John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Volvo 240 Rally build
March 01, 2016 11:12AM
Robert Culbertson
john vanlandingham

Same PUMP and I believe same part number for 240, 740, Xratty, 900 Saab, and a long list of other cars...LONG list..

I'm sure they will all fit. The 740 turbo in-tank pump is substantially larger than the stock (and replacement) 240 ones (longer and bigger diameter). The 740 Turbo pump is about the same size as a Walbro 255 or a 5.oh Mustang pump.

To Eric:
You can also just slap a Walbro 255, or a fox-body mustang pump in the tank if you want. Then you can rid yourself of the wrong 2-pump system (the right 2-pump system is mo bettah though). You may need to upgrade your fuel lines though, depending on what you installed when you built the car.

He is speaking of the stock 240 pre pump...

ALFA ROMEO SPIDER 1982-1994
MAZDA B2200 1987-1993
MAZDA B2600 1987-1988
BUICK SKYHAWK 1975-1980
CHEVROLET MONZA 1975-1980
OLDSMOBILE STARFIRE 1975-1980
PONTIAC SUNBIRD 1976-1980
SAAB 9000 1986
VOLVO 240 1990-1993
VOLVO 242 1984
VOLVO 740 1985-1992
VOLVO 745 1985
VOLVO 760 1983-1985

And no he's not so stupid top put the main 2 pumps in the tank just because a lot of not-too-far-thinking-herd-animals say its good...he's smarter than to make access to a vital part intentionally difficult to simply get to..for no good reason.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Godlike Moderator

March 01, 2016 01:57PM
But I'm talking about the not-as-crappy 740 Turbo pump, that just so happens to fit in the same location.

Spectre SP1248

Maximum Free Flow Rate (gph) 60
Maximum Pressure Rate (psi) 18
Minimum Free Flow Rate (gph) 60
Minimum Pressure Rate (psi) 13
Outlet Count 1
Outlet Size 3/8
Outlet Type Hose Connect
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 02:29PM
Robert Culbertson
But I'm talking about the not-as-crappy 740 Turbo pump, that just so happens to fit in the same location.

Spectre SP1248

Maximum Free Flow Rate (gph) 60
Maximum Pressure Rate (psi) 18
Minimum Free Flow Rate (gph) 60
Minimum Pressure Rate (psi) 13
Outlet Count 1
Outlet Size 3/8
Outlet Type Hose Connect

I want to say "Good for you, talk all you want" but this has gone so off topic that I don't have any idea what you are suggesting..

Shirley you are not realistically suggesting to doing away with an easy to reach vital part and mount it into the tank so that access is always a monster major pain in the ass are you.?
What imagine advantage would you imagine have a single silly pump inside the tank where access is a big pain versus 2 in the trunk area somewhere where acess is quick and easy And clean up also easy??.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

March 01, 2016 02:41PM
John, there are 2..TWO... fuel pumps on a stock Volvo 240. Last time I checked, that's what Eric had. Once again, TWO fuel pumps on a Volvo 240.

There's an in-tank lift pump that feeds the high-pressure fuel pump, and you can read about how the in-tank pump is no longer working in Eric's car. I suggested using a slightly upgraded pump in place of the standard in-tank pump. Only on the first few years of 240s do they have a gravity fed high-pressure pump.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 02:56PM
Robert Culbertson
John, there are 2..TWO... fuel pumps on a stock Volvo 240. Last time I checked, that's what Eric had. Once again, TWO fuel pumps on a Volvo 240.

There's an in-tank lift pump that feeds the high-pressure fuel pump, and you can read about how the in-tank pump is no longer working in Eric's car. I suggested using a slightly upgraded pump in place of the standard in-tank pump. Only on the first few years of 240s do they have a gravity fed high-pressure pump.

Look Morison, when you mommy was wiping you shitty bottom I knew there were 2 fuel pumps, so Morison you don't need to lecture. You know what I am asking and I have told you that Eric is not stupid..

And to make YOUR badly need task of learning easier I gave you all the information HE needed to make to correct decision..... So it turns out you actually are suggesting that he place a single main pump in a place where access is extremely annoying, and you are suggesting some sketchy pump as well..

IF you were as smart as your snarky and sarcastic attitude presents, you would have read that the idea has already been discarded as patently, and mind mindbogglingly DUMB....So shut up about it...
He knows the lift pump is a pain as well but they are far less stressed and tolerate a lot more crap..so it can stay.
When he has TIME then he can make a mounting set up and plumb the 2 good Bosch pumps all wired and fused separately..

That is not his goal now...

Please. Learn to read, learn what words imply and think of context...

Maybe go re-read Ecclesiastes a few times till you incorporate its lessons.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

March 01, 2016 03:15PM
John, I'm getting so confused as to what you are actually talking about. Be more specific when you have an issue with something, the verbal diarrhea that spews forth from your mouth is starting to stink up the place. I agree that in-tank pumps suck, I agree that 2 in the trunk is a great idea.

Look, I even mention it here:
Robert Culbertson
I'm sure they will all fit. The 740 turbo in-tank pump is substantially larger than the stock (and replacement) 240 ones (longer and bigger diameter). The 740 Turbo pump is about the same size as a Walbro 255 or a 5.oh Mustang pump.

To Eric:
You can also just slap a Walbro 255, or a fox-body mustang pump in the tank if you want. Then you can rid yourself of the wrong 2-pump system (the right 2-pump system is mo bettah though). You may need to upgrade your fuel lines though, depending on what you installed when you built the car.

Yes, I mention that a high-pressure in-tank pump will work with very little effort. It will even help by getting the stock pump out from under the car.
It seems to me that removing the pump under the car (is it still there on Erics car?) by upgrading to a better in-tank pump is not a step backwards, but forwards.
I have had more stock Volvo pumps fail than any upgraded in-tank, Walbro, or mustang pump. My current tally is 3 high-pressure volvo pump failures, 3 stock-replacement in-tank pump failures, zero 740 turbo in-tank pump failures (of 3 installed), and zero walbro in-tank high-pressure pump failures (2 installed, one not on a Volvo).

But whatever. You don't really care what others can bring to the table.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

March 01, 2016 05:02PM
Anyway...

One last thing, if you jump the intank pump with the car off would you be able to hear it run if it actually worked? I know the external one is very apparent not so sure about the one in the tank.

Im not reading through all of the last section so to clarify... nothing is getting changed or upgraded right now. With 5 days before an event that would be stupid. Im slamming a new stock pump in there and down the road will do something better.
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

March 01, 2016 05:15PM
Yeah... Sorry about the mess...

You should be able to hear it. Another way to check the pump is to pull the big rubber hose out of the back of the high-pressure pump under the car and check for fuel flow from the in-tank pump. It shouldn't be a garden hose of fuel but a decent stream.
If you're not flowing, and you are sure that it's jumped properly, the issue is the pump, or the short section of rubber hose in the tank.
Grab a new in tank filter while you're in there. They can fall apart and clog the inlet to the pump as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 05:16PM by Robert Culbertson.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

March 01, 2016 05:39PM
Yup I was on that one... sourcing the stupid o ring for the sender to tank seal is proving difficult locally.
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

March 01, 2016 05:45PM
Eric Ewert
Yup I was on that one... sourcing the stupid o ring for the sender to tank seal is proving difficult locally.

You don't need to replace it, but you should. If it's cracked, you really need to replace it. I've reused them with a thin coating of grease to help them seal back up, and to make the nut easier to tighten. Ymmv though.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

March 01, 2016 05:48PM
Cool good to know. Would rtv sealant be out of the question if the thing is cracked and I cant get it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 05:49PM by Eric Ewert.
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

March 01, 2016 05:56PM
I wouldn't, but that's because I haven't had luck doing that in the past. There are some that are fuel resistant RTVs, but you would need a fair bit to fill the o-ring detent. But still might not seal switch the tank and the nut being stamped sheet metal.
Are there any hydraulic or bearing shops in your area? They usually stock o-rings and seal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 05:56PM by Robert Culbertson.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Super Moderator

March 01, 2016 06:08PM
Robert Culbertson
I agree that in-tank pumps suck...
That made me snicker.
I think we can all agee that ALL pumps suck. :-)

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Robert Culbertson
Godlike Moderator

March 01, 2016 06:18PM
Not Trolling
Robert Culbertson
I agree that in-tank pumps suck...
That made me snicker.
I think we can all agee that ALL pumps suck. :-)

facepalm
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 06:19PM by Robert Culbertson.
alkun
Albert Kun
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

March 01, 2016 10:17PM
while you are at replacing your in-tank, take care and replace the little hose that connects the pump to the hard line. Many volvos have gone to the crusher because of a failure of this fifty cent part.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login