Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Supra/Celica Differentials - Please Educate!

Posted by RDR 
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

Re: Supra/Celica Differentials - Please Educate!
August 20, 2013 01:25PM
john vanlandingham
Which means we know we can't really go much shorter than 4.3 before 1st gear becomes so short that its useless (you dig holes on starts and go down rather than forward---and the car goes 1-2 car lengths before first is revved out---not a good way to start..

You were there. That was the Sunday course. I'm about three miles away from the turnaround which means about fifteen feet from the starting line. Didn't want to shift up then down then up because my trans shifts like shit so I just kinda soft pedaled it until the turn around, which is a decent chunk of why my times fell so far back.

Now, if you were to compare to the kind of courses we run in Ohio, especially the National Trail site like where we're holding an event this weekend and you'll probably get 900-1000 seconds of run time if you show up, or the "Duel" happening on the 7th because pursuit racing on dirt is AWESOME, our speeds never really go that slow so short gears where you are going between 2nd and 3rd (which are always a lot closer than 1st-2nd) makes more sense.

So, what do you want the car to do? Always the first question to ask yourself before looking for an answer.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 01:34PM by Pete.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

August 20, 2013 01:30PM
Just got back from Holland Auto Parts in Billerica, MA....they have an 87 Supra Automatic with an limited slip in stock. Definitely a limited slip (has the LSD OIL ONLY sticker, and spinning one axle makes the other go the same way), seems to be a 4.10:1 by my imprecise "mark driveshaft with smudge of grease, mark wheel stud, and turn" method.

I started to pull it to flip it here (or put it in my street XR), but I forgot a few mission critical sockets (deep 17mm and 19mm) and there wasn't a way to get to the upper mount nuts with just a wrench. Didn't ask how much they wanted for it.

There was also a 940 turbo sedan there, I need to go back with a better tool selection to try to get its oil filter/cooler mount at some point.

I only saw one Saab in the yard, a NG900 convertible.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
RDR
Jay Anderson
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 Toyota Celica

RDR
August 20, 2013 02:58PM
Pete

You were there. That was the Sunday course. I'm about three miles away from the turnaround which means about fifteen feet from the starting line. Didn't want to shift up then down then up because my trans shifts like shit so I just kinda soft pedaled it until the turn around, which is a decent chunk of why my times fell so far back.

Now, if you were to compare to the kind of courses we run in Ohio, especially the National Trail site like where we're holding an event this weekend and you'll probably get 900-1000 seconds of run time if you show up, or the "Duel" happening on the 7th because pursuit racing on dirt is AWESOME, our speeds never really go that slow so short gears where you are going between 2nd and 3rd (which are always a lot closer than 1st-2nd) makes more sense.

So, what do you want the car to do? Always the first question to ask yourself before looking for an answer.

I don't think you'll see me at OVR events any time soon; too much going on, not enough weekends!

Great point though. I guess the true answer is that I don't know yet. I don't have enough experience to understand what I'll have to deal with eventually on stage. I'll leave the R&P set alone for now. Next step is to figure out whether I actually have an LSD to rebuild or not.

Folks have been happy with welded diffs? The only one I've ever had was on an X-ratty street car, which was maybe less than ideal hot smiley
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 20, 2013 03:08PM
Welded diffs are fine for rally. Open diffs are fine for your first few rallies.
I'd just leave it alone for now and go drive the piss out of it a few times.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login