Posted by somepants 
somepants
Jeff McMillen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Subaru RX

Spring Seat Deformation on the Subaru RX
July 16, 2013 03:45PM
Pulled the RX out of storage a couple of days ago. The intention is to get it ready for PFR in October and knowing my predilection for procrastination I thought it best to strike while idle time is available and rain is not looming. I knew the front right sway bar had come loose from the control arm or whatever it attaches to with some bolts and such but when I put the car up on jeck stands and yanked the wheels I noticed moisture around the left rear strut.

As summer is in full swing up here in the PNW, I thought it odd so I pulled it as I have a spare. Indeed the strut had given up all it's gas to the environment so it's now with JvL to be rebuilt.

And in the process of swapping bits I realized the top spring seat was somewhat malformed. Here' an illustrative photo:

On the left you see a shiny new and correctly shaped spring seat. On the right... not so much.

Could have happened last PFR when a large embedded rock got all up in my way and turned a normally round rally wheel (left rear, mind you, same corner) into more of a pretzel shape.

Luckily JvL had a couple of the right spring seats in stock so I am back running and with a spare no less.

Now on to more important things, like figuring out the missing motor mount and a new odo mounting thing and perhaps upgraded lights and some go-fast stripes whatever else I can come up with between now and then.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

Re: Spring Seat Deformation on the Subaru RX
July 16, 2013 04:08PM
The only thing I can think of that would cause that is coil bind. Check to see if there is evidence of contact between all coils of the spring. If so you need better springs. Not longer or different rate, just with less turns per inch.
somepants
Jeff McMillen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Subaru RX

July 16, 2013 04:24PM
Thanks for the tip, Dave.

The springs all around are old and worn and the pretty blue paint is chipping off in many places. Here's a photo of the corner in question BEFORE last year's PFR and the wheel pretzel incident.

You can see what looks like impact marks between the coils and there are indeed lots of coils in a small area. The springs are 200s but the car is pretty light (stock curb weight of 2300lbs) and I don't think more spring load is necessary at the moment when the struts are working correctly.

Also note these JvL boingers are not new. They were created 10-12 years ago so John's done some definite design tweaks from then to now. I've got to get up to the Lynwood pull-a-part and find me some more top mounting plates that can be modified to use his new strut top thingies.

For fun and posterity, here's a couple of photos of the assemblies when they were new and the stock bits they replaced. This is back before green was invented.

Rears:

Fronts:

--Jeff
DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

July 16, 2013 06:24PM
I was having coil bind issues on the first iteration of the BMW rears. Swapped out to a similar rate spring but one with more void space and added in a bumpstop.

Pretty sure JVL is now offering his stuff with springs from a different manufacturer with more void space...but they're red!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 16, 2013 07:29PM
somepants
Thanks for the tip, Dave.

The springs all around are old and worn and the pretty blue paint is chipping off in many places. Here's a photo of the corner in question BEFORE last year's PFR and the wheel pretzel incident.

You can see what looks like impact marks between the coils and there are indeed lots of coils in a small area. The springs are 200s but the car is pretty light (stock curb weight of 2300lbs) and I don't think more spring load is necessary at the moment when the struts are working correctly.

Also note these JvL boingers are not new. They were created 10-12 years ago so John's done some definite design tweaks from then to now. I've got to get up to the Lynwood pull-a-part and find me some more top mounting plates that can be modified to use his new strut top thingies.

For fun and posterity, here's a couple of photos of the assemblies when they were new and the stock bits they replaced. This is back before green was invented.

Rears:

Fronts:

--Jeff

Theyze better than red, they're ORANGE!

Of course the Orange goes better wif the Soooper bitch' GREEN....

And yeah maybe that's whas zup. Could be. I thought I'd checked but it was 10 years ago at least....No problems before the big whack into immovable things

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

July 17, 2013 12:37AM
Hmm, looks like there ought to be enough travel in those springs in that application to avoid coil bind. If a solid rather than split top hat could be used that would be the way to go. Must have just been a hard hit.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 17, 2013 12:47AM
Doivi Clarkinen
Hmm, looks like there ought to be enough travel in those springs in that application to avoid coil bind. If a solid rather than split top hat could be used that would be the way to go. Must have just been a hard hit.

That's what I think. It was a direct exact copy of Ford 909 upper spring seat, and we know how works teams are obsessed with weight... material thickness is a lot less than the ones I use since that first run...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
simoniac
Simon Wright
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

July 17, 2013 09:42AM
john vanlandingham
Theyze better than red, they're ORANGE!

Of course the Orange goes better wif the Soooper bitch' GREEN....

And yeah maybe that's whas zup. Could be. I thought I'd checked but it was 10 years ago at least....No problems before the big whack into immovable things

Purty! Big test at RWV next week!

Simon

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

July 17, 2013 12:11PM
simoniac

Purty! Big test at RWV next week!

Simon

Same color as a set of glowing brake rotors!

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login