Posted by Eric Ewert 
Tree18is
Daniel Serna
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW 318i

Re: Volvo 240 Rally build
March 06, 2014 05:56PM
Late arrival here but if you plan on running the Volvo trans that's great. I have some Volvo hydro stuff and a t5 adapter I got at IPD a few years back. Email me if intrested exhibitionmotorsports at yahoo!
Happy building!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Tree18is
Daniel Serna
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW 318i

March 06, 2014 05:58PM
The cage is looking beautiful
alkun
Albert Kun
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

March 06, 2014 10:41PM
Looks like you should be able to get those seats at least 2 inches lower with proper mounts. Before you cut those ones up, see if you can return them and get some sparco ones.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

March 06, 2014 11:28PM
Doivi Clarkinen
I can see what your problem is. Your side laterals go way to the inside where they connect to the main hoop. Why is that? You've got an enormous gap to the roof (to the sideabove the door.) They should follow close to the roof above the door and maybe kink in a bit to connect to the main hoop at the bend. That would give you a lot more head room. Also, I don't like V's in the roof myself. An X gives better triangulation and a bigger space above your head. Your seat mount looks a bit high in the back, too. Try making that lower.

First of all i'm not trying to argue with you, this is just what I see/ understand and im trying to learn something here.

Yes I realize that I should have had the side lateral closer to the roof edge especially towards the back. I should of had the A pillar angle a bit less if that makes sense. A drawing would make it very clear. So it ended up connecting to the mainhoop about 1.5 inches to far inwards. Not perfect I know but im learning and I think it will still be ok. Oddly enough even with helmet my head does not touch the side lateral, its only really close to the V in the roof.

Im kinda confused how a "X" in the roof gives you more headroom? Don't you end up with a tube going straight through where your head goes, with a V don't you end up with a triangle shaped spot around your head?

Tree18is
Late arrival here but if you plan on running the Volvo trans that's great. I have some Volvo hydro stuff and a t5 adapter I got at IPD a few years back. Email me if intrested exhibitionmotorsports at yahoo!
Happy building!

There is no way in hell I am running that volvo trans, the ratios blow big chunks. Ill send you a pm on that adapter. I've got a ford box and johns bellhousings are drilled for camaro so no point in doing a one off bellhousing. Ill send you a pm later.

alkun
Looks like you should be able to get those seats at least 2 inches lower with proper mounts. Before you cut those ones up, see if you can return them and get some sparco ones.

Ill look into it but I have my doubts, got them in a group buy with the seats and that was a little while ago. Not to mention that there are a couple nibble marks from where the bolts have been.

On a side note Al could you post a couple pics of your cage? Im curious to see how things were done in your car.
Project328is
Arno Guerin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242

March 06, 2014 11:54PM
It is time to post some pictures of the Volvo project. Thanks to the help of many local rally people, eventually, the car might be ready for Olympus.

I hope that those pictures will help… The cage was done by Mr Dave Clark and this is how it looks...thumbs up smiley

Arno

"Sideways get you there Faster"
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0057.jpg (47.7 KB)
IMG_0057.jpg
open | download - IMG_0059.jpg (44.1 KB)
IMG_0059.jpg
open | download - IMG_0062.JPG (35.5 KB)
IMG_0062.JPG
open | download - IMG_0354.jpg (33.3 KB)
IMG_0354.jpg
open | download - IMG_0354.jpg (33.3 KB)
IMG_0354.jpg
open | download - IMG_0158.JPG (25.7 KB)
IMG_0158.JPG
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

March 07, 2014 12:07AM
Well, thats rather well built. thumbs up

Oh since were on the topic of seats, did you cut the bulge on passenger side tranny tunnel to get the seat in there properly? If I remember correctly the catalytic converter sits in this bulge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 12:16AM by Eric Ewert.
Project328is
Arno Guerin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242

March 07, 2014 12:14AM
Plenty of room, easy in and out and plenty safe… he has done a really nice job!!!

Good luck with the rest of the built, the 240's are back...smileys with beer

Arno

Tree18is
Daniel Serna
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW 318i

March 07, 2014 01:05AM
I guess first thing when building a cage is to determine which organization you plane to race with Right? then meet their reg's. True/false

Also what is the thickness on the mounting points to the body *sheet metal/plate guys*
And tube Diameter ?

I FUCKN love volvo's but I have an e30 habit.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

March 07, 2014 01:49AM
Tree18is
I guess first thing when building a cage is to determine which organization you plane to race with Right? then meet their reg's. True/false

Also what is the thickness on the mounting points to the body *sheet metal/plate guys*
And tube Diameter ?

I FUCKN love volvo's but I have an e30 habit.

Pretty much, i'm building this to CARS (Canadian Association of RallySport) regulations which follows the Fia article 253 rules for cages with a couple of deviations if you so desire. I understand log booking it in canada will still allow me to compete in the states. I have no idea what rally america's rules for cages are. Thats probably what you would build to.

Tubing is 1.75 inch diameter x 0.095 wall thickness.

Plates must be a minimum 3mm thick. I use 1/8th inch thick plate =3.175mm.

If you need convincing to drop the e30 habbit, don't worry, there are plenty of persuaders around these parts.grinning smiley Ill keep my mouth shut because my teenage opinion is really not worth much.
Tree18is
Daniel Serna
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW 318i

March 07, 2014 02:22AM
im balls deep in my e30 so ill keep it. im sure ill crash it one day! then it gets even worse! a Mustang....
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

March 07, 2014 04:31AM
Eric Ewert
Doivi Clarkinen
I can see what your problem is. Your side laterals go way to the inside where they connect to the main hoop. Why is that? You've got an enormous gap to the roof (to the sideabove the door.) They should follow close to the roof above the door and maybe kink in a bit to connect to the main hoop at the bend. That would give you a lot more head room. Also, I don't like V's in the roof myself. An X gives better triangulation and a bigger space above your head. Your seat mount looks a bit high in the back, too. Try making that lower.

First of all i'm not trying to argue with you, this is just what I see/ understand and im trying to learn something here.

Yes I realize that I should have had the side lateral closer to the roof edge especially towards the back. I should of had the A pillar angle a bit less if that makes sense. A drawing would make it very clear. So it ended up connecting to the mainhoop about 1.5 inches to far inwards. Not perfect I know but im learning and I think it will still be ok. Oddly enough even with helmet my head does not touch the side lateral, its only really close to the V in the roof.

Im kinda confused how a "X" in the roof gives you more headroom? Don't you end up with a tube going straight through where your head goes, with a V don't you end up with a triangle shaped spot around your head?

No worries, just trying to give constructive criticism.

With a V (at least the one in your picture) you've got a tube directly above your head. With an X at least you have open space above your head, unless you have the main hoop positioned such the the seat back is all the way up against it. In any case If you've got the cage fitting right up against the roof and you've got the seat mounts as low as possible there should be plenty of headroom in a Volvo. The V also has poor triangulation.
Project328is
Arno Guerin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242

March 07, 2014 09:55AM
This is how he did the roof, and for the bulge on the passenger side, I am not sure, I don't remember seeing that bulge you are mentioning??? Question for Dave Clarkinenen...

Arno

Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0103.JPG (47.6 KB)
IMG_0103.JPG
open | download - IMG_0121.JPG (50.8 KB)
IMG_0121.JPG
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

March 07, 2014 09:55AM
How are you guys doing the skid plates on your Volvos?

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
Project328is
Arno Guerin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242

March 07, 2014 10:03AM
This is the tank shield… I have no pictures of the skid!

Arno

Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0379.JPG (24.3 KB)
IMG_0379.JPG
Project328is
Arno Guerin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242

March 07, 2014 10:06AM
and this one...

Arno

Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0380.JPG (24.4 KB)
IMG_0380.JPG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login