john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Volvo 242 GT Build
August 01, 2013 01:05PM
Steve-O
In the process of removing sound deadening material I managed to poke a hole in the only rust spot I've found in the car thus far. Which is here on the passenger side quarter near the wheel well.

I could properly try and fix this but I was also thinking what if instead I used this spot as a side exit exhaust? Something like this.

Not my original idea for the exhaust on this thing but might be easier than fixing the rust properly and gain more clearence in the rear?

What are your thoughts on this?

Also I've noticed the rear is sagging which is common on these cars due to old springs. I was doing some looking around online and found factory 12mm springs for $63 a piece, I can get 12.7mm wagon springs for $45 a piece or 13mm hd wagon springs for $39 a piece all of these are brand new parts. I was thinking of buying the hd springs...would this be a good choice?

Everbody I have ever known who cobbed together some side exit hated the noise and most re-did it in a matter of weeks.

As for springs. You don't want stiff rear...And you cannot assume that the fatter wire is always firmer. If its fatter but more total length of wire---ie more coils, then it could be same or softer..

You want that Volvo to work at putting down power, then you want travel..you then trade travel for grip by running relatively soft springs and let the car hunker down--but remain complaint to the bumps so the wheels follow the ground.. That takes travel.. And to get that and really make the Volvo work, that means just sitting down and bending up some towers and shifting the shock and spring to the axle.
It is a transformation of the car---you really won't believe it.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Steve-O
Steve Janes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'79 Volvo 242 GT

August 01, 2013 03:58PM
I know what you mean John, I was just on FCPs website when I came across the springs unfortunately they don't provide any other specs on the springs other than the coil diameter. I was thinking of the wagon springs 1. Because they're cheaper than the sedan/coupe and 2. My thought process is that wagon springs should be taller when installed on a car without the weight of a wagonback lol
I'd like to do a legit suspension on it such as the one on Pat Darrow's car but I dont have the means or the money at the moment to do such work, not to mention for now I'll just be playing in a field haha

As far as the exhaut is concerned its just an idea thats been kicking around between myself and a few friends. If I did it, its something I'd like to do right in hopes of not too much noise or exhaust vibrations. I helped a friend of mine make one once at autozone because his broke just after the dp and it didn't sound too bad. Honestly though my orginial intension for it is to come out the back near the middle kinda like the old Alfa GTA/Vs from the late 60s early 70s. These are all just ideas though nothing set in stone and who knows how I'll feel when it actually come\s time to do it.
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 01, 2013 10:31PM
I'm pretty sure there is something in the rules about exhaust at the rear of the car. Better check the book. As for that rust, cut it out, slather in POR-15, pack in some adobe and you're good. Don't do too good a job and it will make the car faster on stage.
Steve-O
Steve Janes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'79 Volvo 242 GT

August 01, 2013 11:33PM
If it comes to me and body work it probably wont be good lol From what I've read in the rules books down here (SCCA) as long as it exits rear of the driver seat its good but that can also change from organization to organization too.
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 02, 2013 12:03AM
ah, I was thinnin of the RA and NASA rulebooks for rally. For rallycross you could probly get away with a stack sticking out the hood.
Steve-O
Steve Janes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'79 Volvo 242 GT

August 02, 2013 12:26AM
haha yeah SCCA is pretty open but it'd be nice if they weren't the only ones doing any type of rally in Florida.
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

August 03, 2013 09:28AM
scca should be "terminate behind the driver" it seems to go back and forth about if it needs to go out the side or back.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
Steve-O
Steve Janes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'79 Volvo 242 GT

August 03, 2013 08:13PM
Its probably up to who evers doing inspection to make the call I'm assuming? Down here I'm sure I'd get away with the side exit, however I'm more than likely going to end up running it out the rear like I origianlly intended to. It's probably just going to be easier and cheaper that way.
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 03, 2013 09:56PM
If you you need to redo your exhaust, this is actually a good deal, easy to install, doesnt rattle, adds a few hp., sounds good, fits, won't make you go deaf/piss off neighbors and cops...

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5608/102804-sport-exhaust-for-non-turbo-models

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 09:57PM by alkun.
Steve-O
Steve Janes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'79 Volvo 242 GT

August 05, 2013 11:36PM
alkun
If you you need to redo your exhaust, this is actually a good deal, easy to install, doesnt rattle, adds a few hp., sounds good, fits, won't make you go deaf/piss off neighbors and cops...

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5608/102804-sport-exhaust-for-non-turbo-models

Yeah it needs an exhaust there isn't one on there at all. And I'll keep the IPD one in mind I knew they made them just never thought about it lol Also any idea as to why they discontinued the sport exhaust for the turbo cars, I know the difference was minimal (piping diameter iirc) but I remember back in the day they had them and the also finished them off with a nice looking tip as well. I've just wondered why they don't do them like that any more.

As far as noise is considered I'm not really worried about it since it wont be driven on a regular basis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 12:33AM by Steve-O.
Steve-O
Steve Janes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'79 Volvo 242 GT

August 17, 2013 03:50PM
Not much of an update but still one none the less. I've finally finished removing all the sound deadening material and have gone through and resprayed the floor pan in primer to cover up all the spots where I went down to bare metal, overall I'm glad this part is over...until I get the trunk cleaned out to where I can do the trunk as well.

I still have to sort the wiring, I was hoping this would've been like a newer 2 series to where the body and engine harness are seperate but they are not, just one more thing for me to do berfore I get the engine swap ready.

You can see some of the junk I still have in the trunk lol

Even removed the material from the quarter, I attemepted to do the doors as well but I scrapped off just as much skin as I did material so I quickly gave up on that one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login