Posted by heymagic 
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

JVLs why is the sky blue thread
December 14, 2012 10:52AM
Why does the FIA still allow old construction for old cars? I don't know nor do I care, doesn't affect me.

Why does RA and CARS follow the newer FIA guidlines established in 2006 ? Only seems logical to me. It is a newer standard, cars certainly aren't getting any slower.

Is the X in the main hoop better than a variety of bars in the backstays? Maybe...not my call. It seems the main hoop X will greatly strengthen the hoop from side impact in the area the occupants torso resides. An X in the backstays doesn't afford that. An X in the backstays doesn't afford any real forward protection as JVL believes. The backstays hold up the main cage. Impact from the frontal area is gradually absorbed by various car parts and structure collapsing in the approx 10 feet ahead of the main hoop. If you hit hard enough in the front to collapse the backstays...well lets hope you don't.

Michael Parks died in 2005 in a side impact. I believe that was a defining moment in trying to find better ways to protect occupants in side impacts.

The 2002 standard does not require A pillar supports so irregardless of the X controversy makes it a flawed standard in my opinion.

If anyone wants to request the 'why' of a rule or decision feel free to ask the originator. Keep in mind it is their rule and they don't always have to provide an explanation that satisfies you.

Please do not jump into a thread about somebody elses construction woes and attempt to side track efforts to correct their situation....especially when you are not building, anticipating building or or otherwise affected by the rules.

Or in a nutshell...I neither know nor care why FIA may accept new construction of a lesser spec or RA, NRS or CARS require newer designs. I only have to see that the current rules are followed.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: JVLs why is the sky blue thread
December 14, 2012 11:49AM
poor Gene., I worry.
The question is why did some guy, a friend of yours and maybe that's why you're fighting looking at it clearly---- why did some guy say "Let's trust these certified engineers of todays decisions on THIS ONE execution of cage design---but not just pretened to ignore but outlaw these OTHER design which today's cerified engineers approved---and which we know for our own personal history have worked fine and are working fine.

Such a conclusion---causing so much sweat and tears---demands an explanation---which we know is never forthcoming...and it demands pointing out the illogic--even if it is covered up with harpumphing and redicule..

Same as the 265 n.a. F2 Kit car perfectly alright for first event for a nooob.
130 bhp car with a shitty ol turbo is forbidden.

It is illogical, indefensible, and costly to the poor saps who are faced with it.

Rules need coherence.

And you need lessons on compare and contrast,

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

December 14, 2012 12:12PM
actually based on the theory of short wavelength dispersion known as Rayleigh scattering, the sky should be violet.... madness!!!

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

December 14, 2012 12:52PM
But John,

Hurst is a friend of mine, same as I consider you. He and others picked the new standard and I can't see that causing any serious grief, especially 6 years after the fact. You need to pick better battles to waste all this ink on....

The rule is for the basic design using FIA requirements for our tubing. NRS is somewhat similar in most configurations. So you should have issue with both sets of regs. Go bitch at Anders for a while.
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

December 14, 2012 12:55PM
OBTW...answer your phone or I'll call immigration and ship you back to Belize or Panama. Important news on the horizon.
alkun
Albert Kun
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

December 14, 2012 02:59PM
Gene,

see if you have me sent to Belize.
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

December 14, 2012 04:31PM
John's greatest strength is that he is willing to ask why the sky is blue. His greatest weakness is that he can't always see when the answer would be useless.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
JohnLane
John Lane
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

December 19, 2012 12:02AM
Rallymech
John's greatest strength is that he is willing to ask why the sky is blue. His greatest weakness is that he can't always see when the answer would be useless.

Though he will go to the mat fighting for it....

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Infallible Moderator

December 19, 2012 01:01AM
No, his greatest strength is he's somehow not had aneurysm and bleed to death due to how riled he gets when someone disagrees, and how furiously he writes out his hatred spewed responses.

His greatest weakness is the complete inability to talk to people who understand that people have needs AND wants. And that THEY get to decide whats important to them... not him.

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 19, 2012 01:30AM
Dazed_Driver
No, his greatest strength is he's somehow not had aneurysm and bleed to death due to how riled he gets when someone disagrees, and how furiously he writes out his hatred spewed responses.

His greatest weakness is the complete inability to talk to people who understand that people have needs AND wants. And that THEY get to decide whats important to them... not him.

Hey asshole, you don't know how to behave or how to think, how could you possibly know what another humans plusss and minuses are. I don't get ANGRY when i write about what a loser mommy's boy you are.
That's not even logical Timmy. Why would i get angry that you're a clueless snot?
It's disgust and contempt which border on I dunno cold, but not anger. I've encountered hundreds of guys just like you, nothing special, why would that make somebody angry?
Your totally empty headed one line comments...not anger..puzzlement.
Your "thoughts", why would i be angry? They're just stupid.
Its like resignedly we look at them..Oh well more air from a immature wierdo is all most think--me too.

Well, OK your totally out of bounds comments about my children,, yes THAT --even though everybody knows you have never even been near them so you're just talking shit--still THAT pisses me off because its coming out of your mouth...and it is INTENDED to try to hurt me by slandering them..

Don't you ever mention my girls, or family in any way, do you understand Timmy?

Your "greatest weakness" is flat stupid, too... I know that people have needs and wants, but I also know when their wants are unrealistic and as we found dealing with you "Which hood scoop do I need, I can't decide between carbon fiber and aluminum" sometimes their wants are flat stupid and their commenst about wanting things working directly against their STATED GOALS.. When people don't see that their whim wants are in conflct with their stated overall goal, most MATURE people eventually thank me for giving them straight clear advice even it it annoyed them at the time.
Others, sociopaths and maldeveloped people, become annoying whiners instead of finishing their car ever..

I'll tell you what me best AND worst quality is, and its almost always this way:
An incredibly hard head...much too serious even after 30 years of swearing off seriousness...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Infallible Moderator

December 19, 2012 01:38AM
john vanlandingham

Well, OK your totally out of bounds comments about my children,, yes THAT --even though everybody knows you have never even been near them so you're just talking shit--still THAT pisses me off because its coming out of your mouth...and it is INTENDED to try to hurt me by slandering them..

Don't you ever mention my girls, or family in any way, do you understand Timmy?

oooooh. So You can talk about MY family, judging from the ONE time you've been at my house and seen ONE of them for about 10 minutes. But all the times I've been to yours and SEEN and BEEN AROUND your family, that means I've never been near them. For fucks sake you miserable pile of lies and slander, you've offered me dinner down there WITH YOUR FAMILY Right there at the table.

I think you need a memory check John. You know NOTHING about my family. I've at least seen and been around yours.

Also, your post is amusing proof. Thanks for that.

Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

December 19, 2012 08:50AM
drinking smiley

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Infallible Moderator

December 19, 2012 09:33AM
Gravity Fed
drinking smiley

iknorite?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 09:39AM by Dazed_Driver.
riverwestauto
jake henes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 jetta

February 25, 2013 07:49PM
you guys are nuts!
peace bro.smoking smiley
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

February 25, 2013 09:09PM
riverwestauto
you guys are nuts!
peace bro.smoking smiley

Got any supporting documentation???eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login