deaner
Dane Aura
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Re: JVAB's own 50mm Soooper Bitchin Suspenders
October 01, 2013 09:51PM
aj_johnson
Bills are taking longer than expected. Gone for 3 weeks, God forbid that the woman have actually opened a single envelope.

Governments shut down braaahhh. Its in the constitution that during a shutdown, bills and taxes don't have to be paid.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 01, 2013 11:10PM
aj_johnson
Bills are taking longer than expected. Gone for 3 weeks, God forbid that the woman have actually opened a single envelope.

I checked it today, its 40mm. weldy weldy tamale.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
alosix
Jason Powers
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

October 10, 2013 06:56PM
john vanlandingham
DaveK
john vanlandingham
Better order some..

How much for BMW fronts? When you needz $ by?

Everythings going up! and I needz to buy a couple of AKs, one in 7.62 and one in the little 5.45mm too. 1000 round cans of ammo don't come cheap. never needed a gun since I moved away from the South in '67 but YOU CAN'T TAKE CHANCES!!!!!!

How far would a built to your specs 74 get me to a set of 50s? smiling smiley...

This isn't floor mat anarchy
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 10, 2013 07:57PM
alosix
john vanlandingham
DaveK
john vanlandingham
Better order some..

How much for BMW fronts? When you needz $ by?

Everythings going up! and I needz to buy a couple of AKs, one in 7.62 and one in the little 5.45mm too. 1000 round cans of ammo don't come cheap. never needed a gun since I moved away from the South in '67 but YOU CAN'T TAKE CHANCES!!!!!!

How far would a built to your specs 74 get me to a set of 50s? smiling smiley...

Damn I dunno...
It all depends on how much crazy stuff you want.. It always all depends...

Example; Look at these Soooper Bitchin 50s for AJ in Oregon...

There are the steering arm things, material and CNC mill work, the weld ring on the strut body, water jet and CNC mill work, and those cars have miserable top mounts that are as cheesy as Xratty top mounts--only marginallky better the Golf, so he's getting those "606" versions of FordMotorsport's 909 spherical bearing top mounts..

Normally top mounts adds around $200 but thats for a simple deal made of one piece with a loyya material carved away, a bore and a circlip groove and 3 holes drilled and tapped... Those things are WAY more complicated (although a little less chips are made) with shapes and extenal threads, and part 2 has internal threads, milled notches and holes drilled..

And theres the bearing and stainless spacers inside the top mounts..
A lot of stuff and honestly I am at a loss really what to charge, but it IS a lot of extra stuff...and a lot of extra trips back and forth..and a lot of design time--at least 10-12 minutes thinking hard.

A normal Subie set up for standard top mounts should be in the region of 2450 to 2550 complete ready to bolt in.. Additional features would be additional.. like "Haulin' Colin B" just asked for soem spherical bearing REAR top mounts.. Extra... Must have work soooper bitchin cause he won Black River and it has to be that

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 08:09PM by john vanlandingham.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 11, 2013 01:11PM
How's dem new offset E36 top hats coming along? With a little bit of luck, I'm hoping to have a running BMW tomorrow.

Also wondering if there's any way to run 2.5" springs (that's what's on the 40s you've been selling, right?) on the 50mm shocks? Seems like there's room for them to fit, but the spring collars would need to be more like spring seats given the diameter differences.

Figured that'll probably end up buggering up the threaded portion of the housing over time, but when was the last time someone actually messed with the ride heights post initial setup?

Dave
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 11, 2013 04:40PM
DaveK
How's dem new offset E36 top hats coming along? With a little bit of luck, I'm hoping to have a running BMW tomorrow.

Also wondering if there's any way to run 2.5" springs (that's what's on the 40s you've been selling, right?) on the 50mm shocks? Seems like there's room for them to fit, but the spring collars would need to be more like spring seats given the diameter differences.

Figured that'll probably end up buggering up the threaded portion of the housing over time, but when was the last time someone actually messed with the ride heights post initial setup?

Dave

Dave been bustin ass to get AJs stuff shipped so haven't rung the Mill guy yet today to see if they're done. They ought to be ready, doing 3 sets...
Just got outta the hospital about 5 minutes ago after yet another round of being sliced open so I need a cup of tea and a ciggie in me before I call abd U have t have ready ther bolt circle which is down at Bobs shop where i make all the lathe stuff, but I MAY have the mount here,,, I will stumble downstairs and look..

Also I intend to call Bilstein this afternoon when I'm a little less delirious and check on when the next round of inserts is coming for second pair...
I still have to send you some springs, right?
I don't think its a smrat idea trying to use 2 1/2 but lemme look at that...You are thinking about wheel to spring clearance yes?

And I have to do you some bill cause I's kinda tapped out and need moar monies...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 11, 2013 05:02PM
john vanlandingham
Dave been bustin ass to get AJs stuff shipped so haven't rung the Mill guy yet today to see if they're done. They ought to be ready, doing 3 sets...
Just got outta the hospital about 5 minutes ago after yet another round of being sliced open so I need a cup of tea and a ciggie in me before I call abd U have t have ready ther bolt circle which is down at Bobs shop where i make all the lathe stuff, but I MAY have the mount here,,, I will stumble downstairs and look..

Haven't been in a big rush but realized I might have a car that could actually test out those 50s soon so figured I'd see how things were coming along.

Outta cell phone minutes till the 18th, stupid cable/internet/home phone bundle crashed earlier this month and had to use the cell for tech support and my wifes call-in meetings.

john vanlandingham
I don't think its a smrat idea trying to use 2 1/2 but lemme look at that...You are thinking about wheel to spring clearance yes?

Correct - would like the smaller springs for the extra room, and the fact that I've got a growing collection of 2.5" springs. No huge rush on the second set - figure we should test out the first set first and see how that jig worked out.

john vanlandingham
And I have to do you some bill cause I's kinda tapped out and need moar monies...

Shouldn't be a problem, gotta let us know what pricing on 50s is actually running since we were talking estimates before. We sent in deposits for 2 sets, so if the price didn't change we're about even but would now owe you a deposit on the next set. With the top hats about to come out we owe ya for those for sure.

Dave
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 11, 2013 08:42PM
DaveK
john vanlandingham

Haven't been in a big rush but realized I might have a car that could actually test out those 50s soon so figured I'd see how things were coming along.

Outta cell phone minutes till the 18th, stupid cable/internet/home phone bundle crashed earlier this month and had to use the cell for tech support and my wifes call-in meetings.

john vanlandingham

Correct - would like the smaller springs for the extra room, and the fact that I've got a growing collection of 2.5" springs. No huge rush on the second set - figure we should test out the first set first and see how that jig worked out.

john vanlandingham

Shouldn't be a problem, gotta let us know what pricing on 50s is actually running since we were talking estimates before. We sent in deposits for 2 sets, so if the price didn't change we're about even but would now owe you a deposit on the next set. With the top hats about to come out we owe ya for those for sure.

Dave

Ok will do head scratch when the head work better cause right now the drugs are strong and these bandages are soaked thru like drip drip drip...and I can't see straight
like uh duh.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

October 11, 2013 11:09PM
Package of super bitchen arrived. Installing Sunday before church... winking smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 12, 2013 12:56AM
aj_johnson
Package of super bitchen arrived. Installing Sunday before church... winking smiley

AJ get a 3/8-UNF tap and run it thru the holes in the weld on flange without fail. seems once the flange was welded on the thing had to have pulled or whatever by 1/000,000 th so chase the threads.
I would have except it was that or miss UPS and you wouldn't get them today. OK.
Keep me posted, I'll be here dragging bloody bandages around and on drugs be I can maybe still talk. I won't remember anything but hey plausible deniability is great.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

October 14, 2013 09:24PM
John, top of the ear has too much meat outside the mounting hole. Nothing the grinder couldn't fix, but its about 5/16'ths too much. shouldn't be an issue on the rears. New top mounts are way eaiser, about 10 min with the die grinder and they fit right in.
MattZig
Matthew Breden
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru Impreza TRX

October 16, 2013 11:11AM
What grease are you using when assembling these?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 16, 2013 01:57PM
aj_johnson
John, top of the ear has too much meat outside the mounting hole. Nothing the grinder couldn't fix, but its about 5/16'ths too much. shouldn't be an issue on the rears. New top mounts are way eaiser, about 10 min with the die grinder and they fit right in.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% since all I had was struts and no knuckles to check interference.

Let's see piccies of the "606" copies of Ford 909 Top mounts in the Audi.

Hey! should be some inserts arriving shortly here. so i'll get the rears along..we still hafta figure out a cheaper version of rear top mount.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 16, 2013 02:05PM
MattZig

Greasy grease. I use some green grease. I had some reddish stuff.

I got your email...been recovering here after more carving and blood and splattering and of course me overdoing things first day out of hospital...

As for the noise when jacking up the car, well coilovers make noise.. OEM struts they usually have some sort of rubber somewhere to keep the springs quiet... As for firmness, well they're firm...they're for bashing into bumps at a speed range of say 45 to 170 km/hr..

Have you set the car's height for gravel (a bit higher) or road (lower---which means less pre-load.)

The set up is essentially the same as dozens of others, nothing unique, and so far nobody has said anything about the stuff being too stiff..

OH, another thing is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THOSE BIG BOLTS TIGHT on the knuckle end.
And I mean crank 'em down with a breaker bar. The threads are like M14 fine so god knows what the torque is but its a lot.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
MattZig
Matthew Breden
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru Impreza TRX

October 16, 2013 03:58PM
I'm not talking about the springs or insides being too stiff. You completley missed the point. What's happening is the shock bodies are literally sticking. You can see this when you press down on the bumper hard, it'll load up and then jolt. They don't slide freely - they're sticking. Every one is doing this, and they didn't do it to begin with. Only after driving about 200 miles. Now every corner is sticking like crazy and not sliding free. Did I use too much grease? Wrong grease? What's your method of greasing them?

john vanlandingham
MattZig

Greasy grease. I use some green grease. I had some reddish stuff.

I got your email...been recovering here after more carving and blood and splattering and of course me overdoing things first day out of hospital...

As for the noise when jacking up the car, well coilovers make noise.. OEM struts they usually have some sort of rubber somewhere to keep the springs quiet... As for firmness, well they're firm...they're for bashing into bumps at a speed range of say 45 to 170 km/hr..

Have you set the car's height for gravel (a bit higher) or road (lower---which means less pre-load.)

The set up is essentially the same as dozens of others, nothing unique, and so far nobody has said anything about the stuff being too stiff..

OH, another thing is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THOSE BIG BOLTS TIGHT on the knuckle end.
And I mean crank 'em down with a breaker bar. The threads are like M14 fine so god knows what the torque is but its a lot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login