Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Ideas to keep my car from sucking up water?

Posted by shiza 
shiza
Dan Norkus
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

Ideas to keep my car from sucking up water?
December 16, 2012 04:25PM
A bunch of events I've been to have had either water crossings or large puddles on the stages. Right now I know my car would just suck up water like crazy and I would like some suggestions on what to do. Below is what it currently looks like.

Please Login or Register to post a reply
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

Re: Ideas to keep my car from sucking up water?
December 16, 2012 05:07PM
One thing I like about rally is the cross pollination. I came to rally from "jeeping", worked sweep at 100 Acre Woods '04 in a Rubicon with 1300 miles on the clock.

There's a lot you can do with that engine compartment, and keeping water out of that engine will be a worthy side benefit. First I would guess from drowning many jeeps, broncos, blazers and my rally car, that cars that don't run after the introduction of copious amounts of water, have wet electronics. quite often distributor/plugs/wires.

When you get the air filter WET, the engine stops. You water boarded the engine, it Won't breathe. I once thought I'd killed a $5000 motor by sucking water into it and bending/breaking everything. It flat wouldn't turn over. Pulled the soaked air filter and poof! Magic! all was well.

So back to the pic. That cold air intake is currently doing the exact opposite, its sucking in the hottest air it can find, right off that 450+ degree exhaust 8 inches to its right. For cone type filters to work, they need to be put in some enclosure. At very least, a baffle/heat shield to separate it from the engine. If you isolate it in the far corner, you can duct fresh, cold air to it and keep water out of it!
shiza
Dan Norkus
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

December 16, 2012 06:45PM
I think I'm just going to get a different intake tube that moves the filter closer to the fender then build a box to try block as much water as possible.
Pete
Pete Remner
Junior Moderator

December 16, 2012 07:07PM
Speaking as someone who ate three engines because of it... OIL YOUR AIR FILTER!

You get a cotton/oiled fitler wet, it is no longer an air filter. You let it get so dry that it looks white in spots, it is no longer an air filter.

I'm anal retentive now. I swap on a clean filter before every event, with a spare ready-to-go, and I swap between days on multiple day events. Nuking an engine because I was too lazy to clean and oil a filter or too cheap to buy a $12 recharge kit is stupid.

BTW - My air filter is above the engine, right behind the alternator, and once moving my IATs are never more than 5-10 degrees above ambient. When it's hot underhood, it's not because the air is hot, it's because the metal is radiating heat. The air in the engine bay is constantly being refreshed, so the engine isn't actually getting hot air. (I did put thermally reflective paint on my intake ducting and manifold, tho)

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 07:10PM by Pete.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

December 16, 2012 09:00PM
Dan, Mine is in that spot you are talking about, I have completely boxed it in, with a lid, and it draws through a hole in the side of the inner fender. I have full HDPE wheel house liners, so it stays pretty dry. At that Vancouver RX there were some very deep puddles, and the filter stayed pretty dry.

I did learn that the open sides of the skid plate allowed way too much debris onto the top of the skid plate, so I have built some side plates. I had a rock get behind the timing cover, knock the aux/dist drive shaft off 3 teeth, which melted down the turbo in 2 minutes.

I don't have a single pic of the engine bay, but here is the water...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 09:04PM by phlat65.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

December 16, 2012 11:21PM
Both my cars have the stock airbox (slightly modified) about where your stock one apparently was. The frame rail protects it from direct splashes, but even so the water would have to get really lucky to get into the filter, and there're drain holes in it to let any that does get in there drip right back out. The in-fender snorkus has been removed, but I cover that hole with a plate made from HPDE. That prevents water coming in from the side.

The distributor on the 16v car is way up high and away so I don't really worry about it much. On the 8v it's in front of the engine and I just check regularly to make sure its O-ring is in good shape, and on both of them I grease the plug connections and make sure the boots fit tightly.

I don't think I've ever had problems with water splashes other than my front shocks getting hydrolocked at Olympus back in 2008.

I think your plan to move the intake over to the fender area and make a box for it is a good one.

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 17, 2012 12:09AM
Pete
Speaking as someone who ate three engines because of it... OIL YOUR AIR FILTER!

You get a cotton/oiled fitler wet, it is no longer an air filter. You let it get so dry that it looks white in spots, it is no longer an air filter.

I'm anal retentive now. I swap on a clean filter before every event, with a spare ready-to-go, and I swap between days on multiple day events. Nuking an engine because I was too lazy to clean and oil a filter or too cheap to buy a $12 recharge kit is stupid.

BTW - My air filter is above the engine, right behind the alternator, and once moving my IATs are never more than 5-10 degrees above ambient. When it's hot underhood, it's not because the air is hot, it's because the metal is radiating heat. The air in the engine bay is constantly being refreshed, so the engine isn't actually getting hot air. (I did put thermally reflective paint on my intake ducting and manifold, tho)

K&N say oil it right in the instructions..
Oh yeah---who reads instructions..derp derp.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

December 17, 2012 08:45AM
I run a nylon sock over the K&N cone filter. With the engine running water will bead and run off the sock.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
shiza
Dan Norkus
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

December 17, 2012 11:30AM
Rallymech
I run a nylon sock over the K&N cone filter. With the engine running water will bead and run off the sock.

I was wondering about those. Thanks for the info. I think I'll build a box and get one of those.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

December 19, 2012 11:27AM
I just used a stock integra intake housing on my Civic. I need to plate off the bottom hole and make it in the side so it pulls air from behind the headlight.

Or you can go the awesome route and use a wal-mart trash can to box in your cone filter like I did at 100AW.
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

December 19, 2012 03:32PM
The trash can made me thing of this, I saw this a while ago when bored....Seems fun to make, might be a bit of work though.

Youtube Video

I'm always posting on Instagram...follow me! PeteNaz Instagram

My Build smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 03:33PM by PeteNaz.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Godlike Moderator

December 19, 2012 07:17PM
Wow, sweet mold making. I used a bowl I bought at World Market for 10 bucks for the round bits of my airbox. Eventually, I may make another, and I'll use the current one as a baseline for a mold so I can make it a 1 piece carbon affair, vs carbon and aluminum, with a two piece base. They both would have an access panel for installation and such.

That's the hard way of composites, but sweet video. Pre Preg, if you can find it, is super nice. As is vacuum bagging and autoclaves...

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
shiza
Dan Norkus
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

December 19, 2012 07:19PM
BillyElliot

Or you can go the awesome route and use a wal-mart trash can to box in your cone filter like I did at 100AW.

I want to see pictures of this!

I was just going to make something from aluminum and heat shield it somehow or maybe make it from some L brackets and plastic I have laying around. I'm sure someone has a better idea though. Anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 07:23PM by shiza.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

December 20, 2012 01:20AM
shiza
BillyElliot

I was just going to make something from aluminum and heat shield it somehow or maybe make it from some L brackets and plastic I have laying around. I'm sure someone has a better idea though. Anyone?

I'll have to ask my crew guy if he has a picture of it. I took it out once I put in the OEM integra airbox. But I still need to redo the hole on the bottom so it's coming out the side to pull clean air from behind the headlight.
shiza
Dan Norkus
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

December 20, 2012 06:10PM
BillyElliot
shiza
BillyElliot

I'll have to ask my crew guy if he has a picture of it. I took it out once I put in the OEM integra airbox. But I still need to redo the hole on the bottom so it's coming out the side to pull clean air from behind the headlight.

Gotcha. I got an elbow to just move my filter over the frame rail then I'm going to do a nylon pre filter and make a box for the filter to sit in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login