Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Welding to cast iron on regular jack stands for pin mount.

Posted by czwalga 
starion887
starion887
Mega Moderator

Re: Welding to cast iron on regular jack stands for pin mount.
November 25, 2013 09:10PM
So are the pins attached to the tops of the stands? How far into the body do they go, and is there just the heavy outer plate on the body through which the pins are inserted, or do they go through a 2nd inner plate too?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 25, 2013 10:06PM
starion887
So are the pins attached to the tops of the stands? How far into the body do they go, and is there just the heavy outer plate on the body through which the pins are inserted, or do they go through a 2nd inner plate too?

When I's dood 'em I run the tube they poke into all the way thru the sill/rocker and did a spreader where they poked thru..and capped them of course so about yay long thru the sill.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

November 26, 2013 06:40AM
starion887

The pins are 7.5" long including the part that sits on top of the jack stand. They go the entire way through the sill and there's a plate on the inside which the DOM is welded to there as well.

In the front there's a bigger piece of steel inside that it goes through that I welded it too as well, so there's really 3 plates in the front. The rears didn't have anything like that so its just the inner and outer.

The pins are welded to the top of the stands. However I put the weight of the car on the pins and stands before I tacked it. So all the weld is really doing is holding the pin in its proper place. Its not a weld that is necessary to hold up the car if they fail.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2013 06:47AM by czwalga.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

November 26, 2013 06:45AM
double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2013 06:47AM by czwalga.
starion887
starion887
Mega Moderator

November 26, 2013 09:08AM
OK, good, that answered the question. The multiple support points of the pin's tube in the car takes all of the torque on the pins and off of the stand top welds. That was the question; looks good! Can't think of why they would not hold for a lifetime!
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

November 26, 2013 11:26AM
starion887
OK, good, that answered the question. The multiple support points of the pin's tube in the car takes all of the torque on the pins and off of the stand top welds. That was the question; looks good! Can't think of why they would not hold for a lifetime!

Yeah it should be good. I like the idea of adjustability, I can get the car pretty high since they are 24" stands which is nice for washing the underside.

The cool thing I like is really you can just jack the car up a little slide the stands in and if you want to keep going higher the stands adjust themselves.
starion887
starion887
Mega Moderator

November 27, 2013 11:22AM
And as with all car supports, we hope that 'last for a lifetime' means for your natural lifetime....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login