Posted by slidewayswrx 
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Re: Swedish Endeavors: Project Rally Tractor
January 22, 2014 12:08PM
Haha sorry if I make you feel like your on trial, i'm just asking a question, not criticizing. Im in the process of building mounts... probably in the same location as yours and figured I would ask just incase you did have something under there.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fidel
lawrence knox
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
78" volvo 242

January 22, 2014 12:57PM
slidewayswrx

Gah! Every time I post something on here it's like going to trial. No fun. Sorry Fidel but that is my choice and it happens to be the same choice that many other rally car builders have chosen to make.
hey patrick, didn't intend to start an inqusition. i'm just trying to give some constructive criticism . definatly your call , its your car and your body , i just never want to see anyone get hurt.

slidewayswrx
Floor mounted pedal box, extended column, and stick. This all puts you closer to the strongest part of the cage. It is also the reason for door bars that some might consider too high. For side impacts I think the seats are in the best possible location.

i'm not woried about lower firewall possible intrusion now.

i like your main hoop, door bars and seat possition more than 80% of what i see done on 240's .

mutch better than this possition of the main hoop

, and with the bottom of your main hoop it is tied in were it is a box section running across the chassis , so the lower bar is not as critical

slidewayswrx
The shell is much much stronger than your dd.
i agree it is everywere except for the big almost flat quarter panel.
slidewayswrx
I fail to see how cutting out the structure for the backseat armrest is going to make my doors fly off.
the bracing on the inside quarter and the rear arm rest isn't just there for side impact and to keep the quarter from being floppy. it also serves to keep the b-pillar from deforming and poping the door latch . i would atleast reinforce the latch area.

i personally would be worried about the main hoop in the center without any cross bar. is the harness bar going to be in or on the main hoop?

slidewayswrx
Yet another way to die in horrific fashion
hahaha , i hope not , i would preferer to see 2wd dominated by volvos!

lawrence knox aka fidel
knox motorspors
knoxmotorsports.us
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2014 02:38PM
fidel
[hahaha , i hope not , i would preferer to see 2wd dominated by volvos!

Plus Juan!

(by da way I say Main hoop about half way between the 2 examples...Foot at base of B pillar (front edge of tube about middle of pillar, hoop leaned slightly back so leading edge of tube is a smidge behind pillar at mid point of pillar)
neener neener!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

January 23, 2014 12:08AM
Pat, he does have a point about the latch. I could see that striker area easilly deforming and letting go of the door. Maybe a small 1" tube tie in to the main hoop?
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

January 23, 2014 12:48PM
fidel
hey patrick, didn't intend to start an inqusition. i'm just trying to give some constructive criticism . definatly your call , its your car and your body , i just never want to see anyone get hurt.

No, that's fine was just like trying to throw some positive vibes to this site that is all like overrun with negativity man but it just keeps pulling me down man. Sorry Fidel you were just unfortunate enough to be my tipping point. There is so much constant bitching on this site I told Blake the other day, "well if no one is say anything then we must be doing an ok job." I think that's a pretty accurate statement. I have no problem with you sharing your opinions here, after all a large reason for this thread is for the next persons benefit. I'll answer questions like Eric's all day.

fidel
i like your main hoop, door bars and seat possition more than 80% of what i see done on 240's .

mutch better than this possition of the main hoop

Placing the main hoop was a decesion we went back and forth on quite a few times. I co-drove for Al Kun a few times and he persuaded me to push it back. Very glad we did. The only thing I like more about the placement like what is pictured above is that the foot is lower or taller. As for leaning the hoop back, 90's and squares are strong and plentiful in the Volvo. Why fuck with it?

fidel
, and with the bottom of your main hoop it is tied in were it is a box section running across the chassis , so the lower bar is not as critical

While that box section has been compromised by the addition of the 4-link boxes it should still provide a good amount of strength and I personally like the idea of allowing some of that energy to be absorbed by the shell. So with that thinking the boxes are kind of side crumple zones. We looked at putting a lower bar in the main hoop but the boxes pushed it high enough that it created a weird leverage point on the base of the main hoop. Decisions at every turn and a compromise to go with each one.

fidel
the bracing on the inside quarter and the rear arm rest isn't just there for side impact and to keep the quarter from being floppy. it also serves to keep the b-pillar from deforming and poping the door latch . i would atleast reinforce the latch area.

I can see that as reasonable concern. While the door x is not tied to the b-pillar, it is fitted close enough that a bit of rod could be welded in to stitch the two together. Think that would be adequate?

fidel
i personally would be worried about the main hoop in the center without any cross bar. is the harness bar going to be in or on the main hoop?

The harness bar attaches at the main hoop and bends behind the x. Not in tension but helps a bit.

Zap zap my ass...
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 23, 2014 01:35PM
Rolls with doors flying off are cool. I say leave it!
And nice work. Anticipated completion date?

Grant Hughes
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

January 23, 2014 06:12PM
Trying to get it done for the summer series of Tarmac hill climbs. We will see. Other deadlines have come and gone.

Zap zap my ass...
fidel
lawrence knox
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
78" volvo 242

January 24, 2014 10:47AM
slidewayswrx
No, that's fine was just like trying to throw some positive vibes to this site that is all like overrun with negativity man but it just keeps pulling me down man. Sorry Fidel you were just unfortunate enough to be my tipping point. There is so much constant bitching on this site I told Blake the other day, "well if no one is say anything then we must be doing an ok job." I think that's a pretty accurate statement. I have no problem with you sharing your opinions here, after all a large reason for this thread is for the next persons benefit. I'll answer questions like Eric's all day.
all good, i have a tendency to just be blunt and to the point. and as always things never come across the same typed as it do verbally.

you are doing better than ok, its looking great!

definatly agreed that info for the next 240 build is definatly a benifit to us all.
slidewayswrx
Placing the main hoop was a decesion we went back and forth on quite a few times. I co-drove for Al Kun a few times and he persuaded me to push it back. Very glad we did.
i've been messing with 1 and 2 series volvos for way to long and yes i'm still going back and forth on every design. its always going to be a comprimise in some way .
and i say you made the right call, driver comfort and saftey are the things we should comprimise on the least
slidewayswrx
The only thing I like more about the placement like what is pictured above is that the foot is lower or taller. As for leaning the hoop back, 90's and squares are strong and plentiful in the Volvo. Why fuck with it?
very true on the foot. when i get back to mine, i'm gonna lay the hoop back , its a comprimise between the two. we call them bricks for a reason, haha.
slidewayswrx
While that box section has been compromised by the addition of the 4-link boxes it should still provide a good amount of strength and I personally like the idea of allowing some of that energy to be absorbed by the shell. So with that thinking the boxes are kind of side crumple zones. We looked at putting a lower bar in the main hoop but the boxes pushed it high enough that it created a weird leverage point on the base of the main hoop. Decisions at every turn and a compromise to go with each one.
with 4-link box welded fully , probably didnt comramise it much.definatly agree on letting the shell absorb some enery. i just like all the crumple zones all outside of the cage. i'm gonna go a bit shorter on the 4-link boxes to be able to run a cross bar without having in a funky postion. once again comprimises, comprimises
slidewayswrx
I can see that as reasonable concern. While the door x is not tied to the b-pillar, it is fitted close enough that a bit of rod could be welded in to stitch the two together. Think that would be adequate?
i would probably just break a box out of sheet metal that goes vertical to make the b pilar continuous from floor to the top by the lower window frame, and have a horizontal brace inside right above and below the latch. then stitch that to the door x. i'm more concerend about it twisting in and back than going directly in . thinking of it you could probally raid that section from a 4 door at the yard if they let ya take cordless drills and cut off in.
slidewayswrx
The harness bar attaches at the main hoop and bends behind the x. Not in tension but helps a bit.
cool , anything is better than nothing. keep up the good work! smileys with beer

NoCoast
Rolls with doors flying off are cool.
sure for the spectators , hahaha

lawrence knox aka fidel
knox motorspors
knoxmotorsports.us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 10:50AM by fidel.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

January 24, 2014 11:08PM
fidel
i would probably just break a box out of sheet metal that goes vertical to make the b pilar continuous from floor to the top by the lower window frame, and have a horizontal brace inside right above and below the latch. then stitch that to the door x. i'm more concerend about it twisting in and back than going directly in . thinking of it you could probally raid that section from a 4 door at the yard if they let ya take cordless drills and cut off in.

Seeing that I have a 244 parts car sitting in the garage, I like this idea

Here is a pic of the most recent progress. Shows the dimple dies in the a-pillar, harness bar and dash fitment. We were finalizing placement of the dash bar and taking measurements for the steering column. Also happens to be the first time the car has seen front fenders in over 2 years.

Zap zap my ass...
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (48.8 KB)
image.jpg
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

January 26, 2014 10:31PM
Blake has been going at it this weekend. Getting near wrapping things up at primitive. Es and I stopped by to drop off the turn signal indicators and and high beam/wiper stalks and check the steering wheel placement. Looking great. And yes she was making vroom vroom noises.

Zap zap my ass...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 10:35PM by slidewayswrx.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (46.3 KB)
image.jpg
open | download - image.jpg (50.1 KB)
image.jpg
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

January 26, 2014 11:30PM
Haha looks like you need an fia approved child seat! Man that would actually be sweet!

The work into the steering column in particular is amazing. Just curious is there going to be any adjustability to the column? You know so Es can drive! winking smiley

Also for the seat mounts did you cut into the floors and then weld the bars into the groove you cut to get them as low as possible? I was doing some mocking up for the seats yesterday and was thinking there is no way this is going to work unless I can get them lower.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

January 27, 2014 10:00AM
The column adjusts at the square piece. Three sets of holes allow a bit of movement up and down.

As for the seat mounts, you can see how the were done 4 pics up. Loop down off the sill bar and welded to plates on the trans tunnel. Probably about an inch off the floor. The is acres of space above the seat and my head. Now granted I'm not the tallest of guys but go back over to Alex's build thread. After looking at the rx7 I feel I could teach ballroom dancing in the Volvo.

Zap zap my ass...
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

January 27, 2014 01:00PM
slidewayswrx
The column adjusts at the square piece. Three sets of holes allow a bit of movement up and down.

As for the seat mounts, you can see how the were done 4 pics up. Loop down off the sill bar and welded to plates on the trans tunnel. Probably about an inch off the floor. The is acres of space above the seat and my head. Now granted I'm not the tallest of guys but go back over to Alex's build thread. After looking at the rx7 I feel I could teach ballroom dancing in the Volvo.

Thanks for the input patrick. Headroom isn't the concern, my concern is how close the seat appears to be to my legs. I will play around with how the seat is angled and see how much that helps.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

March 11, 2014 05:49PM
Hey john, get my check? Any headway on getting the remote oil filter kit together. Any missing pieces I should look to source myself? Trying to get stuff all mocked up before bodywork and paint. Thanks hombre

Zap zap my ass...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 11, 2014 06:13PM
slidewayswrx
Hey john, get my check? Any headway on getting the remote oil filter kit together. Any missing pieces I should look to source myself? Trying to get stuff all mocked up before bodywork and paint. Thanks hombre

Yeah got it and got all this stuff on the dinner table..Trying to pack it but I had to do Anna's 9th Bifday on Sunday and then bake a cake yesterday..
I got to thinking that some stuff maybe we hold on like PP and disc if you and Blake gonna drag the motore up for some assembly?
Kinda dumb sending heavy just justr to drive it up later..
Andways remote stuff and disco and bell/caliper/pads.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login