Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Swedish Endeavors: Project Rally Tractor
June 20, 2012 12:01PM
sidewaez
NoCoast
Just a side note, I had a set of six 15X7 et 35 Compomotives that I picked up used from Sprongl's. They too required a 25 mm spacer up front but since they were 15X7 they stuck out super far. Ended up getting a set of 4 15X6 et 25 Compomotives which kept the inside of the wheel at the same location as the 15X7 with 25 mm spacers but brought the outside edge 1 inch inward. I run the 15X7 in the rear and the 15X6 up front.
Just FYI in case you ever decide to buy some rally wheels.

Staggered wheels, good idea! Pat as your attorney I advise you to buy two sets of custom rally wheels!

That was a note on offset for Sean who is using a 25 mm spacer on the Merkur. smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

September 14, 2012 02:13AM
A good number of days are being put into the beast recently. Lots of the projects have just 5-10% of ts to cross and eyes to dot. Seaming welding is nearing completion as is the rear suspension project. Spent a good chunk of time tonight welding up holes. We got more plugs than hair club for men. Its nice seeing the starry night effect disappear. Also some progress with the engine mounts. Material is in for the sleeves for the bushings and a pattern for the flanges should be sent to the laser cutter here shortly.

I'm really happy with what we got done tonight. Felt like Blake and I worked well together as a team and we got to move onto a new phase, always helpful towards motivation. This is taking far longer than expected, but that was expected. In the long run though I am happy I have gone this route. This is certainly not the cheapest or quickest way into rally but I am learning so much along the way and this will be MY car when we are done. Feels good. Time for sleep.

Zap zap my ass...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 02:14AM by slidewayswrx.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 14, 2012 10:12AM
slidewayswrx
not the cheapest or quickest way into rally but I am learning so much along the way and this will be MY car when we are done. Feels good. Time for sleep.

Yep..feels good. And you can be proud.. And the damn thing will last longer, and feel better.

Getting any sleep?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

September 14, 2012 10:47PM
john vanlandingham
slidewayswrx
not the cheapest or quickest way into rally but I am learning so much along the way and this will be MY car when we are done. Feels good. Time for sleep.

Yep..feels good. And you can be proud.. And the damn thing will last longer, and feel better.

Getting any sleep?

Yeah we're getting some sleep. She is still only getting in like 2-3 hours at a time but Terra takes a majority of the night time stuff and then I get up early and mom gets 2-3 hours of sleep by herself. We have some rough nights but it seems without fail, she is full of smiles the next morning. How do they know to do that?

Zap zap my ass...
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

September 14, 2012 10:53PM
Because if they didn't, we would smother them.....

Even the roughest nights are worth it. Remember, it only gets better, then they go back down hill at 12...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 14, 2012 11:55PM
slidewayswrx
john vanlandingham
slidewayswrx

Getting any sleep?

Yeah we're getting some sleep. She is still only getting in like 2-3 hours at a time but Terra takes a majority of the night time stuff and then I get up early and mom gets 2-3 hours of sleep by herself. We have some rough nights but it seems without fail, she is full of smiles the next morning. How do they know to do that?
\
Was just saying to my dear wife: its inside all of use just need about any little thing to come out.
But, where's more piccies you wrotten wabbit? Of you and the little one---

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 11:56PM by john vanlandingham.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

September 15, 2012 01:04PM
Here is my little Esther Mae. She is quite a smily little girl

And I've already got her in training

We are about to head out the door to Esther's third Timber's game. She has been good luck so far so lets hope she helps us to beat those Flounders from up north and bring the cup back home. After that it is down to Salem for a big farm party with 3 bands, 100+ friends and three kegs. This will be Es' first time camping, nervous, but excited.

But this is a car forum.
We will back out working on the Volvo Tuesday and Wednesday. Blake might get some done today as well. We are pushing hard so that we can get on to the next steps and the car out of Blake's shop.

Zap zap my ass...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 15, 2012 08:25PM
slidewayswrx
Here is my little Esther Mae. She is quite a smily little girl

But this is a car forum.
We will back out working on the Volvo Tuesday and Wednesday. Blake might get some done today as well. We are pushing hard so that we can get on to the next steps and the car out of Blake's shop.

Great piccies, but then again I'm sappy that way.

And no this is a social get together vaguely related to siding cars around.

One day guys will realise the important shit is all the stuff they think is unimportant.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

September 16, 2012 08:36PM
Little Esther is a keeper for sure! Enjoy it Pat, before you know it she will be rolling her eyes and informing you about how you are the biggest dork on earth.

Stay on target with the brick, no one is ever at the start of a rally thinking "man I wish I had done a shittier job on this thing."
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 16, 2012 10:24PM
There was so many rally babies this summer. You, me, Eddie Fiorelli all with girls that I can think of without thinking. My facebook count was around 10 that were mostly car friends during in June-August. Super cute pics!
We're going to our first soccer match when US women's team plays Australia this Wednesday. She has come to all our outdoor and indoor soccer games though. Speaking of, time to go fall over from playing tonight. We'll go to Rapids v Galaxy and the 30th as well. She also went to watch my wife coach yesterday morning, but that was 4 year olds.

Grant Hughes
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

September 18, 2012 02:45PM
In between periods of taking care of the little one I've been trying to slowly regain some momentum on the home front so I've been at little projects for the Volvo. One of those little projects is the new door cards. The OE Volvo cards are just fibre board hung from a formed piece of galvanized. My plan is to keep this metal piece as my upper anchoring point and then just hang plastic of it, in much the same manner that volvo did.

So two questions.
-I've never had luck getting paint to stick to galvanized. Even with primer and light sanding it just flakes off. Any tips?

-Unless some one has a line on some cheap carbon they would care to share, what plastic? I liked Sean's original cards. Clever use of cheap material, but I had in mind black.

Thanks for the help guys. I've got to stay at this even if it is a threat to our friends to the north.

Zap zap my ass...
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

September 18, 2012 03:00PM
Just go to tap plastics, they have some black textured stuff that bends really well with a heat gun. Pretty cheap too.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

October 28, 2012 05:40PM
We keep plugging away. The last reinforcement gussets have been welded to the shock tabs on the axles and Blake also got the filler pieces to tie the tops of the turrets to the wheel arches fabbed and welded in meaning the rear suspension work is now done. I'd say that the filling of the all the holes in chassis is also done but we keeping finding more of the little buggers. We are also about half way done adding the 1" square "rock rails" and captive nuts for the underbody.

Also been filling in some holes in my tool arsenal and sourcing parts for the next steps. Blake was going to try and get some work done on the engine mounts, thats next.

All in all a good honest build

Zap zap my ass...
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

October 29, 2012 01:15PM
looks more like a simpsons character.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 29, 2012 02:28PM
it's a sign!
Hallie-jew-jah!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login