Posted by Dante 
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

Re: MK3 Jetta REBUILD
November 07, 2013 11:03PM
The car had a vr swapped into it, it was originally a P class ABA. So all the stuff (knuckles, driveshafts, control arms) should be of the 4 bolt/banger variety. I doubt the PO would have put the time into doing a 4 bolt swap when it already had suspension fitted that kinda worked. If I remember right, he just swaped the motor, trans, and driveshafts. That being said, your front springs probably aren't heavy enough for that motor.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
danster
Haggis Muncher
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

November 09, 2013 01:54PM
^^^ Well if that is the case then it may be worth Dante keeping an eye out for a mk3 Golf GTI / VR 5 stud setup in the wrecker's yards.
This would offer, stronger wishbones, better knuckle geometry, bigger brakes (280mm early or 288mm late), stronger outer CVs (NB need shafts from donor car too as they are different lengths from the 4 stud ones).
And this would retain the existing struts.
Yep, it means a wheel change and 15 inch rims but I'm pretty sure you can pick up a set of rims for less than the cost, disappointment and hassle of one single DNF.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Dante
Allan Dantes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

November 09, 2013 05:38PM
Yes Sir! I am on the lookout for this stuff. May end up just buying whole beater cars and pillaging. The UP is pretty bleak on non Ford or GM autos

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

November 10, 2013 08:16PM
Carl S
wvonkessler
You can get a short rack from quaife so don't fuck around with a quickener.

Quaife rack is manual and 2.9 turns lock to lock for $300. Stock power rack is 3.1 lock to lock. Barely any difference. Add a 1:1.5 quickener (~$100) to a power rack and get about 2 turns lock to lock with a little bit of cutting and welding. Plus I don't think the quaife rack works in a mk3, anyways.

I've seen 2.7 and 2.4 racks out there for 'dubs - keep looking.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
DexterVW
David Baker
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

November 11, 2013 12:39PM
I just swapped over to a 5x100 setup (VR stuff) on my TDI rally car build, what a difference... bigger brakes (came with a willwood 4 pot and 11.3" rotors) and the control arms are way beefier.. a huge improvement in my eyes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login