Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Finally returning to Rallying (Volvo 144S build)

Posted by T.Lamming 
T.Lamming
Tim Lamming
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 Volvo 144S

Finally returning to Rallying (Volvo 144S build)
August 14, 2013 05:49PM
Hi all, after over a decade of being out of the sport, it looks like I will finally be happily sideways again. I picked up a 1970 Volvo 144S a few months ago, whereby I promptly drove it across Canada, competed in a Solo II event, and drove back, (all without a hitch I might add!). Now it's time to sort her out a bit better, freshen up that glorious 2L, and mount and install all the gooodies which have been collecting vast amounts of dust in the cupboard.

Going to keep these pretty basic, just get back out there and have fun again. Going to start off with some of the "spirited" TSD`s out here on the west coast, get to know the car better before jumping into the big pond.

Any insight, suggestions, helpful or sarcastic hints are all appreciated. Also, if anyone is out Vancouver way, let me know, I would enjoy picking a few brains in person.

Pics from the cross Canada trip attached for your viewing pleasure!

70 Volvo 144S

85 Volvo 245 - TSD "rally wagon" -RIP

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 09:08PM by T.Lamming.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
JohnLane
John Lane
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

Re: Finally returning to Rallying
August 14, 2013 07:11PM
Looks like fun!

Flurry of arms steering! Perhaps a steering quickener is in your future....

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

August 14, 2013 08:14PM
Looks like a Ferrolvo(tm)!

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
T.Lamming
Tim Lamming
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 Volvo 144S

August 14, 2013 10:05PM
It's a blast! Yes, the steering is...urhm.."interesting"...but that's what the throttle is for right??

(Yes, I had to get the Moose stickers...couldn't resist)

70 Volvo 144S

T.Lamming
Tim Lamming
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 Volvo 144S

August 21, 2013 09:07PM
Hi John L or John V, what would you suggest as options for suspension for the 144? Bearing in mind this will be a regional car, with a suspension budget of 2k tops.

70 Volvo 144S

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 21, 2013 11:24PM
You have these things called "Shocks".. My old Saab had them too, and very similar in lengths.. Correctly valved MIGHT cost around a hundred each.. Which of course I bitch about--I do make the things, i know what it costs, so i bitch..
Springs, well let me check..

The TENDANCY of absolutely everybody is to go way too stiff on both springs and dampers, and I know way back when---like when the other John was in High School, the guys in Sweden were using several options...Now wehn we used some of the firmer stuff that the same hero guys sold for Opels they were way stiff....

Later I tried soem stuff off of--are ya ready---144 Volvo on a young pup named "Dave Clark" Opel--front onto front and rear onto rear, chopped a bit for OAL.. worked better-er on our "not always first class pool table smooth roads"... Swedish roads really are almost always absolutely nice and smooth (except when they sometimes might connect some roads by cutting right between the trees--seriously---surveyor tape marking the way-

let me make an inquiry to those that really have 140 experience, OK..
I seriously doubt if you can break $1000 on suspension and thats presuming replacing a lotta bushes and ball joints..

Oh, nice compact steering quickeners are under $150....and with all the money I just saved you you really oughtter move that up higher on the Gotta Do list--it is the major drawback of the car--It WILL bite you one day..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
T.Lamming
Tim Lamming
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 Volvo 144S

August 22, 2013 12:09AM
I am not entirely sure what is on this car can actually be called "shocks and springs"... She has more bounce than...

I have been checking out different quickeners (the steering is certainly..well.."interesting" to say the least on this beast) and should have one ordered up in the next couple months, along with a full set of poly all around. Let me know what you find re: springs.

Thanks John, appreciate it.

Tim.

70 Volvo 144S

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login