Posted by DaveK 
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

Evo Build
April 23, 2012 11:03PM
Thought since I've been neglecting the BMW Compact build lately that I'd toss up what I'm working on instead. So...I present you the ulitmate money pit.

First off, we're on the list for Pikes Peak once again and that's where we'll be focusing our efforts with the Evo. I've got a few balls up in the air and as things fall into place, I'll be sure to tell you all about it. smiling smiley

Two big changes at Pikes Peak this year:

1) There's no more AWD and 2WD divisions in Time Attack - just one huge class with more than 25 entrants (seems to change up or down every few weeks).

2) There will be qualifying needed to make the big show on race day.

Pikes Peak has been gaining pavement at an alarming rate over the last five years. :crap: I built my Evo as a rally car and have been slowly adapting it into more of a road race car. Last year we made the decision that we'd focus on Pikes Peak and if we had a car afterwards, we'd see if we could put it to use elsewhere.

We got a chance to run the Monarch Hill Climb in September and really had a blast (and set a record!). That event really cemented for me that this racing thing doesn't always need to be so serious. Gotta have those laid back just-for-fun weekends too.

I still think the decision to keep the Evo fresh for Pikes Peak is a good idea, so I'll still be trying to get the BMW finished up as time and money allows.

Thanks as always for checking it out! Any questions, please ask away.

Dave
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

Re: Evo Build
April 23, 2012 11:12PM
Digging way back, here are some shots of the build from back in late 2007 thru early 2008:

And a shot before its first competition run in May 2008. Ran this one on the stock shocks...bottomed out hard.

Dave
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 23, 2012 11:15PM
Damn, I like them Evos.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 23, 2012 11:19PM
A few upgrades:

DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 23, 2012 11:43PM
Then it was time to Pikes Peakify the car. In 2008, the race was half dirt and half tarmac. I opted to stick with the small brakes and wheels and ran the Yoko intermediates. I also put some funny looking aero on the car:

OMG, so many millions of fans, I should'a been charging peeps. LOL

Had a good run at the hill that year. We were in close battles with another guy in a fast road-race subaru, but on race day I must've found another gear up in the dirt, as I put 45 seconds on him. I'm thinking a combination of the tires and downforce.

The big takeaway message from the year (though I didn't learn it until years later) is that stockish cars can be more fun, if simply because of the reliability. The car had the normal bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, IC & piping, injectors, AEM, and E85 tune) and ran like a top all week. The only issue we ran into was on race day coming through the W's when the car started running hot. I dialed it back a notch and shifted 5-800 rpm earlier and by the time we headed into Bottomless Pit, the temps were back to normal. Crossed the line with a new record which for some strange allignment of the stars still hasn't been beaten. With the classes (2wd & AWD) combined now, I suppose the real time to beat is what Rod Millen set last summer in Rhys' drift car.

Here's some vids from 2008:

DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 23, 2012 11:44PM
john vanlandingham
Damn, I like them Evos.

Wait...what? You on pain killers? drinking smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 24, 2012 12:00AM
DaveK
john vanlandingham
Damn, I like them Evos.

Wait...what? You on pain killers? drinking smiley

No just ciggies.
I've built 2 subies and 3 4G62. I've peered into a PILE of deader than dead Subie gearboxes, and built a couple or 3 Mitsubishis, I know what a R160 is and what's in back of an Evo..

Subaru for the longest time made all their "reputation" on the Group A and World Rally Cars with ever greater separation from anything related to the basic road car....

Mitsubishi wanted Group N results, so they made an excellent Group N car, and kept improving as the restrictor size went down from 38mm down to 32. Durability is multiples better, serviceability, from what I can study---and I do have a critical eye for that cause as i always say: "who da fawk do we have for service crews mostly?"----looks a lot better.
Balance is inarguably better.

Way back in 2000 I was over in UK just a week after Rally of Fawkin South Wakes aka Rally GB and the joke going around was "Howdya beat a 25,000 quid Evo?"
answer; "easy just build a 125,000 quid Subaru".

Says something.

one thing I'm curious of is what's the length of the shorter of the front driveshafts...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 24, 2012 12:09AM
Speaking of diffs. I've run Cusco, Carbonetics, and modded stock with more plates...and the modded stock has outlasted all the other fancy expensive crap. Wish someone had told me to stick with the stock ones, could've saved a pile of money.

Dave
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 24, 2012 01:32AM
DaveK
Speaking of diffs. I've run Cusco, Carbonetics, and modded stock with more plates...and the modded stock has outlasted all the other fancy expensive crap. Wish someone had told me to stick with the stock ones, could've saved a pile of money.

Dave

Modded stock. Was it a 'pumped up" VC?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 24, 2012 01:36AM
In the US the diffs come with X number of discs, but 2 of the plates are installed backwards. So, simply installing the plates in the correct orientation increases you back to 8 surfaces. Several companies offer a 12 plate mod. I think they're just replacing shims with more plates, but haven't opened one up to know how it all works.

Dave
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

April 24, 2012 03:32AM
john vanlandingham
serviceability, from what I can study---and I do have a critical eye for that cause as i always say: "who da fawk do we have for service crews mostly?"----looks a lot better.

Actually, serviceability is much better on a Subaru. Try doing a 20 minute transmission change on an Evo... oh that's right, you don't have to.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

April 24, 2012 12:28PM
john vanlandingham
one thing I'm curious of is what's the length of the shorter of the front driveshafts...

Not sure if this helps, but from the service manual:

Nubby
Tony Wells
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

April 24, 2012 12:40PM
And Dave, car looks fantastic as always. But I'm biased. smiling smiley
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 24, 2012 12:47PM
Nubby
And Dave, car looks fantastic as always. But I'm biased. smiling smiley

Thanks! I wish it still looked that fantastic. I'll try to keep adding bits of info here over the next few weeks to get caught up to preparations for the 2012 run at Pikes Peak...damn tarmac!

If anyone sees something and wants more pics/details on that aspect of something, LMK because I've probaby got some more pics I could post up. I've been grabbing less than 10% of what I've got, just looking for the interesting ones. smiling smiley

Dave
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

April 24, 2012 11:24PM
What tire are you running this year? ;-)

Jason McDaniel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login