Posted by Eric Ewert 
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Re: Volvo 240 Rally build
September 12, 2015 07:31PM
While I am of the belief that it is good to go drive the car for a good bit before entering something I could probably have that aspect covered before pfr. However I am almost certainly going to hold off till 2016. That way I got a lower key, and close to home event to run (cochrane) as the first rally I do. Second not sure If i could race the national category at pfr or rocky, so from my standpoint seems like a bit of a waste to go all the way out there only to race 2/3 the distance.
Third, I kinda wanna make my first season a full one... in other words do all the western canada events.

Well I went for a more proper drive today and while it ended on low note (car died thanks to an electrical gremlin... I think it has a habbit of eating MAF's) I don't care. It was a good laugh and really rewarding to see 100's if not 1000+ hours of work actually moving. Driving it around makes me feel... well very immature in the best way possible. grinning smiley

It goes through the gears rather quick despite its humble stock 115 or so hp. No surprise there... its got 4.88 gearing. T5 gearbox is a treat to use. Opinions are opinions but it for me is the slickest gearbox I have used to date. Quick shifts, no fuss and good 1-4 ratios. 5th is very steep but good for cruising and a excellent feel to the lever.

Can't really comment on the diff or 4 link, I was taking it very slow around turns as I had some pretty good wheel rub going on thanks to the extra width on the toyota axle. hopefully changing to a different rim(s) I have will sort it.

Oh... I was surprised to find that the diff didn't bind in tighter turns, its 100% streetable. Either that or I butchered the install. That being said didn't try it on full lock for any serious duration of time.

There are a few funky noises, its tough to tell what is and isnt normal as the car is radically different and louder than the first version which just had a cage, jvab rears and nothing else done.

MOOOOOOORRRRREEEEE!!!! I wanna drive it MOORRREEEE!!! Can't wait to bring it out to our ghost lake events this winter!!! Should be a good laugh!!!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
MattP
Matt Pullen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

September 12, 2015 09:28PM
Immature whim, shouting on forums? OK.

Nice one Eric, as for distance PFR is split into two regional events or one National event. So even if you have just a regional licence you still get the full distance for your money, so if you have an issue on the first day you can still get points on the second.
I think that the organisor of Rocky was going to be looking at the same format.

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

September 13, 2015 10:15PM
Good to know how they are running those rallies, thanks for the heads up. But I still think I want to make cochrane my first event.

So turns out there is no problem with the maf... I ran it out of gas! grinning smiley Perhaps a little to excited to get it going haha. Oh well, had a bit of fun with it tonight, lots of stupid grins. Need to address some teething issues but should be good when 100% sorted.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 13, 2015 10:36PM
Eric Ewert
Good to know how they are running those rallies, thanks for the heads up. But I still think I want to make cochrane my first event.

So turns out there is no problem with the maf... I ran it out of gas! grinning smiley Perhaps a little to excited to get it going haha. Oh well, had a bit of fun with it tonight, lots of stupid grins. Need to address some teething issues but should be good when 100% sorted.

No gas gauge?

Now just imagine if you did "like everybody says' and had entered your first event straight from the garage..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

September 14, 2015 12:03AM
Nope gas gauge works perfectly, I simply never bothered to look at it. Makes you wonder how I ever managed to build this thing in the first place... whats even more amazing is that I still have all my fingers; so I can still count to 13!!!
MattP
Matt Pullen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

September 14, 2015 10:43AM
My only thing about starting Cochrane as your first rally is the changeable conditions on the stages from sheet ice though mud and finishing on gravel, that was just one set of corners. I would hate for you to put it off on the ice/snow on your first event. If you can try and use the next two events as a guide to what the car can do normally it might help.

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

September 15, 2015 12:59AM
I think there is an over-night TSD in the Calgary area this weekend. Wouldn't that be a great way to feel out the car?
wildert
Brian Klausen
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

September 15, 2015 02:02AM
Eric Ewert
Nope gas gauge works perfectly, I simply never bothered to look at it. Makes you wonder how I ever managed to build this thing in the first place... whats even more amazing is that I still have all my fingers; so I can still count to 13!!!

Been there, done that - cost me a 2 mile run around 1 AM at night, wearing my coveralls, jacket, etc. - not exactly optimal attire for "a bit of a jog".
Thankfully I wasn't wearing my steel nose shoes - would have been a right pain to run in those.

Luckily I had a jerry can of gas in the garage, shoved it along with the pump, in the DD, and drove out and emptied the jerry can in the Golf and drove that back.
Had the missus drop me off at the DD the next morning on the way to work.

Was I a bit tired after being up until 2:30-ish on a "school night" - sure thing... makes you wonder why the fudge we pour all that time into this sport...

Brgrds
Brian

Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Senior Moderator

September 16, 2015 10:09AM
Eric Ewert

Lots of TSDs around to be had. Huge mileage on the right surfaces. Don't worry about scores, but don't drive like an ass either. Great for learning a bunch about teamwork in the car and following instructions. It may not be 'at speed' but seat-time on loose surface is a good thing (and required for a license in Canada)

If you want to enter Cochrane next year, look at doing Thunderbird in BC next February.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

September 19, 2015 01:25AM
wildert
Eric Ewert

Been there, done that - cost me a 2 mile run around 1 AM at night, wearing my coveralls, jacket, etc. - not exactly optimal attire for "a bit of a jog".
Thankfully I wasn't wearing my steel nose shoes - would have been a right pain to run in those.

Luckily I had a jerry can of gas in the garage, shoved it along with the pump, in the DD, and drove out and emptied the jerry can in the Golf and drove that back.
Had the missus drop me off at the DD the next morning on the way to work.

Was I a bit tired after being up until 2:30-ish on a "school night" - sure thing... makes you wonder why the fudge we pour all that time into this sport...

Glad to hear im not the only one! My dad and I have joked that there should be the tradesman olympics... featuring events like the 100 meter steel toe boot sprint! Blue coveralls mandatory of course!

MattP
My only thing about starting Cochrane as your first rally is the changeable conditions on the stages from sheet ice though mud and finishing on gravel, that was just one set of corners. I would hate for you to put it off on the ice/snow on your first event. If you can try and use the next two events as a guide to what the car can do normally it might help.

Valid point Matt but honestly I could see rocky having the potential for very similar conditions. But what it boils down to aside from the previously mentioned things is I want to power up a few more bucks before jumping into this.

ALS FTW
I think there is an over-night TSD in the Calgary area this weekend. Wouldn't that be a great way to feel out the car?

Thanks for the heads up Don, I think your right but honestly for the remainder of the summer/ fall im spending most of my spare time riding bikes! I can do car stuff again in the winter.
Not Trolling
Eric Ewert

Lots of TSDs around to be had. Huge mileage on the right surfaces. Don't worry about scores, but don't drive like an ass either. Great for learning a bunch about teamwork in the car and following instructions. It may not be 'at speed' but seat-time on loose surface is a good thing (and required for a license in Canada)

If you want to enter Cochrane next year, look at doing Thunderbird in BC next February.

Thanks for the info! I think I actually have done enough to get a license (including a couple tsd's) but regardless I will consider doing one of these again to confirm the car and myself are up to snuff!
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

January 25, 2016 12:27AM
Well It's been a while so I suppose I should give a bit of an update. Unfortunately I can't find the usb for my camera so there won't be any wrenching related photos. Which is a small problem but no matter...

So around November the diff decided to let go in an abrupt fashion... specifically the gear set. I was in school (and still am) and had zero time to remedy it so the car sat for 2 months before Christmas break.

Over the Christmas break I grabbed a 4.56 open diff (complete 4runner center section) from pick n pull and got the car back on the road. Still chasing a few small problems but overall ok. I do miss the supra diff though. sad smiley I will go more into the diff in the near future.

Other than that sorted out the interior properly, got the wiring/ dash tidied up and replaced the heater motor as it died.... surprise. eye rolling smiley

The rear brakes were a big problem, seized piston on one and pads that looked mummified. Couldn't pass on some really well priced re-manufactured calipers so in they went. Still not quite what Im after for brake bias but much better. Before the rears would do absolutely nothing and make the car twitchy under hard braking thanks to things being very uneven side to side. Better now, still want more power to the rear brakes though as the fronts lock too early. I may try moving the limiting valve to the front circuit at some point.

And so just been street driving the car around. Everything has been good other than some squeaks and vibrations I want to address. Nothing to critical though.

So out to ghost lake it went for some semi-proper testing.. Only major problem was the exhaust came loose and made speech in the car an even more strained task! Also rear suspension needs some work.

For the record/ these photos: still no jvabs on the front, open diff and yes I will be redoing the exhaust at the back for better ground clearance. I don't like that muffler anyway so I got a new one thats more compact and should tuck in better.

Without further ado: Thank you very much KGphoto for letting me use these. You made my day with these shots and I had a blast out there!

https://www.facebook.com/Kgphoto-175644492506372/timeline?ref=page_internal

https://www.instagram.com/kgphotoltd/
Attachments:
open | download - How Weekends Should be Spent.jpg (34.2 KB)
How Weekends Should be Spent.jpg
open | download - ghost Jan 24th.jpg (45.4 KB)
ghost Jan 24th.jpg
open | download - ghost Jan 24th (3).jpg (36.6 KB)
ghost Jan 24th (3).jpg
open | download - ghost Jan 24th (2).jpg (27.3 KB)
ghost Jan 24th (2).jpg
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

January 25, 2016 10:54AM
Right on!
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Senior Moderator

January 25, 2016 12:22PM
I know some people have used different brake pads front and rear to adjust bias in PGT cars that weren't allowed adjustable brake bias.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

January 25, 2016 01:43PM
Your brick is lookin' real nice eric!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 25, 2016 06:48PM
Hey several questions..You call i call back but do it now.
First question: did you re-plumb?
2) didya by-pass OEM limiter?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login