Posted by HiTempguy 
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

Reprepping the Rally Tal[hoon]
October 20, 2011 01:03PM
It's been a long two weeks (after buying the Tal[hoon] off of Mike, I came back to work for one day then went and partied in Manhattan for 4 days) but everything is slowly coming together!

This is as the car sat last Wednesday outside of the shop doing the out of province inspection. The shop owner/mechanic is very forgiving for race cars, as they will rarely see actual street duty. Things needed to pass OOP:

-front pads (ordered Hawk HT-10's based on Mr. Burmeister's experience)
-one cv axle had both boots torn
-rear brake lines were flopping around

The nice thing about the shop is that he would pass the car as long as these things would be fixed before being driven on the road (didn't even hassle me about DRL's). I ordered the pads through him anyways, I had him mount the rear brake lines as the shop is 300kms away from mine (charged me $100, whatever works, I consider it a bribe smileys with beer), and I'll replace the cv boots myself.

So, this Saturday we go to pick the car up from the shop and take it to our local CARS tech to see if it complies with the rules. I'm hoping the cage can be grandfathered straight in as it has its SCCA logbook. I'll get some extra bars added (mainly side impact protection AND additional roof bars), but other than that I am hoping to add FIA seats/belts and go (these have already been purchased). We really wanted to do Kananaskis (2nd last event of the WCRC this year), but are holding off as there just isn't enough time to thoroughly shake down the car. We also won't be doing Big White, as I am co-driving for Brandon Semenuk. Currently we are on track to do all 6 events next year of the WCRC smiling bouncing smiley

This also gives me time to get a real modern engine management system in there... its admirable how well the old one works, but I want to be able to pop anti-lag on at will to impress the ladies smoking smiley , so time to upgrade to DSM/ECMlink. I also want to get the car on a dyno to see how everything is doing... Mike said he had only ran race gas through the car, and I am not willing to do that at $800/205L barrel. We'll see how much jam can be squeezed out of it on 91 octane, but so far at 10psi, it "feels" as fast as a max spec PGT wrx. thumbs up
Please Login or Register to post a reply
bean
Rabin Rutten-James
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
None

Re: Reprepping the Rally Tal[hoon]
October 20, 2011 01:19PM
So this is why you missed SCO?

Nice work - that car was a steal!

Rabin
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 20, 2011 01:40PM
HiTempguy
Currently we are on track to do all 6 events next year of the WCRC smiling bouncing smiley

This also gives me time to get a real modern engine management system in there... its admirable how well the old one works, but I want to be able to pop anti-lag on at will to impress the ladies smoking smiley , so time to upgrade to DSM/ECMlink. I also want to get the car on a dyno to see how everything is doing... Mike said he had only ran race gas through the car, and I am not willing to do that at $800/205L barrel. We'll see how much jam can be squeezed out of it on 91 octane, but so far at 10psi, it "feels" as fast as a max spec PGT wrx. thumbs up

I think the paragraph below contradicts that sentence.
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 20, 2011 01:54PM
NoCoast

I think the paragraph below contradicts that sentence.

While I understand your sentiments Grant, in reality, you don't know me tongue sticking out smiley And considering that dsm/ecmlink is almost foolproof, I'll be playing it by year. Anti-lag is simply a push of a button away with it. In all honesty, I probably won't use anti-lag for the first year, as the car spools much sooner than I expected it to with a evo3 turbo on it. My former driver decided to turn on the anti-lag in our then brand new open class STi when we were fighting for a top 5 position at Baie last year... he proceeded to overcook a corner a couple miles into the stage and we rolled it. I was pissed, to say the least.

I have a pretty good handle on my expectations. Free fuel for towing goes a long way to keeping costs down. Having access to two shops, and two incredibly talented people (co-driver and my father) to lean on for support, plus my knowledge of cars in general means I "feel" pretty certain of success. If I want a toy for the car, I'm going to throw it on there, as rallying is one of my few fun outlets grinning smiley If I want to be able to cruise around downtown Edmonton shattering windows with the anti-lag, it's going to happen smileys with beer

bean
So this is why you missed SCO?

Nice work - that car was a steal!

Rabin

Yes it was, and yes it is! The whole story of the craziness that went on to make everything happen is posted elsewhere on the interwebs... needless to say, 8 hours of sleep over 96 hours does some funny things to your head!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 02:01PM by HiTempguy.
bean
Rabin Rutten-James
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
None

October 20, 2011 03:06PM
Link the details then damnit! smiling smiley Sounds like an awesome road trip.

As well as any build blog you have - I'm curious to hear how you make out with it.

Rabin
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 20, 2011 04:26PM
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-rally-talon-of-awesome/40059/page1/

This GRM thread has most of the details chronicling the whole story. Part 3 isn't up yet, but lets just say I nearly threw up after doing something really stupid to the tow vehicle. eye popping smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 20, 2011 09:04PM
Dude you just moved up several positions on th Christmas Card List with your Talhoon name...I can only remember the other ones the Misterbitchy Eclipsed, I won't forget Tal-hoon.thumbs up

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 20, 2011 09:12PM
I'm glad you get it home and are moving forward. That car was a stupid good deal and it was so fricking tempting if for no other reason that just because. You were about 2 miles from us if you were at Mikes storage unit. I'm glad you saved me from yet another great deal/why'd I do that moment.
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 20, 2011 09:53PM
heymagic
I'm glad you get it home and are moving forward. That car was a stupid good deal and it was so fricking tempting if for no other reason that just because. You were about 2 miles from us if you were at Mikes storage unit. I'm glad you saved me from yet another great deal/why'd I do that moment.

Mike suggested we stop by your place, but we didn't have the time. Would have been nice to meet you in person Gene, but that's the way it goes. I am currently in the process of negotiating a significant pay raise with a new company, so I could possibly be back racing in the PNW next spring/summer grinning smiley

The deal is unbelievable. Even if I had to chop the cage out completely and put a new one in, it'd still be an awesome deal. And the fact that John thinks Talhoon is a cool name (currently getting the personal plate made for the car) AND hasn't lambasted me for not joining the rwd army, well, what more could someone want? :p
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

October 20, 2011 10:50PM
The Tal-hoon was a deal that couldn't be passed up (should I mention all the Block Hoonigan connections, or will that get you moved down the JVAB Winter Solstice card list?).

If it was on the east coast, I'd have been supremely stupid...hello MasterCard?

And I want to meet Gene someday "for real" as well. Between him and JV, I owe them several cases of beer each in wisdom gleaned from them!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 21, 2011 12:42AM
fiasco
The Tal-hoon was a deal that couldn't be passed up (should I mention all the Block Hoonigan connections, or will that get you moved down the JVAB Winter Solstice card list?).

If it was on the east coast, I'd have been supremely stupid...hello MasterCard?

And I want to meet Gene someday "for real" as well. Between him and JV, I owe them several cases of beer each in wisdom gleaned from them!

Wisdom from me my ass. You wanna see wisdom go look on the "I crashed my job and got the car pregnant and lost my DUI " thread, the video "The Surprising Science of Motivation", listen to the bit about the Ozzie Hi Tech Corp...that's wisdom---even if I've been saying similar for fawk me 35+ years. 9but I was just observing, this guys reports and backs up things with science and tests, replicable results..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 21, 2011 12:47AM
HiTempguy
And the fact that John thinks Talhoon is a cool name (currently getting the personal plate made for the car) AND hasn't lambasted me for not joining the rwd army, well, what more could someone want? :p

For the second time in one night I quote Tolstoy (almost)
All happy ralliers are all RWD alike; all unhappy ralliers are all unhappy in their AWD way.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 21, 2011 10:16AM
Love the vanity plate. We usually had one : LIL RAT (510), RAT JR (210), SIDWAYS (RX7) and AGAIN (210)

We'll all get together someday and have a big hug (watch JVs hands tho).
alosix
Jason Powers
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

October 21, 2011 09:56PM
Tom @ ECMLink already knows about this car smiling smiley I was bugging him about Gen 1 DSMS when I was considering buying it.
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 22, 2011 11:27PM
So, the car dyno'd 170whp and 230ftpnds today, 18psi, no timing, and about, oh, I don't know, a 9:1 air fuel ratio lol.

I bet I could gain 20whp alone by getting the fuel situation to 11:1!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login