Posted by Neronymous 
Neronymous
Jesse Avellino
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Ford Ranger

Ford Ranger cage questions
January 18, 2013 11:56AM
This is my first post, so apologies up front for any redundant questions.

I have been racing NER rallycross for about a year now, and finally have a truck that I'd like to build into a stage rally car. The biggest hurdle is the cage. I saw that a gentleman has a 1990 Ranger(Angry Iron), and a fantastic guide as to how he built it, but fabricating on that scale is sadly beyond my means and work space.

I realize there are different standards for different organizations, so I'm thinking of focusing on Rally America rules since they seem comprehensive.

Are there any cage installers in the Northeast US that you would recommend who don't want 5K+? I'm Massachusetts based, if that helps.

Thanks, guys, and I look forward to your advice.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Re: Ford Ranger cage questions
January 18, 2013 12:57PM
Cage This is the short answer to your question. They're the only place I can think of in MA that will get you a cage that'll take a logbook without a lot of handholding.

The long answer is use the Ranger as a service vehicle and get this:

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?7,73443,73443#msg-73443

Or if you want to build, get this:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3512156640.html

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 18, 2013 01:26PM
Hey Jesse,

Bill at cagethis is definitely your man. He's done some non-cage work for me, I've seen his cages, and I've seen a rally pickup he's done. Great to deal with and reasonably priced.

Tim.
Neronymous
Jesse Avellino
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Ford Ranger

January 18, 2013 02:03PM
Thanks for the replys.

That Merkur is gorgeous, and seems to be a great car for the money. I'm not beholden to the Ranger, but think I'd have to remove the turbo in the Merkur to get going in RA. Definitely a nice option to consider.

Cagethis is what I've been thinking, so it looks like I'll have to give them a shout to see how affordable it is. If it's cheaper to go the route of buying a made car (i.e. Merkur), then that's what I'll have to do, but it's tough turning my back on the Ranger since it is such a nice running truck, and I know how cheap and abundant parts are. Plus, if I want to, I can fit some small truck tires. Cheap and tough!
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 18, 2013 02:24PM
The cage is just the tip of the iceburg as far as build costs can go. Don't campare a built, logbooked, race ready car to one that runs nice and has a cage.

Tim's Merkur is a very nice car if you do think of going that route. NASA picked up the New York events so there a several events near by to run a turbo car. You'd miss out on RA's NEFR and STPR for a little while.

Tim.
Neronymous
Jesse Avellino
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Ford Ranger

January 18, 2013 02:27PM
Tim, you make a really good point. Suspension, wiring, seats, lord-knows-what-else... it's a long road to turn a car/truck into a rally car/truck.
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 18, 2013 02:40PM
I was trying to decide if I should build a diesel VW (a car I know) or just buy and fly. Adding it up, I could probably have built something for what I paid for the ready to go car, but with a LOT of time and effort invested in addition to the money. I didn't want to think about jamming it into a tree after all of that.

Search around for what seats, harnesses, all the rally equipent are going to cost and add it up. Do a real comparison. And don't let yourself get caught up in things you *think* you need to have.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/ is nearby with all the safety gear if you want to go touch things. Check the list of sponsor forums on SpecialStage and price out gear from them. Rallylights, Safedrives, etc. It'll give you an idea of what you'll need to spend.

Tim.
Neronymous
Jesse Avellino
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Ford Ranger

January 18, 2013 02:50PM
Tim, we PM'ed before on the NER site. Keeping the same name on different websites makes it easier to know how I'm talking to!

I'll look into hms. Build time and space is minimal, so the done-car route keeps coming up as the way to go. The idea of building as time/money/resources allow on a car I've picked out is appealing, but buying pre-made looks more and more realistic.

How is the Subaru you got from Dan? Doing any NER events?
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 18, 2013 03:11PM
I recognized you. smiling smiley

My other thought was to buy now, learn to drive, learn what about the car works, and what doesn't, then if I want to build, I can build on the side, the way I want it. And drive at the same time. I lack the space for that in practice, however...

The Subaru is mostly sitting. I herniated a disc in my neck at the end of November. I had to bail midday from Wolf Chase because it was too painful. Have had to miss out since. It's just starting to get better so I really want to make it to TON, or at least NER since that one is so close to me. I'm waiting for Empire State Rally in April for my first stage rally in it. Tarmac, but it's racing.

Tim.
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

January 18, 2013 03:24PM
Putting a cage into a standard cab mini truck with a frame sucks.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 18, 2013 03:27PM
TronDD
I recognized you. smiling smiley

My other thought was to buy now, learn to drive, learn what about the car works, and what doesn't, then if I want to build, I can build on the side, the way I want it. And drive at the same time. I lack the space for that in practice, however...

The Subaru is mostly sitting. I herniated a disc in my neck at the end of November. I had to bail midday from Wolf Chase because it was too painful. Have had to miss out since.

Tim.

Yikes. Did they say what caused it? I know pretty well what that's like from the two crushed discs I had---one cervical or at the top and one at the lumbar, and it was seriously bad....really was end of driving rally and then even wrenching---then walking....If you see Andrew Steere or Mike White up i Maine, give them both big wet kisses for me in thanks for the help they gave me in that first phase when I was getting no answers and no nothing and was stumbling around the shop trying to get back here and absolutely delirious most of the time....
Pretty clear what caused it for me, (something involving flying things in the air and hard landings 20 hours a week for years....) but doesn't matter once you're in the middle of it...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 18, 2013 03:35PM
Yanking very hard on 20 very stubborn lug nuts followed by a day of rallyx, then a night of curling. I suppose it may "just" be a torn muscle along the spine, they don't bother narrowing it down as the treatment is the same. Once it flared up, I was pretty much stuck on the couch for 3 weeks. Couldn't stand, couldn't sit, couldn't sleep. Good times.

I was able to sleep again two weeks ago, and this week I can walk around and do light activities for maybe an hour. Although I did throw out my back in the process... Damn, I swear I'm not this old.

I'm sure it's nothing compared to your laundry list of war wounds. smiling smiley

Tim.
Neronymous
Jesse Avellino
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Ford Ranger

January 18, 2013 03:38PM
Man, Tim. I know neck injuries can take a massive toll on you. Hope you are healed up enough to pound the hell out of the Subie in NY.

Robert, I know the packaging is really tight. I was trying to offset the truck's weight penalty as much as possible with the small cab. I'm sure my legs will end up a bit cramped if that's the way I end up going.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 18, 2013 03:43PM
Rallymech
Putting a cage into a standard cab mini truck with a frame sucks.

And once done with that suckage, there's the fact that H frames are flexier than shit, the vital weight distribution will forever be fuxxored-er than fuxxored and thus the thing will be just a thing to play at rally..

Jesse,

In Grass-o-cross it's not important, nothing but throttle disciple is really...
Doesn't matter gear ratios, or final drive or suspension, just disciple cause everybody tries way too hard at the slow speeds..
Real rally on real roads then basic fundamental design of car instantly becomes a first consideration but the most important these days with the high costs of a weld in cage is "Living with it as you get yer feet wet, and then, presumably, begin to learn"

Cause unless your a Harvard Square trust-a-farian and can just cast aside your car you just poured thousands into without any thought,
for most of us you get a car, and you're married to it for a LOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOONG time.

If you're a rAnger (the approved pronunciation is rrrrrAnger---all truck names have to be macho and aggressive like RAMPAGE!! and BRONCO!! BLAZER!, so ANGER!! with a rrr in front is suffcientyly aggressive, but you have to say it loud and thru gritted teeth, OK? ) guy then you're familiar with Frod Lima and ought to be able to swap a head---if you really had to for some stupid reason---in and hour and a half.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always ask folks what they've done before (like circle track or grass-o-cross- or moto-cross or enduro or mountain bikes) and if they have any competitive blood in their veins .....
so do ya?

What do you want to do?
Why rANGER??

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 18, 2013 03:52PM
TronDD
Yanking very hard on 20 very stubborn lug nuts followed by a day of rallyx, then a night of curling. I suppose it may "just" be a torn muscle along the spine, they don't bother narrowing it down as the treatment is the same. Once it flared up, I was pretty much stuck on the couch for 3 weeks. Couldn't stand, couldn't sit, couldn't sleep. Good times.

I was able to sleep again two weeks ago, and this week I can walk around and do light activities for maybe an hour. Although I did throw out my back in the process... Damn, I swear I'm not this old.

I'm sure it's nothing compared to your laundry list of war wounds. smiling smiley

Tim.

Yeah but I'm used to it since 17, or 10 the first month long sign-the-papers-for-amputaion episode--the second was at 15-16..By 30 I'd spent 3 full years in wheelchairs and crutches and that was half what the doctors said!!!

Just got in minutes ago from Nuke-yu=loor bone scan to see if there's a hairline fracture just below the new metal knee...
You done that ? You eat old nuke-yu-loor waste and they look where all the isotopes are glowing?
"Sure is hot" in a clear line right at the end of the bone where the metal starts...

Gotta go and finish the other 4 wheels for Robert, if he ever listened to his phone messages he could have had the wheels last night...super hot job..

Maybe I should put a notice on Facebook..

I know, I'll tweet it.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login