Posted by DR1665 
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

I DROVE IT HOME.
December 18, 2006 10:54PM
That's right, last night, my buddy Dan and I burned the midnight oil hacking the last of the brake system together (I am teh suck at double flaring and will need to redo them all, imo) and we drove the car 42 miles down to the new apartment complex with nary a problem. In fact, the check engine light came on, so I know everything is okay. Wo0t!

Wanted to share. grinning smiley

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Please Login or Register to post a reply
webkris
Kristopher Marciniak
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2003 Dodge Neon

Re: I DROVE IT HOME.
December 18, 2006 11:09PM
Fantastic!

It's a great feeling when the pile of bolts that's been in your garage for way too long starts and runs. Congrats!

- Kris

pics?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2006 11:10PM by webkris.
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

December 19, 2006 02:31AM
Oleeeeeee Ole Ole Oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!

It is ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE !!!

Now get your butt over here and get the measurements for the roll cage. Brandon can bend and weld it for a reasonable price.

Tell me about the brake likes, are they leaking ?

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

December 19, 2006 09:03AM
sagsert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oleeeeeee Ole Ole Oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!
>
> It is ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE !!!
>
> Now get your butt over here and get the
> measurements for the roll cage. Brandon can bend
> and weld it for a reasonable price.
>
> Tell me about the brake likes, are they leaking ?

I couldn't get any of the lines to double flare. I'd crunch the insert down into the line until it felt like I was stripping the tool out, but there was nothing but a moderately rounded edge on the line. I just single flared them and used teflon tape on the connections. There's a couple spots where she seeps past the nut (due to the shoddy flare), but the brakes works just fine and, despite not bleeding the brakes at all (we were flat out of time at the house), she still stops straight and firm, although the tires won't lock up at all.

Roll cage, schmoll cage! winking smiley I already know I'm gonna need new tires, brakes, and at least one CV axle. Add that insurance and registration, and it's going to be later in the year before I go for the cage, Moose. (Not that I don't really want to do that now.) winking smiley

Thanks for the compliments, Kris. More than a pile of bolts, it's cool to start - and drive - a parts car. smiling smiley

Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

December 19, 2006 02:42PM
DR1665 Wrote:
I just single flared them and used teflon
> tape on the connections.

Brian - teflon tape/thread sealer is a no-no on flared or comp. fittings. One, it can lead to overtightening the fitting, and two it won't do a damn thing to stop a leak. Tape/sealer is only for pipe/tapered threads. So you will be doing those fittings over again.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

December 19, 2006 11:13PM
Single flares are also a heavy no-no, the flares can't handle the stress and crack.

Brian when you make the flares, are you setting the tool on the line correctly? The line has to protrude from the clamp a certain amount, usually it's the same as the thickness of the insert's base. Also make sure that the line isn't scooting its way down through a slipping clamp. I had a $50 name-brand flaring tool do that to me every time because the morons who designed it put the 3/16" hole right in the middle where the clamping load was minimal. (Of course 99% of the lines I have to make are 3/16"!) Finally got tired of borrowing other peoples' tools and bought one with a clamp that DIDN'T slip. For like $20.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

December 19, 2006 11:59PM
I borrowed two different tools from Moose and sucked with both of them. For now, on a car with a three years expired New Mexico tag and no insurance which I've yet to get titled in my own name, the brakes work fine. Sometime next month, I plan on losing the check engine light, getting liability on the car, smogging it, and paying Moose a visit to show off. tongue sticking out smiley

I owe Moose some time helping to pull the engine out of his car. In fact, if Moose doesn't mind, I'll see if I can't get a couple volunteers to come over and promote him to team manager (read: heavy drinker who watches) while we pull his borked 4G63 out. Should it go fast enough, perhaps there will be time for Moose to show me how the brake lines are done.

It's getting exciting, fellas. That car just up and moves. Even in stock form.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login