NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Free depression
January 26, 2007 01:04PM
http://www.rallyrace.net/

Bums me out that Skye's car was so close and he's lost motivation. I'd love to hear his reasoning.
Looking back, it's been like 3.5 years since the Supra diff solution was 'figured' out, but it's yet to be implemented, except by some drifter kid (and not nicely implemented though).
Big brake kits has been in the works for like 3 years, and not one running car with it yet.
I decided to build a XR on the basis of I could build a real race car. I had the realization yesterday that with what I've spent so far, I could have taken my Impreza, put in diffs, rally prep stuff, and good suspension. Maybe even upgraded the brakes.
I'm halfway tempted to list up my whole list of parts and sell them all off like Paddy did. Except I am so close. Rear brake solution has been figured out. Fronts were paid mostly for over a year ago so that's just a waiting game. Cooling system is mostly complete. Cage needs finishing, but is close. Cosmetic package is ordered and paid for.
I have this $10K pile of parts sitting on the floor. But I'm not happy with my job or with my school and am halfway tempted to move. But I have no car, a big rally project and a lease keeping me here. Not to mention lots of good friends. Suppose I just have to buck up and finish the car. Once it's done it should be relatively easy to maintain. I'm on the look out for a spare rear beam that isn't bent so that I can actually use this Supra diff and adapters. Or maybe I'll just stick with the welded one. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood because the girlfriend left to the Phillipines, then I got super sick and was stuck at home in bed all day yesterday and haven't been able to eat since Wednesday night. Anyhow, I think I'm going to go spend a bunch of money on some non-rally car stuff this afternoon to make me feel better. And we have a WRC party at my house tonight so that should be fun. Especially if Aaron McConnell makes it over like he is hoping to.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

Re: Free depression
January 26, 2007 02:41PM
NoCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bums me out that Skye's car was so close and he's
> lost motivation. I'd love to hear his reasoning.

I think BB King put it best when he said, "The thrill is gone." Who knows why some people, who were once so on fire about a project, hang it up. Could be he's found another torch to carry. Could be he's devoted so much energy to a single, large goal, that he got burned out due to lack of motivation. Then again, maybe he found Jesus. Who knows.

NoCoast Wrote:
> I'm halfway tempted to list up my whole list of
> parts and sell them all off like Paddy did.
> Except I am so close. Rear brake solution has
> been figured out. Fronts were paid mostly for
> over a year ago so that's just a waiting game.
> Cooling system is mostly complete. Cage needs
> finishing, but is close. Cosmetic package is
> ordered and paid for.

Preach it! In the last month, I've sold both my Megasquirt and Zeitronix wideband O2 sensor in order to fund other projects. I've had both of them almost two years, now, and haven't completely installed either. I've still got a set of Fidanza adjustable cam gears and most of a Greddy Evo catback exhaust sitting in my garage to be installed on the Talon in addtion to a head gasket replacement. I've also got a really good lead on all the rear suspension parts to convert my Talon to rear disc brakes with a beefy sway bar, but I've just been feeling blah towards putting any more money into the Talon.

Lately, I've been giving real serious thought to reverting my Talon back to stock under the hood (I could never sell Daisy outright) and using the money to work on the Galant or at least make Daisy look pretty enough that I won't be so damned humble driving it to and from work. Then I get to thinking about it and I realize I'll lose my ass on those mods and wouldn't have $500 after I sold them and got a new engine in there. What's the point of that? Blarg.

NoCoast Wrote:
> I have this $10K pile of parts sitting on the
> floor. But I'm not happy with my job or with my
> school and am halfway tempted to move. But I have
> no car, a big rally project and a lease keeping me
> here. Not to mention lots of good friends.
> Suppose I just have to buck up and finish the car.

Word is born. I have about $6k invested into my Talon. My job is about as exciting as watching the linoleum curling on the bathroom floor. I'm almost $80k in debt to DeVry for an education which I feel isn't going to pay off (student loan payments are looking to be about 50% of my net monthly income at this point), and I've visited Salt Lake City and Kansas City with serious considerations of moving, myself. Then I think about all the good friends I have here in Arizona and how I'm just now starting to become a contributing part of the CRS and my desire to live somewhere the housing is more affordable and where there is a lot of rain and pine trees and the PNW keeps looking sweeter and sweeter.

EDIT: This is to say that I like the network I'm building up out this way, but I would really like to live someplace cleaner, cooler, and greener. I would have to give up a lot to move away from here, but part of me is still really intrigued by it. Of course, Germany is always considered home...

NoCoast Wrote:
> Once it's done it should be relatively easy to
> maintain. I'm on the look out for a spare rear
> beam that isn't bent so that I can actually use
> this Supra diff and adapters. Or maybe I'll just
> stick with the welded one.

See? You're almost there! Rather than think so much about how much you've still got left to do, remind yourself of how much you have managed to accomplish thus far! The glass is half full and what is it half full of? Rally Xratty goodness which will come unglued and turn a LOT of heads just as soon as you button it up.

NoCoast Wrote:
> Maybe I'm just in a bad mood because the girlfriend left to the
> Phillipines, then I got super sick and was stuck
> at home in bed all day yesterday and haven't been
> able to eat since Wednesday night. Anyhow, I
> think I'm going to go spend a bunch of money on
> some non-rally car stuff this afternoon to make me
> feel better. And we have a WRC party at my house
> tonight so that should be fun. Especially if
> Aaron McConnell makes it over like he is hoping
> to.

And then again, maybe it has something to do with you guys shat upon by the snow gods every frickin' weekend in the last month and a half? tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, just thought I would chime in at length since it sounds damn near exactly the way I feel on a daily basis. I kept telling myself, "Just get the Galant running and you can take a break." Now the Galant runs. Is it a rally car yet? Pretty much not at all, but my next goal is "Get it legal and take it to Ridgecrest for Rally School and some seat time." That's all I'm focusing on at this point. I'd suggest you concetrate on feeling better, chief, and then set your sights on just one aspect of the car which you can complete with extreme prejudice. You will feel better when you, well, feel better, but also when you accomplish that little piece of the bigger puzzle.

Besides, all this talk of how ideal the Xrattys are in rally, I want to see some in action! Saludos, amigos.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2007 02:45PM by DR1665.
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

January 26, 2007 03:17PM
Hey Grant, keep your head up!
I got into periods like this during my build... I think I went for 2 seperate 3 month periods without touching the thing. I had other reasons, like a new baby, a 2 - 3 year old daghter, sick relatives etc. But I got my enthusiasm back, and got it done. It was worth it! Right up until I wrecked it I was having a blast. Now it's almost ready to go again!

Stick with it, there's light at the end of the tunnel!

-Martin.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

January 26, 2007 04:25PM
I prescribe PBR therapy! I'm trying Perce Neige therapy next week, looking forward to the buckets of Bleu at the Chateau Logue...maybe then I'll get motivated. smiling smiley

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 26, 2007 04:30PM
Grant, I farm some things out right? Imagine how excited I am when the laser cut go inexplicitly fucks around for 6 months and I don't even know how its going cause my fab guy is the contact.
I'm depending on all this shit to pay the mortgage and feed 2 other people and man ift's more than depressing that I've spent crazy amounts of time helping Scott, Scott and Skye and their cars are so cl;ose to done it ain't funny cause man I want the stuff seen, cause ultimately I am supposed to sell shit to street guys since there's 10 million more of them.
Fuck.
But what the hell, seems everybody is getting married, buying houses, building garages or losing garages and having kids (Seattle Scott and his wife just had their first, Spokane Scott and his wife had 1 or 2, We've had one and BooBoo No.2 is coming in 2 1/2 months) or simply deciding to concentrate on school, and then to sell off stuff I sold at "good guy buddy deal prices" for less than what he paid and undercut my sales fuckin thanks a lot.
So what the hell.

And then I do this Volvo rod deal and the stuff flys out the door and I'm sold out just like that.

Obviously I've been putting to much effort into the wrong places.
Close to saying fuck it myself.

Get the fucking car done and maybe stop trying to do 150% of what you can do.

At least you get help.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

January 27, 2007 10:52AM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
... or simply deciding to
> concentrate on school, and then to sell off stuff
> I sold at "good guy buddy deal prices" for less
> than what he paid and undercut my sales fuckin
> thanks a lot.

But if I sell things for more than they cost new, who would buy them?
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

January 27, 2007 11:02AM
Hey Grant,

Hope things look better today. How did the party go?

Hey, it's winter, you guys are covered in deep snow, and with being sick, I'll bet you are just in a low spot. Keep at the car and at life in general. And if you don't complete the car, it's truly not the end. Yeah, I know easy to say, but this really is the voice of experience; imagine having your career evaporate in a merger 2 weeks before your 50th b-day! With some work, it got turned around greatly to the good. I bet you'll do the same.

To put the follwing JVLism in perspective:
"But what the hell, seems everybody is getting married, buying houses, building garages or losing garages and having kids (Seattle Scott and his wife just had their first, Spokane Scott and his wife had 1 or 2, We've had one and BooBoo No.2 is coming in 2 1/2 months) or simply deciding to concentrate on school, "
Damn, life just keeps hapening!

Best regards,
Mark B.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 27, 2007 05:34PM
Party was good. Except for my frequent trips to the bathroom. Thursday I was puky. Last night was worse. 5 rolls of TP later and I'm feeling much less apocolyptical today. That and I woke up to a phone call from Lauren in the Phillipines.

Really what got me though was looking at Skye's car. He was so stoked, but if you take that much time to do something you're going to give up. I think the fact I've driven before and have been codriving has helped to keep me moving forward despite all the shit. That's why I think building a mostly stock car or buying a built car is really the way to go. You have to get out there and enjoy this shit before you decide to go all out and go crazy with it.

Anyhow, I have to go pick up Mark from work before I go to work. Congrats on the new baby John. Now there will be two babies to be scared of me next time I'm out that way.

Grant Hughes
Skye
Skye Nott
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

January 31, 2007 02:21PM
Ooh my ears are burning...

So anyways yeah it's not like I've given up, it's just that rally isn't and has never been #1 priority in life, I wanted to travel around NZ so I did that, and then we wanted to move back to Vancouver so we've done that. It will get done when it's done, really just waiting on the rear beam now, I don't have to have the big brake kit right away, at least to get it driving. The rest of it is there except for a bit of fabrication left to do.

Plus the US rally scene is fucked anyway which doesn't help motivation. Now that I'm in Vancouver I need to first find a job and then find a garage and then who knows if I will even be able to import the damn XR. I guess Westwick is working with the govt to make it easier, I'd just have to get it logbooked in the USA before bringing it up. Well at least we have good events up here in BC.

Sure I started with stars in my eyes but I think we all know rally is a really fucking hard sport to get into and stay into - I'd love to be out driving but this is the only way I can do it, slow and kinda steady, it will happen.

Skye

www.rallyrace.net
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

February 01, 2007 09:30AM
Importing into Canada from the US won't be an issue, rally car or not unless it's on the list of cars that can't be imported because they don't meet some fawked up Canadian safety regulation. I doubt that as they are alreday here.

-Martin.
Skye
Skye Nott
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

February 01, 2007 03:51PM
Well I just went through importing my 1990 VW Corrado and it was a huge pain in the ass. The problem is the BC "out of province" inspection. But yeah any car over 15 years can theoretically be brought across.

Skye

www.rallyrace.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login