Posted by Saabfarm 
Saabfarm
Luke Sørensen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99

Another Satisfied Death Ray Customer
June 26, 2007 01:20PM
Had the opportunity to borrow the Death Ray over the weekend that Mr White has on loan. I can say that this is THE WAY to do it! The 34 year old rubberized tar and goop was no match for 180 liters of LN2 and a hammer. We spent nearly 50 hours on the last car we built with chisels, scapers, kerosene and wire brushes to get the thing clean. 4 easy hours in evening and we had 90% of the car clean down to factory primer when our life juice turned from liquid to gassad smiley It may have been partially nitrogen asphyxiation but we were giggling all night!

- Luke

www.saabrally.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Re: Another Satisfied Death Ray Customer
June 26, 2007 01:50PM
These guys are either really motivated or have waaaay too much free time! Prepping a second shell already. Their current 99 is a work of art, I can only imagine what sort of sick, sick stuff will show up on version 2.0.

Sure wish I listened to JV on the death ray...(whacks self with Kevvie bat).

OK, I should be packing for Baie....

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 26, 2007 02:34PM
Saabfarm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had the opportunity to borrow the Death Ray over
> the weekend that Mr White has on loan. I can say
> that this is THE WAY to do it! The 34 year old
> rubberized tar and goop was no match for 180
> liters of LN2 and a hammer. We spent nearly 50
> hours on the last car we built with chisels,
> scapers, kerosene and wire brushes to get the
> thing clean. 4 easy hours in evening and we had
> 90% of the car clean down to factory primer when
> our life juice turned from liquid to gas It may
> have been partially nitrogen asphyxiation but we
> were giggling all night!

Glad it worked well for you. You know,there's TONS and TONS of things on and about building these Saabs and other cars that also work very well and I do suggest a lot but with the bizarre persistance and repetition of really scandalous and defamatory shit by some of the Saab guys in the NE, about actions and by people that Mike White and Andrew both know all about, it makes me very wary of bothering to make any suggestions on things that really could save time, save money, and which work really good and, as always, be the best bang for the buck.
Nobody does more with less than the stuff I door recommend.

But since these guys and their hangers on started with their shit,and continue making up shit 7-8 year later, I look at the whole NE as nearly a black hole, and SAABs as a good solid competitive cars owned by guys who show no loyalty, and who are not the nice people I knew for 20 years here in Seattle.

So since you're signed up here, if you would like answers for other things, don't be shy, ask away.
Cause it has to be better than the blind leading the blind.

Or reinventing the wheel,and claiming discovery.

>
>
>
>
>
>
> - Luke
>
> www.saabrally.com

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Saabfarm
Luke Sørensen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99

June 26, 2007 03:09PM
Blind leading the blind... very true. I found it amazing 4 years ago when I started building my car how little information was out there given the history these cars have in rally. Look at photos and entry lists from the late 70's and 80's and the events were loaded with these swedish hulks. I pretty much tried what I thought might work and then tried again when it didn't. Tidbits from Mike and a few others who had BTDT along the way gave me some bearing but it was basically much trial and error. I "THINK" I have a half decent formula now and I'm sure you'll laugh when I post my "rally prep guide for the saab 99/900" on my website and say silly boyz don't know anything... But I'm having fun anyway.
Rallyho
Mike White
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900 - aka-The Swedish Rally Tractor

June 26, 2007 04:22PM
Jaaaezus John.

Not allllll of us here in the northeast are Massholes.

Luke, don't be shy.

And in front of all here, (and I've said this to <you> John a couple of times) email SUCKS at getting emotion, pace, dictation across. That being said, John's emails like he talks, but you don't get all the nuances.

Picture the garage chatter/chiding/ball busting that goes on when more than two guys are working on a car. Ok, got it? Now, overlay that ontop of John's post.

This is a decent un-forum to bounce ideas around, just bring your thick(er) skin.

She's screamn' fer eet!
Rallyho
Mike White
http://www.facebook.com/rallyhomotorsports
Saabfarm
Luke Sørensen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99

June 26, 2007 05:15PM
Rallyho Wrote:
>
> Luke, don't be shy.
>

Ha, I'm a Quaker raised scandinavian, reticence and modesty is all I know!

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 26, 2007 05:35PM
Saabfarm Wrote:
> Blind leading the blind... very true. I found it
> amazing 4 years ago when I started building my car
> how little information was out there given the
> history these cars have in rally.

There's tons of information. But too many guys want easy answers and easy costs money and its a rare thing for Saab rally guys to have some dough to just piss away.
And the cliquishness.
A lot of guys would rather hang with their brah's and invent shit them sleves than listen to a foundation of why a part is not suitable and another might be a better, cheaper solution in even the short term.

An example is Maine Summer rally some years ago when Mike W had gotten "help" from the "Crewchief" guy and they had built an exhaust system which lasted what was it Mike? 2 stages before it fell off at the end of the header. Sopoor Mike is in a state cause he was going deaf,and getting gassed to death,soat the service its all assholes and elbows trying desperately to patch something together, "Crewcheif", Anderw and Mike all grovelling under the car,not much I can do---mike didn't listen anyway.

Sos there a boys in another, scroddy 99, the driver some slime-ball Masshole punk and he and his co-driver are fighting with a siezed or stuck self adjust thing on the front caliper. I'm trying to stand clear of the activity of the Mike W crew and these guys are right there so i can't help but see they are fucked up and I suggest that the driver might give some thought to junking those disgusting old seizure prone things and he could get some Toyota pickup Sumitomo 4 piston things at the junk yard i had run into him at,and where we'd talked about rally stuff---I assumed it was a pleasant chat while pulling junk. I think I reminded him that calipers at that yard were about $7.50 each,mentioned we'd done it first maybe in 91,and it was easy and cheap,and the OEM pads worked great.
Good advice and simple.
6-7 years later I see this from those guys on some incestous little maillist:

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:56:23 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: More Scamlandingham

Yes, I was there at service talking to someone else when scam walked up,
barged in on our conversation and proceeded to tell us how to do
everything and that we should give him lots of money for it....I simply
turned around and walked away.

"SS"
PS, He has been running around exhalting the merits of the Ford Merkur
lately and likey scamming those poor enthusiasts.

>> Forest Rally where he tried to talk my ear off about everything I should do
>> to my car during my 20 minute service.
>>
>> -"Ge."

And then there was this in the same thread:

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:23:53 -0500
Subject: Re: ] More Scamlandingham

Ok, now play dumb and try to string him into a Scam. Then expose him. Oh
what fun. He's almost too predictable.

At 12:08 PM 1/25/2005 -0800, John Wirt wrote:

>>Found this on Specialstage.com;
>>
>>Username John Vanlandingham
>>Name John Vanlandingham
>>Gender male
>>City 2007 S.126th ST. Seattle
>>State WA. 98168
>>Country USA
>>Hobby Gravel rally, film, cute friendly wife!
>>Comment
>>Email
>>janvanvurpa@F4.ca
>>direct import for European standard and rally cars
>>parts and accessori
>>
>>Go get him! : )
>>
>>Wait! I have "friends" in Seattle...
>>
>>john

There was more shit at that same place,including utter fantasy fabrications from one Rallyanarchy member, amazing shit really. And that crap from a guy who I have never met, never even seen in person but who was friends (lovers?)with a fuckhead from NYC who passed a check for $1800 on a closed bank account.

I mean it took YEARS to convince Mike to try what HE HAD SEEN WORK with this Liquid nitrogen, and frankly I don't know if its worth getting called a thief and a scammer by assholes when I'm trying to help them, and when people who know all the juicy details sit quietly by and say nothing, just to be on the good side in the little tiny circle-jerk clique.

Look at photos
> and entry lists from the late 70's and 80's and
> the events were loaded with these swedish hulks.

I know. I was in the sport from 1984, helped all the local PNW Saab guys with pistons, rods, gears, LSDs, brakes, exhausts, machine work, fuel injection diddles,
shocks, springs and on and on. Supplied major and critical components in every SAAB which has won a Group 2 National and it was fun.
Until the rise of the Inter-net and particularly the slander and defamation from the reptilian Lamb guy.

>I
> pretty much tried what I thought might work and
> then tried again when it didn't. Tidbits from Mike
> and a few others who had BTDT along the way gave
> me some bearing but it was basically much trial
> and error. I "THINK" I have a half decent formula
> now and I'm sure you'll laugh when I post my
> "rally prep guide for the saab 99/900" on my
> website and say silly boyz don't know anything...
> But I'm having fun anyway.

Hey I don't laugh at folks when they're trying.
And the whole point is to have fun at a reasonable cost, even if that means spending some dough and effort to make something good enough so it doesn't break and waste an entry fee,and transport and motels etc.
There's really no need for trial and error on these cars cause the parts and the processes are well known and established so don't shy away from here, ask you questions and I'll answer here but I won't waste time and effort at the various SAAB sites where everybody is an expert and everybody is a veteran vendor.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 26, 2007 05:53PM
Saabfarm Wrote:
> Rallyho Wrote:
> >
> > Luke, don't be shy.
> >
>
> Ha, I'm a Quaker raised scandinavian, reticence
> and modesty is all I know!
>
Well I'm a Flemo-Hispanique, and raised where passion and love and Comraderie are valued, where honesty is expected and if we exaggerate we say "A million miles an hour" so we all know its crazy stuff, wherelong duration in a sport is admired and even respected and where a man say what he feels and doesn't go whispering around behind backs with PMs and Secret mailing lists.

I too know what its like to live in the quieter Scandinavian world since I did it for 7-8 years and it was there I learned that those quiet Swedes show their love of sport, of each other, in how they give their time and labor to their fellow moto-crossers or enduro mates or rally driver or whatever. Indeed the guys who were so generous and helpful with me, Kaj and the guys at TrendSpeed on Kungsholmstrand in Stockholm did it because they knew me as a serious moto-cross guyand acknowledged that,not because I was a rally customer.
So naturally I combine or overlay those habits of giving and helping with the way I was raised.

That's why its so disappointed, even disgusted to see the slimey under the table antics of so called Saab guys who say shit such as "He doesn't know about this list so we can say anything we want!"

What fucktards.

So you guys need help, or are stuck on some problem and there doesn't seem t be a good answer, ask here.

>
>

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 06:21PM by john vanlandingham.
Pete
Pete Remner
Super Moderator

June 26, 2007 06:18PM
If I'm ever up in your neck of the woods I'm going to buy you a beer or thirty (or just maybe order some struts). If I was encountering that kind of BS from dickholes like that, I'd have left the sport altogether and started doing my own damn thing.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 26, 2007 07:02PM
I have nothing of value to share aside from perhaps mentioning that, since joining this forum, I've found myself telling people I drive a Misterbitchy, looking fondly at old Ovlovs, and refering to this and that as "Sooper Bitchin."

Illegitimus non carborundum, John.

PS - That death ray is the shit.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Saabfarm
Luke Sørensen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99

June 26, 2007 11:14PM
Wow, John although I've heard your name around and I even think one of the people you quoted may have co-driven for me once... I've never heard anything derogatory said about you. You gave me some info on shock valving when I was starting out that was very helpful. I think it was John Groo who was recently telling me that he talked to you out at Oregon and said you had some great advice for his saab build. Anyway, didnt mean to hit a sore spot with the original post, just thought this group might enjoy some pictures of how well the nitrogen works.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 27, 2007 12:35AM
Saabfarm Wrote:
> Wow, John although I've heard your name around and
> I even think one of the people you quoted may have
> co-driven for me once... I've never heard anything
> derogatory said about you. You gave me some info
> on shock valving when I was starting out that was
> very helpful. I think it was John Groo who was
> recently telling me that he talked to you out at
> Oregon and said you had some great advice for his
> saab build. Anyway, didnt mean to hit a sore spot
> with the original post, just thought this group
> might enjoy some pictures of how well the nitrogen
> works.

No don't worry it just that I actually have tried hard to come up with all sorts of parts and techniques that will allow normal guys to have way better stuff than they will otherwise be able to have like the death-rat thing and it just hit me how much people have tried everything to avoid it, tried dry ice, or this or that bu then when I look at you car, it's beautiful, and i though how much I have to fight to get guys to do shit I know works, and which will be cheaper,and stronger,and better.
And how seldom they do without endless fucking wheedling and whining and WHHhhhhyyyyyy? like I'm just guessing at shit, I guess like they're doing.

And that's with friends.
That other stuff, and there's more makes me wary, especially since the assholes are saying "let's scam him and ....."and i know that all the NE Rally Saab guys all know eachother and this is what some of them are writing...

Say Hi to John it was good visiting with him, get him and some of them to get out of the little Saabrally site and come over here and join a larger more like-minded community.

Only problem is here we require names and locations, and won't tolerate defamation,and lies intended to be believed (huge benchracing liesand lies about who is sleeping with who,that's fine).

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

June 27, 2007 08:31AM
I would love to rent the death ray if it is still on the east coast....

I was planning on dropping the motor/tranny and subframe in the next 2 weeks to do the following:

1) replace clutch
2) replace headgasket and do a valve jorb
3) stitch weld the subframe
4) reinfoce the subframe mounting points on the unibody and inside the front wheel wells---these are still covered in the factory slathered rubberish junk

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Rallyho
Mike White
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900 - aka-The Swedish Rally Tractor

June 27, 2007 09:13AM
Ah man! That exhaust fiasco was one of our finest hours. That is the only exh I've ever lost and I can't for the life of me figure out why. It was the same tip-tail MSS exhaust system valve spring mounted to the body and bolted together with weld tabs to allow some movement.

More than likely it was repeated and successive hamfisting on the part of the driver that led to it's demise.

The fairytail ending was that Brett and Andrew were able to find some exh pipe, and a welder, re-build the header collector on back to it exited out the co-drivers side.

Yes it was a little warm in the cabin, and at time smokey. But, we did have a pretty evil sounding exh.

I'm sure I've forgetten all the finer points, but I think that is the year Jerry Sweet rolled his 99, put our spare windshield in, and we finished well...as I remember.

She's screamn' fer eet!
Rallyho
Mike White
http://www.facebook.com/rallyhomotorsports
Saabfarm
Luke Sørensen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99

June 27, 2007 09:13AM
Hey Josh, I've still got the death ray here in PA. I was about to send it back to John but if he dosent mind I'll route it to you first. The only difficult part was haggling with the airgas people to give me a commercial account which took about a week for them to process. Once I had the account setup their customer service was great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login