Posted by Pete 
themadcheshire
Michael Miller
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
94' Nissan Sentra E

Re: Cheap electric power steering?
October 10, 2013 02:13PM
The 1st gens. So 2002-2007. Its just some of them had hydraulic. Depends on what motor it had. The ecotech motors have them. The v6s got the hydraulic systems.

The 2nd gens had electric option but went to a motor on the rack. They are heavy and not the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 02:15PM by themadcheshire.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 10, 2013 04:07PM
Hmm. Three of those in my local wrecking yard...
Seems like an easy way to remove some nose weight and a common fire source? And the thing that always leaks and gets everything dirty.
Thoughts on running a power rack with fluid tube crossover, blocked inlet/outlet, and small amount of fluid for lubrication?

Grant Hughes
themadcheshire
Michael Miller
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
94' Nissan Sentra E

October 10, 2013 04:55PM
I had for years ran a power rack in my talon with the lines looped right at the pinion housing(inlet and outlet ports). When I sold it, I put the power steering back in and it all worked like a charm. Still works 2 years later.

These same columns and "power assist motors" came in all years of cobalts and g6. The 02-07 equinox also had the electric steering like the vue(since the vue is just a rebadged equinox). Goodluck finding one, but a pontiac torrent is another choice.
The 2004 and up Malibus had a slightly different system but still used a power assist motor on the column.
I really have seen no difference as to reliability or noise. They all can fail and all make noise. The malibus tend to have internal issues with the column mounted sensors(not serviceable), but the cobalt and vues have issues with the assist motors taking a crap. I would rather change the assist motor as they are 2 bolts and a connector. They are all noisy after so much abuse.
I have never seen one die from noise related issues though.

The cobalts and g6's will end with a splined end where the "intermediate shaft" would grab on. Everything else has the "double d". Although I'm sure you could weld on whatever end you need.

The column will had the PSCM(Power Steering Control Module) on it and have 3 connectors coming out. Be sure to snag the pigtails.

If you decide to do this, let me know and I'll get you the diagrams for the connectors so you know what goes where and where goes what.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 04:56PM by themadcheshire.
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

October 10, 2013 08:37PM
themadcheshire
The 1st gens. So 2002-2007. Its just some of them had hydraulic. Depends on what motor it had. The ecotech motors have them. The v6s got the hydraulic systems.

The Honda V6 models had the electric column too. Makes it a ton easier to work on the engine compared to when it's mounted in a Honda. I'm also fairly sure that the early 4-cylinder models had hydraulic steering, but maybe I'm thinking of the L100/L200 so I'm only fairly sure. The VUE was new when I left Saturn.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 08:38PM by Pete.
themadcheshire
Michael Miller
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
94' Nissan Sentra E

October 10, 2013 09:14PM
Pete
themadcheshire

The Honda V6 models had the electric column too. Makes it a ton easier to work on the engine compared to when it's mounted in a Honda. I'm also fairly sure that the early 4-cylinder models had hydraulic steering, but maybe I'm thinking of the L100/L200 so I'm only fairly sure. The VUE was new when I left Saturn.

Do they too? It's been so long since one of this terrible cars has graced my presence for steering work. I seem to recall some equinox's having hydraulic steering. Maybe I'm thinking of the 3.4.
Well, if they do then more selections!
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

October 11, 2013 06:05AM
I don't know, I've never seen an Equinox in the flesh, but do see lots of VUEs ironically enough. Fortunately none of them with the GM/Opel/SAAB/??? V6.

I wonder a lot about regionality sometimes. Like, around here there are a ton of VUEs and Panameras. I hardly ever see VUEs or Panameras anywhere I travel to. But in other places there's weird things that I never see around here. (Did you know that Nissan and Toyota make pickup trucks?) The weirdest thing is the sheer number of 70s Mercedes and RX-8s that I saw in Missouri last weekend.

But back to regionality - maybe in some areas there's a dealership or two that is doing extremely well for whatever reason so they sell a lot of that make. Around here there's a Nissan dealer that is very, very busy. Result - a lot of late model Altimas and Sentras and Rogues on the road, out of proportion to what you'd expect. Maybe some of the people who bought Rogues would have bought an Equinox if the Nissan dealer wasn't such a deal-makin' fool?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 06:10AM by Pete.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

October 15, 2013 10:52AM
stumbled across an EPAS article on my favorite "magazine-that-GRM-should-emulate":
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111532/article.html

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
mulik52
Klim Verba
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90Q 20V n/a

October 27, 2013 08:17PM
This is thrilling! After looking around the net, it seems there is quite a decent amount of info on this from people converting older muscle cars. And junkyards in the area have quite a bit of saturn vues...hmm...maybe getting rid of the stupid audi power steering system is not out of the question!

Klim
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 27, 2013 08:35PM
mulik52
This is thrilling! After looking around the net, it seems there is quite a decent amount of info on this from people converting older muscle cars. And junkyards in the area have quite a bit of saturn vues...hmm...maybe getting rid of the stupid audi power steering system is not out of the question!

Klim

Are you a skilled fabricator? And a skilled troubleshooter?

Fixing leaks is usually easier than hacking and sawing and installing alternate systems

Mission creep..KISS

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mulik52
Klim Verba
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90Q 20V n/a

October 27, 2013 08:43PM
Hey, I mounted the mud flaps all by myself!winking smiley
john vanlandingham
mulik52

Klim

Are you a skilled fabricator? And a skilled troubleshooter?

Fixing leaks is usually easier than hacking and sawing and installing alternate systems

Mission creep..KISS
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

October 27, 2013 08:54PM
My experience with the Audi P/S suggests to install the power column in conjunction with, not instead of, the hydraulic mess.

Or at least do something about the really long inlet hose to the pump that terminates with a banjo fitting. Like maybe replace the banjo with a straight metric-to-AN fitting and run -12 line to the pump from the reservoir.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login