Posted by bttmotorsport 
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

Re: e36 from "P" to "O2H"
February 10, 2013 10:04PM
Not for me, but for Jari's car. I do have access to most of that info, and would help out if needed. Is this something we can do for Jari as a group? Then I am on board.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 11, 2013 12:09AM
phlat65
Not for me, but for Jari's car. I do have access to most of that info, and would help out if needed. Is this something we can do for Jari as a group? Then I am on board.

I'd be on board, though my skill set with trannies usually has more to do with back alleys than electronic controls.

Grant Hughes
AaronJMcConnell
AaronJMcConnell
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru Impreza

February 12, 2013 05:54AM
She-male enima=tranny flush
bttmotorsport
Jari Hamalainen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Opel Monza, Chevy Monza to be finished 2012, BMW 318 iS

February 12, 2013 08:08AM
Thanks guys for taking your time to plan soultions for us.. Please keep in mind though that my finances aren´t that great, so don´t use too much of your time and efforts for the project... thumbs up
Let´s hope that the revised ZF would hold up at least 3 events thats planned for this spring...
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

February 12, 2013 04:04PM
No monies due to me if i help.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

February 12, 2013 04:41PM
I'm willing to invest a small amount in needed electronics, solenoid, etc.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
DrivingImpaired
Kyle Benedict
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
e36 328is

April 16, 2014 08:39AM
Hey guys, I know this thread is about a year old but I am wondering if anything came about from it...

My name is Kyle Benedict and I am just getting into rally myself. I am also a paraplegic using hand controls AND have an e36 (328is) as my rally car.

I don't even have the hand controls in her yet but I've been doing all sorts of research on people in chairs who rally, e36's, etc. Specialstage forums sent me here and of course pointed me to Jari. I've also been in contact with Chris Hrabek (a quadriplegic rallyist!) who, in addition to referencing Jari, got me in contact with Matt Brandenburg of Brakim Motorsports who isn't disabled but is running an e36.

It's been quite a whirlwind of research and contact making so here I am... hoping to learn as much as possible.

Jari, and anyone else with insight into rallying e36's (especially auto trans), please tell me everything I need to know or point me where to find it- I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Kyle
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 16, 2014 11:02AM
Kyle,

Welcome!

I bought Jari's BMW and while I've converted it back to a manual gearbox and have returned the hand controls, I do still have a bunch of of the automatic transmission parts. They were from an E30, as there were less 'nanny electronics' in those older parts than in the E36 bits. I believe the gearbox has all the bells and whistles that you can throw at it, but the torque converter needs refreshed/replaced. Two of the three bolts that hold it to the flywheel loosened up and knackered up the threads on the TC. The parts are now in Denver, CO.

I did get to drive the car on gravel with the setup, and it was pretty snappy. Only complaint is that sometimes when you wanted a downshift you wouldn't get it. The trick was to stab the brakes real quick to induce rear lockup so the speed sensor thought it was slow enough to shift. Easy'ish workaround, but I think there's room for improvement in that area.

Dave
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 16, 2014 11:50AM
DrivingImpaired
Matt Brandenburg of Brakim Motorsports who isn't disabled but is running an e36.

Anyone else with insight into rallying e36's (especially auto trans), please tell me everything I need to know or point me where to find it- I'm all ears!

Some might claim rallying an E36 is a evidence of a disability, at the very least a mental handicap. smiling smiley

They are cool cars for rallying.
John (JVAcool smiley is making a nice 50mm strut with offset top mounts for the front of the car. He also did some 50mm stuff for the rear in Dave's Compact. We have a customer Compact that we are building rear turrets to use an off the shelf Fox 10" adjustable remote reservoir shock on. Will eventually look into a similar setup for the rear of the multi-link cars, but likely not going to cut into one of those until later in the summer.
Out of out shop we've done a handful of cages and I stock and sell Porterfield pads and make skidplates for the E36 models. We can also do a weld in cage kit for any E36 model, $1500 and up plus shipping from Denver. In process of updating my website with information on what we have available, hopefully live by the end of this month.
We are working on developing more parts specific to the E36 for rallying. Stock vented brakes seem to be sufficient starting out provided you have good pads. We are working on a rally brake kit but that's another one that won't be til either later in the year unless someone comes along with some money that needs it.

Not much experience with autos but we might have a few spare auto pedal sets around if you need any! Dave already posted about all the auto stuff he has lying around. Good luck and welcome!!!

Grant Hughes
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

April 16, 2014 06:23PM
did anyone minchin a 4l60e with a 60deg bellhousing
and a manual valve body

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
DrivingImpaired
Kyle Benedict
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
e36 328is

April 17, 2014 10:53PM
Thanks everyone for getting back to me! Jari and I have been emailing back and forth and he is overloading me with excellent information.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself a bit about the tranny concerns since I haven't even driven her yet! Jari wrote me a pretty good explanation of what I will encounter but it's hard for me to fully grasp it until I experience it myself I guess. (I told him, my e92 335 has the Alpina TCU flash which downshifts like a pro and does rev-matching as well. Not driving with that will definitely be a new experience for me!)

Dave, thanks for the update on Jari's car and your experiences with it.

Grant, your first sentence made me laugh out loud! Also, as I get this thing built, I will be keeping you and John in mind for those parts you mentioned. Luckily I will just be starting out in simple Rallycross events, so investing in a cage won't eat into my budget for a while yet.

Tdrally, that went way over my head!
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

April 18, 2014 08:46AM
ok

4l60e is very easy to convert to a manual valve body,or paddle shift
the newer versions have a bolt on bell housing, gm has a 60deg v6 that uses the 4l60 trans
the bell housing is smaller than the 90deg v8

monster transmission sells a race/hd kit for the 4l60 that would work for your needs
the only issue i can see is the engine to trans adaptor you would need

at any rate i'm looking forward to meeting and rallying with you

bttmotorsport
Jari Hamalainen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Opel Monza, Chevy Monza to be finished 2012, BMW 318 iS

April 18, 2014 09:01AM
tdrrally
ok

4l60e is very easy to convert to a manual valve body,or paddle shift
the newer versions have a bolt on bell housing, gm has a 60deg v6 that uses the 4l60 trans
the bell housing is smaller than the 90deg v8

monster transmission sells a race/hd kit for the 4l60 that would work for your needs
the only issue i can see is the engine to trans adaptor you would need

at any rate i'm looking forward to meeting and rallying with you

Problem with e36 is the size of 4L60, we thought about that too, but would require quite bit of body modification + the electronic side isn´t quite that simple, or cheap...
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

April 18, 2014 09:34AM
ok

drop the electrics and run straight manual 4l60

you guys are deeper in to the e36 than i am, but it sounds like a very cool project

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login