Posted by OjNK 
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS P4WD

Another cage travesty
May 18, 2013 07:08PM
Thought you guys might be interested in this one, it just makes me ill inside. Local guy goes to a 'reputable' shop to get his Custom Cages cage installed in his EVO. The results are among the worst I've ever seen, and it was a cage KIT! Its not like they even had to build/bend the damn thing themselves! Makes me doubly nauseous that when you factor in the CC Cage and the labor (that I can't believe he actually paid on receiving this) he's out more than I paid for my entire rally car.

http://www.armsinc.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12232&sid=c65ba8090eb04ff05ee05a50820845ef

Some people need to be taught a lesson.

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

Re: Another cage travesty
May 18, 2013 07:31PM
Holy shit.

I am not an advocate of suing my ANY means... but this is one of those cases where I would go that far to get ALL my money back. Cage/labor/etc.

My god thats horrible

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 18, 2013 07:36PM
There ARE laws in Nova Scotia, but the wheels of the law turns slowly, and the guy is majorly fucked any way you look at it...

Good god..

Thing is he must be able to some sort of lawsuit, but collection everywhere is always the problem..

I had a local guy do the install on 2 pre-bent cage kits, I showed the guy the same kit in my personal car, handed him pre made spreader plates and boxes with loose tops, 'splained how I wanted it, he said OK about 8-9 hours. I went on a trip to China for a month, came back the filthy weasel said "Oh it was 28 hours each", no difference from a normal job...

Locally everybody said "Oh he always triples his quotes" and "Thats par for the course---he's always dealing with Micro-softies so they don't care about money"

And while the fit around the windshield was good, it was no better than my install----and NOTHING ELSE was done to the instructions...including not using the spreader plates or boxes supplied...

"But we spent sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much time making it PERFECT! fit...."

Last I heard he had disappeared owing everybody money including one kind person who lent him $25,000 cash....and that told by the person not some rumor.

Lotta slimy bastids around..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2013 08:52PM by john vanlandingham.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

May 18, 2013 07:40PM
Well I feel a lot better about my fabrication skills now!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 18, 2013 07:42PM
Dazed_Driver
Holy shit.

I am not an advocate of suing my ANY means... but this is one of those cases where I would go that far to get ALL my money back. Cage/labor/etc.

My god thats horrible

Criminal Fraud, reckless endangerment, extortion (threatening violence to get the payment)

So he's stuck: proceed civil action, never collect on a judgement, or try to get the cops to push away from the counter at Tim Horton's and do something that they may not be able to collect anything in fines---so likely they'll shrug and say "Getta Lawyer"

The guy should get the local newspaper and TV "Channel 11 Scandal Team!" on the case...It has all the makings of a good human interest story....PTSD Vet robbed of all this money..

Sickening.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Dobmaster
Alain Lavoie
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
93 STI Wagon

May 19, 2013 09:58AM
Robert Culbertson
Well I feel a lot better about my fabrication skills now!
Hell ya ! thumbs up smiley
I just hope he is not going to ask them to fix it...Its hopeless, the idiot that did this simply wont be able to make it rigth...
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

May 19, 2013 08:01PM
The owner posted a couple more pictures today, just as bad. I have no idea what I'd do, but it wouldn't be pretty. I'd probably be trying to use my PTSD as way out of the legal sticky I got myself into when I opened the guy's head with a tire iron.

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 19, 2013 09:02PM
OjNK
The owner posted a couple more pictures today, just as bad. I have no idea what I'd do, but it wouldn't be pretty. I'd probably be trying to use my PTSD as way out of the legal sticky I got myself into when I opened the guy's head with a tire iron.

Gordon this IS a case of virtual rape andf all but what the hell is going on out there that the poor victim is led or CAST astray?
He clearl6y hasn't a clue what anything costs, and should cost--nobody directed him to "safe' businesses, nobody advised restraint in this project, he's going to be broke before he ever gets a licence at this rate...

And nobody intervened?

I don't get it?

On the other hand he says " This cage project alone came in at just under 8k. "

And I cannot help to think "a fool and his money is soon parted".
What is the guy thinking 8k?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
May 20, 2013 12:53PM
A Custom Cages (CC) cage is no good unless they send you the cert papers. The only way to get cert papers is after submitting a weld sample and videos (tacked in place and fully welded in) directly to CC, and they’ve gotten a lot stricter in recent years so I can't imagine this cage will ever be certified, a total waste!

A cage is roughly $2k delivered to the US....so he paid $6k to ruin $2k....

edit...it's even missing at least one bar in the first picture, the kicker from the main hoop up to the shock tower. Admittedly, that is one of the most difficult junctions on an EVO X....I guess he decided it was easier to leave the bar out (or it's not complete yet).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 01:00PM by urr.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 20, 2013 01:37PM
urr
A Custom Cages (CC) cage is no good unless they send you the cert papers. The only way to get cert papers is after submitting a weld sample and videos (tacked in place and fully welded in) directly to CC, and they’ve gotten a lot stricter in recent years so I can't imagine this cage will ever be certified, a total waste!

A cage is roughly $2k delivered to the US....so he paid $6k to ruin $2k....

edit...it's even missing at least one bar in the first picture, the kicker from the main hoop up to the shock tower. Admittedly, that is one of the most difficult junctions on an EVO X....I guess he decided it was easier to leave the bar out (or it's not complete yet).

Yeah, something doesn't add up.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

May 20, 2013 01:54PM
I don't know the full story, he did ask for reputable builders last fall and was directed to someone that I'm unfamiliar with but good people recommended them. I have no idea whether he actually went there or struck out on his own.

As the guy's post indicates he basically dove head first into high performance vehicles with the money he came into. Kind of foreign to me to do something like that without due diligence, but its far from the first time I've seen that, unfortunately. People often only see the goal and the quickest theoretical path to get there.

urr: A Custom Cages kit landed in Canada is closer to $3500 when its all said and done. I'm reasonable sure this entire cage is scrap metal now. Its sickening.

mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 20, 2013 05:43PM
Learning to weld, great idea.

Learning to weld on a cage, probably not the best of ideas.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 20, 2013 06:37PM
OjNK
I don't know the full story, he did ask for reputable builders last fall and was directed to someone that I'm unfamiliar with but good people recommended them. I have no idea whether he actually went there or struck out on his own.

As the guy's post indicates he basically dove head first into high performance vehicles with the money he came into. Kind of foreign to me to do something like that without due diligence, but its far from the first time I've seen that, unfortunately. People often only see the goal and the quickest theoretical path to get there.

urr: A Custom Cages kit landed in Canada is closer to $3500 when its all said and done. I'm reasonable sure this entire cage is scrap metal now. Its sickening.

I look at the entrance into the sport as very critical, an error early on just keeps getting bigger as it unfolds. Wrong approach--viewpoint /attitude x time or distance= tears and woe...

I feel sorry for the guy but you said the words : due care and diligence...

And I say we can't save them all.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
EricW
Eric Wages
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 WRX

May 20, 2013 09:56PM
PLEASE tell me that this shop isn't on my map:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=208157819221685814990.00046295d84800b7adaeb
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 20, 2013 11:24PM
I bet its not, since think they said nova Scotia? Is there a Bing is mapquest version of that map? [/ducksforcover]

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login