Posted by MeCalledEvan 
MeCalledEvan
Evan Horner
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 Mazda RX7 GSL

Rear Strut Tower Extensions
February 18, 2012 12:24PM
So the 1st generation Mazda RX7 has a total of around 204mm of shock travel . Not really enough for stage rally. While Im building my cage, I'm going to extend the strut towers and eventually put in some Bilstein B46-series shocks with about 30mm more travel that are ~100mm longer at full retract and 120mm at full extend. Until I do get those dampers, I'm planning on making a mounting extension for the stock damper and use those until I can afford the bigger shock.

I've been looking up ways to make these towers. I figure I could build a box out of some .120 plate, drill a few sets of holes in the sides for different mounting points, and weld those in as the new strut tower. Another thing I have seen done (by Adam Crane in his first 86) was using some steel pipe (probably 6"X.120 or something around there) and capping the top with plate as the body for the tower extension.

I would like to have the adjust-ability for the different height shock top mounts, which makes the "boxed" tower extension appealing, but using the pipe would reduce part count and make it easier to make symmetrical towers.

If you were in my position, how would you approach this? Have you done something similar to your rear strut towers and why did you do what you did for it?

Thanks,
--Evan Horner

"The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and have so much more to learn." - Claude Rouelle, Optimum G lecture June, 2011

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 12:25PM by MeCalledEvan.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login