Advanced

I guess I'll share with the class, ITB plenum

Posted by Dazed_Driver 
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Senior Moderator

I guess I'll share with the class, ITB plenum
January 08, 2012 06:09PM
Here's one of the last things I have to fabricate for the rally car. I've got the back carbon fiber end piece attached to the aluminum bit now, and once that's all cured I'll be able to really figure out how I'm attaching the inlet from the airbox.

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Senior Moderator

Re: I guess I'll share with the class, ITB plenum
January 08, 2012 06:11PM
I've still gotta figure out how I'm going to actually attach the two halves together, I'm thinking those little flip clip things (like what on an airbox). I also need to get some thin weatherstripping or maybe foam rubber to make a seal.

phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

January 08, 2012 07:19PM
How about some of the rubber ball in socket things guys use for trunk hold downs? Much less likely to rattle or come loose.

Looks good BTW
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Senior Moderator

January 08, 2012 08:08PM
Oh, that's a good idea. I've only ever seen them in the 4inch or so size, do they make a baby sized one? think Mcmaster would have them? (I don't even know what those are called)

SteveL
Steve Leitch
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Can't decide which to use...

January 08, 2012 09:29PM
Search this number at mcmaster.com 1685A13 It seems like a good bet...

SteveL
This is the point in the killing spree when you really should turn the gun on yourself
JonArmstrong
Jon Armstrong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Rallycross Civic

January 09, 2012 05:44AM
Did you do any calculations to figure out what volume your plenum needed to be? It looks pretty big.

The runner length and plenum volume work together to generate a resonant frequency which can enhance airflow. So, you typically design the runner length, runner diameter, and plenum volume to tune for a specific engine speed to enhance torque. Since your runner length and diameter are already fixed by using an off the shelf part, you should make sure the plenum volume is in the correct range to enhance these already fixed variables.

See page 23 and beyond in here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.not2fast.com%2Fgasflow%2FLecture08.ppt&ei=ydAKT63AKsboggfiu7ivDg&usg=AFQjCNGQ-tw-KBdjU9IWf8GKKgJ_rUNiUA
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

January 09, 2012 10:57AM
Nice work, Good to see you chipping away at it. Two or three wraps of camo duct tape and that thing will be totally Prodrive.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Senior Moderator

January 09, 2012 11:02AM
JonArmstrong
Did you do any calculations to figure out what volume your plenum needed to be? It looks pretty big.

The runner length and plenum volume work together to generate a resonant frequency which can enhance airflow. So, you typically design the runner length, runner diameter, and plenum volume to tune for a specific engine speed to enhance torque. Since your runner length and diameter are already fixed by using an off the shelf part, you should make sure the plenum volume is in the correct range to enhance these already fixed variables.

See page 23 and beyond in here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.not2fast.com%2Fgasflow%2FLecture08.ppt&ei=ydAKT63AKsboggfiu7ivDg&usg=AFQjCNGQ-tw-KBdjU9IWf8GKKgJ_rUNiUA

Yeah, I did. I have a page somewhere bookmarked breaking down the equations, which they got out of a motorcycle tuning book. I've also got another pdf somewhere that is a college dissertation on WRC airboxes (what are the odds, right?) for the Celica, it's like 100+ pages of info.

That airbox is actually slightly smaller than I would have liked, due to size constraints :/ oh well. Maybe version 2.0 will be bigger grinning smiley

EDIT: SKimmed that ppp. Interesting read. I'll have to compare it more to the two sources I used to see where they all differ, and what's the same when I have more time. Maybe I'm right on the money?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 11:07AM by Dazed_Driver.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 09, 2012 11:16AM
did you make the carbon fiber ends? curious why you didnt make it a single piece.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

January 09, 2012 11:37AM
Dazed_Driver
I've still gotta figure out how I'm going to actually attach the two halves together, I'm thinking those little flip clip things (like what on an airbox). I also need to get some thin weatherstripping or maybe foam rubber to make a seal.

When I built the cold air box for my friend's EG33-powered Impreza, I used stock WRX air box clips...he had them around and they were free. Kids toss the stock airboxes all the time.

Opel is a 4-letter word...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10498579@N07/sets/
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Senior Moderator

January 09, 2012 12:14PM
Gravity Fed
did you make the carbon fiber ends? curious why you didnt make it a single piece.

I did. It was easier to go to world market and find a bowl of roughly the right size (diameter, nailed it, unfortunately, the inside of the bowl wasn't a perfect sphere like the outside (save of course for the little "foot"winking smiley was) to use as a mold for the end pieces, vs make a full mold.

Plus, I knew how the back end would be, but the front, due to the inlet, I'm not yet entirely sure where things are going yet.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 09, 2012 01:16PM
Yeah. Where's air going to come into the plenum from?

Grant Hughes
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Senior Moderator

January 09, 2012 02:43PM
Dad dug out an airbox from a suby or mitsubishi last time he was at the pull a part, it fits so well behind the right headlight, you'd think it was stock! That's what'll hold the filter, and then I'll have a little elbow connecting the two. I'll take some pictures. The guy I was supposed to be teaching right now rescheduled, so I have time!

heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 09, 2012 07:14PM
Dazed_Driver
Dad dug out an airbox from a suby or mitsubishi last time he was at the pull a part, it fits so well behind the right headlight, you'd think it was stock! That's what'll hold the filter, and then I'll have a little elbow connecting the two. I'll take some pictures. The guy I was supposed to be teaching right now rescheduled, so I have time!

Teaching someone? You? Does it involve small farm animals?
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Senior Moderator

January 09, 2012 07:33PM
heymagic
Dazed_Driver

Teaching someone? You? Does it involve small farm animals?

Coming from the guy that live in BFE.... We should be checking YOUR place for disturbed animals.

I run Seattle Photography Lessons. I teach Photography and Post Production on Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom and Apple Aperture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login