Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Lets see how much flack I can crank up with this, now with 50% more cylinders!!!

Posted by mellow65 
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

john vanlandingham
Eric Ewert
Soooo.. downdraft carb or throttle body setup???

Yeah this is all about cheap power so a couple of 48 IDAs or IDA style ITBs that'll be nice and cheap only $3000-4000..

I was thinking something along the lines of hacking up motocycle itb's, not an off the shelf sorta setup. Would be cool to see if you could do it on a shoestring budget. Regardless quite interested to see how this progresses!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Creech
Scott Creech
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

Re: Lets see how much flack I can crank up with this, now with 50% more cylinders!!!
October 28, 2013 11:25AM
aj_johnson
It will sound much better than a rotary anyway.

Well, quieter, anyway... Even if it has Open Pipes!

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 11:27AM by Creech.
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Daihatsu Charade GTti DOHC Turbo, and Mazda MX-5(miata) Turbo(bent)

Re: Lets see how much flack I can crank up with this, now with 50% more cylinders!!!
October 28, 2013 05:11PM
Eric Ewert

I was thinking something along the lines of hacking up motocycle itb's, not an off the shelf sorta setup. Would be cool to see if you could do it on a shoestring budget. Regardless quite interested to see how this progresses!

Have a read through the thread I posted, shows how he dealt with overheating at sustained high RPM, and it was running a Megasquirt ECU with ITB. Doesn't get much cheaper.

As for noise..... this one did sound pretty nice... and loud!
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

October 28, 2013 07:51PM
aj_johnson

That's physically impossible since nothing sounds better than a rotary.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 28, 2013 08:06PM
Just to argue...(it is Rally Arguementative after all)... Noting sounds better than a rotary, EXCEPT a 5cyl turboed Audi on song , or an alkie small block chebbie at 8000 rpm. The only time a Sube sounds good is when the wrecker tows it off.
Pete
aj_johnson

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

What's to argue.

Subies 6 is neither a powerhouse or strong.

Big motors are long ago passé.

If a person can't beat little 1.6 n.a. motors or 1.7 push-rod mortors with 2 or 2.2 or heaven forfend 2.5 liter going to a lot of effort and sheer craziness to cram this thing in ain't going to make a difference, and if it doesn't make a dfifference, why bother?
It's been done, Chris Caylor out here and whissis duff Ondre, Andriez or whatever Goreen out in the humid swaps of the Carolinas..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

October 28, 2013 08:29PM
No way!!! A honduh with a fart can and an automatic trumps all those!!!

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

October 28, 2013 08:48PM
I don't know, everyone that I have ever talked to has liked the flat six. Is it some monster power house, nah, but the car still weights jack shit. But for the increase of all of less then a hundred pounds you get an extra hundred horse power and, well lets be honest, a rather sexy sound. winking smiley

And It's really no effort at, every thing is set up for a subaru anyways. And why bother, shit john if have to ask why i do retarded things with rx7s, you haven't been around very long. I do them because I wonder if I can, no other reason. grinning smiley

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

October 29, 2013 01:08AM
heymagic
Just to argue...(it is Rally Arguementative after all)... Noting sounds better than a rotary, EXCEPT a 5cyl turboed Audi on song , or an alkie small block chebbie at 8000 rpm. The only time a Sube sounds good is when the wrecker tows it off.
Pete
aj_johnson

I will say that the red bull rx7 does sing to me, but too often they sound poorly done. and the audi.... enough said.

But Chris Caylors legacy does sound awesome.

?t=1m3s
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 29, 2013 01:58AM
John forgets the old adage..there is no replacement for displacement..and it is pretty much true.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

Interesting, in this thread is a photo of a transmission mount I made for a 5-speed SVX conversion I did for a customer. A photo I took, btw:
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

heymagic
John forgets the old adage..there is no replacement for displacement..and it is pretty much true.

Except you forget what the young guy Brendon Reeves just did again at Lac Superior.... Beat all but 2-3 OBC (obscene budget cars) with
a

Little Golf sized car
with
a
little

ONE

point

SIX liter

engine.

The replacement for displacement in OUR sport is:

gearing,

or boost and gearing..

And

SKILL

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 29, 2013 10:27AM
I forget nothing, Brendan drove that car from the Budget Rental kiosk straight to the rally! No wait, that is a professionally built R2 that has 19 events and is for sale at the bargain price of $50K . Gearing is an aid, if you have enough power you don't need gearing. Boost is an aid, if you have enough power you don't need boost. A modern V6 will hit the 300 hp mark with little or no mods from the dealership floor. The weight is insignificant in the real world.

Did you forget that the big 6 BMW has certainly proven rally worthy, or that Chris Caylors Sube has done very well for a new venture? More than one way to skin a cat.

Personally I can't wait until Matt makes a trip to Wright Bros Surplus surplus and comes back with one of these http://www.gizmag.com/hf-120-ge-honda-aero-engines/29528/
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

October 29, 2013 10:27AM
If you need any tips on the EG33 engine, ask away. I've had the heads on my flowbench and we built one for NASA road racing that made 352 whp in a 2.5 RS chassis (AWD).

They like exhaust flow. A LOT. The heads have restrictive exhaust ports and small exhaust cams. Equal length headers and a single large exhaust really wakes it up.

They have cooling issues, but primarily at higher rpms. Keep it below 6500 and all is well. We were twisting 8200 rpms with some big-lift welded cams. The heads LOVE high valve lift. Just increasing the lift to .450" gained 40 cfm (@ 10"winking smiley of airflow on the intake ports. But we had to grind the underside of the cam covers to clear the lobes, LOL.....

Opel is a 4-letter word...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10498579@N07/sets/
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

October 29, 2013 12:15PM
Snails, hair dryers!!! Who has the money for stuff like that. And lets be frank here, am I a Brendon Reeves, nope, am I cody crane, nada, burress brother, wrong again. My names Matt, I ran the center of pack occasionally knocking on the door of the top 10. I don't want the stress of beating all the way quick guys, are you kidding me, who needs that shit. I enjoy the middle of the pack, and really that's where I like to be. Maybe over time I might gain some more skills and move up a tad, but shit you got to start somewhere. I can't be at the head of the pack to start with, come on john, that's flat brimmed hat thinking. And I still always laugh when you get so flustered about stuff I build in my garage. This car is a staple of shit you have been standing on your soap box boasting to the anyone that will listen for years. Cheap and easy. I took that philosophy to heart and ran with it.

And Gene, you know if I could fuck it up some how I would. Think I could shove me a subaru motor in it. winking smiley

And Bob, yes I have all sorts of questions, but I'll shoot you a PM and ask them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login