Posted by Ckgtimk2 
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

Re: Reinforcing VW control arms/subframe
January 21, 2013 09:26PM
Oh, and I don't have a rack-boot solution for what you're asking. I just use the boots from the power rack. Generally I find the most hassle is getting the teeny cross-rack breather tube lined up with the little holes in the boots. Also, generally if I've done something severe enough to bend the tie rod, I've got other problems and changing the tie rod is only a small part of the necessary repairs. :/

Self-righteous douche canoe
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Ckgtimk2
Corey Kline
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Used and abused Mk2 GTI

January 21, 2013 09:31PM
hoche

From what you're describing - ABA with frame-rail mounts etc...do you have Duplessis's old car?

No but it is an old team oneil car. I think I saw CD's name in the log book though, along with 2 dozen other people... It was def the village whore. It's been called wrinkle top, or wrinkle tits or something...

Less talk. More rally.
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

January 22, 2013 08:21AM
hoche
The whole idea of a bolt-on rear stub axle for a Mk2 that's both beefier and separates the rotor from the bearing races makes me all warm and tingly inside.

Wonder if we can arrange a bulk order from someone abroad who can get them.

*stares at Danny*

This idea...it seems like a good one.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

January 22, 2013 08:50AM
fliz
hoche
The whole idea of a bolt-on rear stub axle for a Mk2 that's both beefier and separates the rotor from the bearing races makes me all warm and tingly inside.

*stares at Danny*

I'll be happy to help out if I can. thumbs up
If anyone has experience with or connections to a shipping agent / courier, or someone travels across the pond occasionally feel free to pitch in.
I once shipped an engine and other parts in a large consignment to Iceland and the purchaser arrange it all from his end.

There may be other things to consider as options if there is a bit of interest. The mk4 stuff you do get over there may be viable to modify if there are more people interested. Just thinking ahead to the cost and future spares availability.
Could the mk4 stubs be accurately ground down to accept the smaller hub bearing ID?
A plate could be made to convert the stub to axle bolt mounting patterns and could also have the caliper lugs incorporated in it. Mk4 rear carriers have a different offset to mk2 and 3 carriers because the lugs are on the stub of the latter, but on the axle of the mk4. A conversion plate would also "wide track" the rear to an extent.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

January 22, 2013 09:07AM
I believe Wimpey's were working on adapting a MK4 stub, not sure I ever saw a finished product on it.

I think they actually cut off the end plates from a mk4 axle, ground them down, and drilled holes to bolt them up to the MK2/3 rear beam.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/ has some pics of the plates.
Mr. K
Chris Krepski
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 VW Golf, 8V of fury!

January 22, 2013 10:04AM
I've had my eyes on the VW Polo rear stub axle setup for awhile. If anyone arranges a group buy, I'd be interested. I can think of a few others here in Canadia who might be interested in it too.

Cheers,
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 10:05AM by Mr. K.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2013 10:05AM
danster
fliz
hoche

*stares at Danny*

I'll be happy to help out if I can. thumbs up
If anyone has experience with or connections to a shipping agent / courier, or someone travels across the pond occasionally feel free to pitch in.
I once shipped an engine and other parts in a large consignment to Iceland and the purchaser arrange it all from his end.

There may be other things to consider as options if there is a bit of interest. The mk4 stuff you do get over there may be viable to modify if there are more people interested. Just thinking ahead to the cost and future spares availability.
Could the mk4 stubs be accurately ground down to accept the smaller hub bearing ID?
A plate could be made to convert the stub to axle bolt mounting patterns and could also have the caliper lugs incorporated in it. Mk4 rear carriers have a different offset to mk2 and 3 carriers because the lugs are on the stub of the latter, but on the axle of the mk4. A conversion plate would also "wide track" the rear to an extent.

Er er er UHm .
Uhm.!

EEER! EEER! UM!!!!!

If I could make a gentle suggestion before all the boys here cream in the jeans too much...
Could you be kind enough to throw your hyper accurate Very-near calipers on the stubbie thang and tell us what od the stub is?

And, for a wear item: is the bearing a "cassette" bearing of permanently in the hub?

Boys are acting awfully eager like this is big discovery and I say it has to be crazy to have to go all the way across the seas to get wear items... Hell I can get things in their new country of origin---where VW makes more cars than any other, but first lets examine sizes, details before thinking about shipping--which is always a bitch.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 10:10AM by john vanlandingham.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2013 10:15AM
Mr. K
I've had my eyes on the VW Polo rear stub axle setup for awhile. If anyone arranges a group buy, I'd be interested. I can think of a few others here in Canadia who might be interested in it too.

Cheers,
Chris

Mon-sewer Krepski, it MIGHT be smarter to get readily available in North Amerique MK IV stubs---and if we can't adapt the 5 bolt into 4---and I know we can, then I bet it would be cheaper IN THE LONG RUN to make a hub here with replaceable bearings....and use existing rear calipers and adapt some nicer disc.
c'est que tu ponce manure?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Mr. K
Chris Krepski
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 VW Golf, 8V of fury!

January 22, 2013 10:40AM
Je suis d'accord mon cher John. The Polo stuff is atttractive since it's bolt-on. But if we can make the Mk4 stuff fit easily, I'm all for it too.

I'm also curious if the Mk4 hub/bearing carrier will fit the Polo stub. At least that part would be taken care of.

The Polo is sold in Mexico and countries to the south. I believe they were made in Brazil for those markets. Question is whether they had rear discs there?
DexterVW
David Baker
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

January 22, 2013 10:54AM
hoche
Ckgtimk2
I've got the early style rubber mount. Round upright, not the hydro mount style. Someone filled it with urethane. The car has a "works" style mount on the block on the pass side, and also has the factory rear engine mount, again early style upright, filled w urethane. Fyi car has an ABA swap. The mounts seem pretty solid, I just figured I'd throw the factory trans mount in there for a little extra support on the tranny end since the top of the 5th gear housing doesn't seem to beefy. Has anyone come up with a way to reinforce the housing there? Or am I the only one breaking those bc I'm a noob who lifts just before launching off jumps??

I have never broken the top of the transmission the way you're describing, but I use the standard 3-pt Golf mounts, not frame-rail mounts. The front-style mount you're describing is the one I was going to recommend, right down to the filling-it-with-eurethane part.

From what you're describing - ABA with frame-rail mounts etc...do you have Duplessis's old car?

Why fill with urethane? Drill some 1" holes in hockey pucks (I can't remember if you need three or four) and Bam! Stiff, cheap, clean engine mount!!
Ckgtimk2
Corey Kline
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Used and abused Mk2 GTI

January 22, 2013 10:59AM
Bc someone already filled them haha cheaper and easier!

Less talk. More rally.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

January 22, 2013 11:03AM
fliz
I believe Wimpey's were working on adapting a MK4 stub, not sure I ever saw a finished product on it.

I think they actually cut off the end plates from a mk4 axle, ground them down, and drilled holes to bolt them up to the MK2/3 rear beam.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/ has some pics of the plates.

Worked on it but it requires a lot of work to do...

--Donor mk4 rear beam(s)
--Adapter for the plates or weld them on without warping somehow
---Adapter for carrier to fit the increased offset
---5-lug nonsense

A lot of work to modify a throw-away rear beam (and at least one spare). Would much rather have a bolt on option even at 2-3x the price.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2013 11:03AM
DexterVW

Why fill with urethane? Drill some 1" holes in hockey pucks (I can't remember if you need three or four) and Bam! Stiff, cheap, clean engine mount!!

Because in cars made out of twice folded over paper thin steel, it is nice to not shake the shell apart and rip the mounts out of the sheetmetal.

Didya notice that real rally cars retain some rubber?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2013 11:10AM
Josh Wimpey
fliz

Worked on it but it requires a lot of work to do...

--Donor mk4 rear beam(s)???
--Adapter for the plates or weld them on without warping somehow
---Adapter for carrier to fit the increased offset
---5-lug nonsense

A lot of work to modify a throw-away rear beam (and at least one spare). Would much rather have a bolt on option even at 2-3x the price.

Terminology clarification request.
Why donor beam? The stubbie thangs (technical term) are removable.

Is the stubbie thang bolt pattern at least a bolt diameter bigger in all directions?

With a nice flat drilling jig you could drill 4 hole nice and square real easy on existing beams..

What are the other things?

Re offset, thought excercise time.... IF the stubbie thang and hub were attached directly to the MkII beam---would the wheel postion change? by how much?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DexterVW
David Baker
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

January 22, 2013 11:11AM
John, totally... and the hockey pucks seem to fall in that perfect range from the little experimentation I have played with... not as hard as the poly mounts (or random white plastic my car came with) and easier than the urethaned stockers... but like anything 100 ways to skin this cat :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login