Posted by fiasco 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Subaru oil puking, JDM swap, yo?
January 16, 2013 01:40PM
I had a buddy with a DOHC 2.5 blow head gaskets. He then proceeded to drive the fawking thing around in the mountains and back to Denver with the temp gauge pegged.
Anyhow, he is a starving artist type and an old friend so I offered some assistance. Long story short, we ended up swapping in a 2.2 engine that I picked up used for $200 and got his back on the road for $7-800 after timing belt, w/p, etc.
The car is a dog with the 2.5. The 2.2 only made it worse. I cringe to think of trying to haul all of that car around with a 2.0L.
I say clean it up and sell it and buy a minivan already.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

January 16, 2013 05:37PM
I did a jdm swap on a legacy turbo. Shortly after install it started leaking at the oil pump seal. I did a whole timing belt job on it and now its back to leaking a little bit out the valve covers. Still doesn't run quite right with random misfires. I'm using the US spec ECU.

Dave
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

January 16, 2013 07:06PM
NoCoast
I had a buddy with a DOHC 2.5 blow head gaskets. He then proceeded to drive the fawking thing around in the mountains and back to Denver with the temp gauge pegged.
Anyhow, he is a starving artist type and an old friend so I offered some assistance. Long story short, we ended up swapping in a 2.2 engine that I picked up used for $200 and got his back on the road for $7-800 after timing belt, w/p, etc.
The car is a dog with the 2.5. The 2.2 only made it worse. I cringe to think of trying to haul all of that car around with a 2.0L.
I say clean it up and sell it and buy a minivan already.

There isn't any cleaning up this car. It has 171k on it, has been used as a kid hauler, firewood hauler, dog hauler, tool hauler, snowmobile hauler, lumber hauler, compost hauler, ski hauler, and illegal recce car, often at the same time (and a lot of that towing Randy Zimmer style smiling smiley ). The custom rust is creeping in, but I try to keep it minimized with grinding, welding, bondo, and spray bombs. All the stock underbody protection has been replaced with Primitive skid plates, and it's jacked up on King springs so it has enough clearance to survive mud season around here.

I really can't complain about the car, bought it brand new and it's been run hard.

The other car IS a minivan, a 2011 AWD Sienna that I still have about 30 more easy monthly payments on, so until that's paid for, no new ride for me. Don't know what I'd replace it with, anyway. AWD YB-powered Scorpio? grinning smiley

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login