Blake Lind
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
orange AE86

Re: Intake Manifolds
January 31, 2013 12:17AM
NoCoast
sidewaez
Those simulations are cool and all but like flowbench results they don't seem to simulate what is actually going on when the engine is running and in Davids case how boost will effect it..

Exactly...
But he should probably build something from scratch using some general theories that are oversimplified for the problem at hand?

I think it depends on what the other options are.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mke723
Mike Lindenfelser
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Impreza L

January 31, 2013 10:23PM
the first video was interesting, but im confused as to why he selected normal atmospheric pressure for the 4 runners that feed the pistons, and set pressure in on the velocity stack, unless this is for turbo, the inlet should be normal atmospheric pressure (1 bar/ 14.7 psi) and each runner should be creating a vacuum, as the valves open and the piston strokes down...so all 4 would not at draw at the same time.

also, i would have to think having crank/ valve cover breather tubes feeding in at different places would change the flow inside the intake as it would draw air from those openings causing turbulence inside the plenum..

and dont be silly john.. better air flow wont add horsey power.. only over sized wings, fake chrome, and vinyl stickers do that... just look at that fiesta kenny from the block runs..

I be sorry as a muthafucka I did, still sorry I did n' hustled ta peep what tha fuck I holla'd a lil' bit better, or at least try to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 09:17AM by mke723.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 31, 2013 10:43PM
mke723
and each runner should be creating a vacuum, as the valves open and the piston strokes down...so all 4 would not at draw at the same time.

and dont be silly john.. better air flow wont add horsey power.. only over sized wings, fake chrome, and vinyl stickers do that... just look at that fiesta kenny from the block runs..

Some might suggest that runners don't creat vacuum, and neither does the piston stroking dowm. Some might suggest that the last charge---the one that just moved the vehicle forward---the one which still had a good deal of pressure as the piston approached BDC----that when the exhaust valve opened BBDC, that charge wanted to equliase pressure and zoomed out the cylinder and out the exhaust system at somewhere around 1725 ft/s or approx 1176 mph, and some might suggest that if we remember the inverse relationship between speeed and pressure, some might suggest that it is the low pressure behind that last charge that is where cylinder---and often part of the exhaust--filling is generated...
Low pressure in the cylinder--and exhaust system, intake opens, atmospher's weight--1kg/cm2---14.7psi for some---pushes the air in..
Pressure always wants to equalise...
But hey just suggesting...
I don't get paid enough to not be silly...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mke723
Mike Lindenfelser
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Impreza L

February 01, 2013 09:47AM
"some might suggest that it is the low pressure behind that last charge that is where cylinder---and often part of the exhaust--filling is generated...Low pressure in the cylinder" JVL

New Oxford American Dictionary:
vacuum
noun
1 a space entirely devoid of matter.
• a space or container from which the air has been completely or partly removed.

wikipedia:
A Vacuum is space that is empty of matter. The word stems from the Latin adjective vacuus for "empty" or "void". An approximation to such vacuum is a region with a gaseous pressure much less than atmospheric pressure.

so.. the lack of (aka negative) pressure creates a vaccum suction acording to my dictionary..

I be sorry as a muthafucka I did, still sorry I did n' hustled ta peep what tha fuck I holla'd a lil' bit better, or at least try to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 10:25AM by mke723.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

February 01, 2013 10:03AM
Kinda makes you wonder why so much time was spent tuning the exhaust on old race cars, with equal lengths and circular pulse patterns at the junction, and then they just slap carbs on the other end to mix the power batter.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 01, 2013 10:37AM
mke723
"some might suggest that it is the low pressure behind that last charge that is where cylinder---and often part of the exhaust--filling is generated...Low pressure in the cylinder" JVL

New Oxford American Dictionary:
vacuum
noun
1 a space entirely devoid of matter.
• a space or container from which the air has been completely or partly removed.

wikipedia:
A Vacuum is space that is empty of matter. The word stems from the Latin adjective vacuus for "empty" or "void". An approximation to such vacuum is a region with a gaseous pressure much less than atmospheric pressure.

so.. the lack of pressure creates a vaccum acording to my dictionary..

Who the fuck started talking about vacuum?

don't nit pick shit about language.

The interpertation is wrong.

Let me point out the exact word that makes the statement flat screwy:
"creates"...

And confusing this is the word 'lack' or the phrase 'lack of pressure'
"Lack of " connotes a deficiency or a fault...

In engines we don't speak of vacuum except in chatty conversational style with guys just shooting the shit.. We speak of "Absolute Pressure" which can be positive----or negative....High or low...

I really don't know---lack of tone, lack of smiley things, lack of gross absurdist humor---if you are being serious..

"lack" of pressure is the definition of 'vacuum', not what created it.

That would be kinda like saying "12 inches created a foot ......."

The point is---if anybody is really actually trying to understand cylinder filling---and why obsessing about some fawking turbo diesel is beyond absurd when the air WILL get pumped in,
dissimilar pressures will always want to equalize.
Here in the world we have as a baseline one "BAR" aka 1kg/cm2 and comapred to "less than 1 bar" aka LOW pressure, the air will in.

But that isn't how the LOW/minus/ "vacuuuuuum" was created.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

February 01, 2013 11:32AM
Pretty rad stuff. Doesn't seem that hard really to make your own dual manifold like that? But the simplicity of the setup looks like there's not much to designing it really. I'm sure there's a million CFD calculations you can do, but if it's like Grant's one design shown where everything is on the same plane and you just have the taper done right, 110% throttle body gap between the two.

I did some fishing and there were companies that had a DIY kit for them as well. But if the second chamber is supposed to be equal to the total engine displacement, what happens if you size it up a hair above it? Like say I have my 1.6L motor, but build a manifold to anticipate for a 1.8L or 2.0L motor?

There was also the Miata-busa that Coleman is building and how the Suzuki airbox has no two walls that are parallel with each other. Not sure if that's some resonance design because of the ITB as these intakes are more to deal with a single throttle body.

I really feel I could get a nice little power boost from my motor with a good intake/header design alone as the stock intake manifold and off-the-shelf aftermarket header are both limitations. Just going to an extrude honed stock manifold gets you just shy of a 10hp increase but not much of a change in the top end.
acrane
adam crane
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
corolla GT-yes

February 02, 2013 01:55PM
love the shiny racecar pictures. sometimes there's a limit to dim grungy projects (which reminds me of my projects).

"I put the hurt on dirt" - adam crane
http://CraneRallyCrew.com
corolla gt-s "Patches"
Op: S.S.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login