Posted by MeCalledEvan 
pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

Re: Another RX7 in the mix
January 21, 2012 05:35PM
I finally got around to some cage pics. I snapped a couple but it was starting to rain so I was "motivated" to finish up quickly.

The cage is constructed to comply with the current RA rules but is not intended to be used for Rally at this time.

"I, for one, welcome our Robot Overlords." - Philip J. Fry
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - 100_1760.jpg (163 KB)
100_1760.jpg
open | download - 100_1759.jpg (207.2 KB)
100_1759.jpg
pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

January 21, 2012 05:36PM
More

Attachments:
open | download - 100_1761.jpg (211.9 KB)
100_1761.jpg
open | download - 100_1762.jpg (154.9 KB)
100_1762.jpg
pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

January 21, 2012 05:36PM
Still more

Attachments:
open | download - 100_1763.jpg (160.3 KB)
100_1763.jpg
open | download - 100_1764.jpg (152.2 KB)
100_1764.jpg
pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

January 21, 2012 05:37PM
Even still more

Attachments:
open | download - 100_1765.jpg (167.3 KB)
100_1765.jpg
open | download - 100_1766.jpg (160.8 KB)
100_1766.jpg
pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

January 21, 2012 05:38PM
Last batch

Attachments:
open | download - 100_1767.jpg (145.9 KB)
100_1767.jpg
open | download - 100_1768.jpg (149.5 KB)
100_1768.jpg
MeCalledEvan
Evan Horner
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 Mazda RX7 GSL

January 22, 2012 01:50PM
Thank you Phil! It's helpful to see the photos. I appreciate it.

I was looking at the X-bracing for the anti-intrusion door bars that you have. How is the elbow room with that design? It might just be because of the factory seats, but I've noticed that there doesn't seem like there's too much room for those bars to be very high up. How I sit in the car, I feel like I would hit my funny bone every time I turn left. Do you have issues with that?

Update: I've started taking measurements of the interior of my Mazda. I'm using my CAD program to put together a point cloud and will start figuring out the geometry and design fairly soon. I'll post a screenshot of it once it looks less like a clusterfuck.

I used to be very proficient at welding but haven't had much of a chance to practice the past few years because of working on a carbon fiber race car. I've been practicing welding a lot lately. I've decided to MIG the cage together because I'm still too much of a novice with TIG to trust myself. I've been focusing on welding different thickness sheets together, filling in holes, creating even beads on sheet metal, and welding at odd angles. All of which I think will be necessary to be good at with this. I'll be starting to practice on tubing soon. Any tips?

Finally, here is a tangent that is hopefully a bit of a treat for everyone.
I am the brakes design lead for my Formula SAE team, and have finally finished my design for the brakes system of the car. It is designed to be capable of decelerating the car at 1.38 G with 110 lb of pedal force. We are using Tilton-77 series master cylinders, an in-house manufactured bias bar designed after Tilton's bar, Wilwood PS-1 calipers with custom-made pads using their BP-10 pad compound (so that we can use cast iron rotors).
The real glitches that I was facing during design was that in a normal car, the brake rotors are overbuilt by a magnitude of around 10 so that they can cope with the thermal energy they create during multiple braking cycles. In a Formula SAE car, there isn't this luxury because of the mass of the car, and the autocross style of racing. I created a thermal calculator that told me I needed to make my front rotors somewhere around 200 grams each to make them run in the ideal temperature range for almost any pad compound. This is impossible due to the strength of the material. At 200 grams, they would just turn into crumpled tin foil with the first braking cycle. So I really needed to make them as light as possible, while still retaining enough strength for a safety factor of around 2. Not only that, I needed to analyze and run their masses through my thermal energy calculator to get them as thermally balanced as I could.
So after 2 months of hand calculations, guess and check, analyzing load paths, and learning and using assembly FEA (which, by the way, I'm now more proficient at FEA using CATIA than any of my professors), here are the rotors that I have come up with:
Front is on top, rear on bottom. Front rotors are 0.96 lbs and 0.15" thick each, rear rotors are 0.449 lbs and 0.13" thick.

"The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and have so much more to learn." - Claude Rouelle, Optimum G lecture June, 2011
Attachments:
open | download - Front Rotor Rev DA.jpg (235.6 KB)
Front Rotor Rev DA.jpg
open | download - Rear Rotor Rev DA.jpg (255.2 KB)
Rear Rotor Rev DA.jpg
pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

January 22, 2012 05:38PM
MeCalledEvan
I was looking at the X-bracing for the anti-intrusion door bars that you have. How is the elbow room with that design? It might just be because of the factory seats, but I've noticed that there doesn't seem like there's too much room for those bars to be very high up. How I sit in the car, I feel like I would hit my funny bone every time I turn left. Do you have issues with that?

For me, they are fine but I am 6'1". So, depending on your height, you may have issues. I recommend that you have your race seats and a rough idea where you are mounting them before doing your bars. With the narrowness and the short height of the RX7, there are comprimises to be made. We had to go as low as possible for me to have sufficient headroom which meant that we couldn't have the seat closer to the midline of the car due to the shape of the transmission hump. We also had issues with my original plan of using a headwing OMP seat due to the curve of the side of the car. Since the car is a road race car for now, we went with a Kirky aluminum seat.

MeCalledEvan
Evan Horner
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 Mazda RX7 GSL

January 22, 2012 06:56PM
pdxphil42

For me, they are fine but I am 6'1". So, depending on your height, you may have issues. I recommend that you have your race seats and a rough idea where you are mounting them before doing your bars. With the narrowness and the short height of the RX7, there are comprimises to be made. We had to go as low as possible for me to have sufficient headroom which meant that we couldn't have the seat closer to the midline of the car due to the shape of the transmission hump. We also had issues with my original plan of using a headwing OMP seat due to the curve of the side of the car. Since the car is a road race car for now, we went with a Kirky aluminum seat.

Since I'm only 5'7" I will probably have a little more wiggle room than you. Even still, with the stock seats and a helmet on, I'm getting pretty close to the ceiling of the car.

"The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and have so much more to learn." - Claude Rouelle, Optimum G lecture June, 2011
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

January 22, 2012 11:45PM
Phil, those Kirkey seats are legal currently for rally, if you add a seat back brace. That is what Gene told me.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 23, 2012 04:54AM
phlat65
Phil, those Kirkey seats are legal currently for rally, if you add a seat back brace. That is what Gene told me.

For Rally America only. NASA requires FIA. (something else Gene pointed out to me not too long ago).

So yea, no reason you cant at least make an event though. I hear they run a rally or two in Oregon. cool smiley

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 23, 2012 10:52AM
Gravity Fed
phlat65

For Rally America only. NASA requires FIA. (something else Gene pointed out to me not too long ago).

So yea, no reason you cant at least make an event though. I hear they run a rally or two in Oregon. cool smiley

FIA is required for NRS logged cars, not RA cars at NRS events. RA can use properly mounted aluminum seats at NRS events. I knida always thought these were neat http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=8
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

January 23, 2012 01:18PM
Price is nice!
pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

January 23, 2012 05:31PM
MeCalledEvan
Since I'm only 5'7" I will probably have a little more wiggle room than you. Even still, with the stock seats and a helmet on, I'm getting pretty close to the ceiling of the car.

I think you'll find that with a race seat, you'll have a lot more flexability. The stock RX7 seats put you pretty far off the floor. It is a tight fit though. I've got my seat set pretty far back, almost to the main hoop.

pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

January 23, 2012 05:34PM
heymagic
Gravity Fed
phlat65

FIA is required for NRS logged cars, not RA cars at NRS events. RA can use properly mounted aluminum seats at NRS events. I knida always thought these were neat http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=8

This is my backup car for rally but I am planning on running it for ChumpCar and some track days. I did an RA legal cage in case the other car gets stuffed. Then I'll have a head start on the next rally car.

heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 23, 2012 05:34PM
Yes, put the main hoop way back on the shelf and not the actual floor. You can lean it back 10* also if needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login