Posted by cmm7v3 
cmm7v3
Chris Martise
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Impreza wagon

Another Subaru wagon rally car
December 23, 2013 01:57PM
I started this build last year and forgot to start a thread here because well I forgot I had an account here.
The car started life as a some one's beat daily driver that had been impounded and auctioned off. I drove from St. Louis to KC to buy in from one of those hole in the wall shady lots that gives you chills walking onto the lot. Driving it back I realized how neglected it was from the previous owners and thought to myself that wow just over a grand was way to much for this car.

Here is a list of issues with the car I discovered while driving back:
1. Brakes were beyond shot. Felt like it took a full city block to come to a stop.
2. Left front axle was bad, and by bad I mean really bad. When I got it on stands and pulled the roll pin to remove it the cv fell apart on its own with the end seized in the hub.
3. Windshield pipers didn't work and we were 20 miles out of KC when it started raining.
4. Non existent shifter bushings, it was like stirring pudding with rocks in it to find a gear.
5. Random missing fuses so half the interior electronics didn't work.

Once the car had the above issues fixed the build finally started. Right now the car consists of the cage done by Izzy's Custom Cages in St. Louis, BiMarco and Sparco seats, Ultrashield belts, stock 2.2 engine, stock diff and trans, 02 WRX brakes, and AWD suspension (waiting on a set of JVABs). So far the car has ran 100AW and Perryville regional rallies.

Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Another Subaru wagon rally car
December 23, 2013 02:34PM
Er um welcome and read the READ THIS EIRST NOOB thing at the top---then go add full real name, real city and state location..
WE have this thing about speaking to peoples and names help, OK?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Creech
Scott Creech
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

December 23, 2013 03:43PM
I 'member that'n. We were in the blue Veloster, workin' Medical for 100AW, and again Start "A" at PF&F. I was the ignert doofus starting for SS1 @PF&F that sent the 1st car off early...

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
cmm7v3
Chris Martise
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Impreza wagon

February 11, 2014 08:52PM
Got to love when parts show up for the next rally. Thanks to John I have a set of JVAB coilovers to play with at 100AW in 10 days. Right side is on the car, left will go on tomorrow, also will need to raise the ride height on the right front.

ryolse
Ryan Sealey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'97 Subaru Impreza

February 25, 2014 12:09PM
Hmmm... what springs do you have on there and what made you change them out? I ask because I also have a GF with JVABs stuff.

R.Sealey
http://www.facebook.com/SealeySport
http://www.youtube.com/ryolse
cmm7v3
Chris Martise
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Impreza wagon

February 25, 2014 12:29PM
I bought a set of awd coilovers as a precaution if the jvab ones weren't done in time. But john got them to me 2 weeks before so now I'm ready to sell the awd ones. I will post up some pictures and a review of the weekend tonight when I get home.
ryolse
Ryan Sealey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'97 Subaru Impreza

February 25, 2014 02:46PM
How have you liked them overall and what have you been using them for? I swap mine on for Hill Climbs and they can often be overly stiff at speeds less than 30, but very stable during speeds higher than 30. I also need to get helper springs because the height they are at causes the springs to get stuck on the sleeve when they are unsprung.

R.Sealey
http://www.facebook.com/SealeySport
http://www.youtube.com/ryolse
cmm7v3
Chris Martise
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Impreza wagon

February 25, 2014 06:55PM
They felt really nice on stage this last weekend. I will also need to run helper springs as I cant get the rear low enough with the shocks extending past the springs in their normal state.

The rally for us went as smooth as it could have. I started the weekend off by stopping by James Bass's motel on the way to breakfast when I saw him with his hood up in the parking lot. He explained how the turbo shaft seals let go and puked oil into the down pipe. We came up with a plan to gut the turbo and make a block off plate and just use the hot side housing to connect the header and down pipe. As James and a crew member went to Rolla to pick up supplies to fix it, I stayed behind with John his codriver and we started pulling apart the engine bay. They made it back from Rolla in time and we reassembled the car and made it into Steeleville for parc expose.

Once the rally started, our car felt good and was handling very well on the new coilovers, such a huge difference compared to the stock stuff we ran last year. Lift off over steer and better rotation through the corners. At the super special though some driver error caused us to loose 5 places going into the night stages. Leaving service a group of around 10 cars misread the route book and caused us to be 5-11 min late into stage 5. As a result we were pushing hard and had a small moment and had a small off loosing some time, but we still managed to make up 2 spots we lost on 3. On stage 6 we pushed even harder, spinning on a fast R5 tightens to R4. We gathered it up and kept pushing until we saw James's car in the trees brake lights pointing skyward. After that it was hard getting back into the groove of things especially considering my codriver lost his place in the notes after the accident. We managed to get the car home to finish the night, but we could feel a lack of power compared to the beginning of the day.

Saturday started off rough as we had to take the slowest time from the finishing cars, as the group we were in missed stages 9 and 10 because of a non rally crash on the roads which blocked the route to stages and stole the ambulances from the stages. After 2 hours in service we got to start the day finally. We pushed through the day making up time, but then making small mistakes trying to push the car to see were the limit was, and missing a note and almost going through a spectator point. One the second to last stage of the night we were catching the tails of the car in front of us and I became focused on them and missed the note for a drop into R2 and went wide and nailed a huge rock crushing our exhaust robbing us of more power. We made it through 17 and back into Salem to finish the night 13th in regional and 26th combined days. It wasn't a bad finish, but I'm positive the car is capable of more than what we had shown this weekend.

Now for the random pics I have been able to find from facebook.

jbass
James Bass
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

February 25, 2014 07:11PM
Chris is a boss, and a hoss. That's all I gotta say. smileys with beer
cmm7v3
Chris Martise
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Impreza wagon

February 25, 2014 07:21PM
James, I think we should get a fox body and put your drive train in it. Make a custom diff housing to keep the independent rear. Should be able to keep you jvabs then.
si
John Farnsworth
Elite Moderator

si
February 26, 2014 09:12AM
jbass
Chris is a boss, and a hoss. That's all I gotta say. smileys with beer

Seconded, look forward to chasing you in the future.

I wonder if we'll get a speed factor out of this event.
cmm7v3
Chris Martise
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Impreza wagon

February 26, 2014 09:35AM
We didn't receive one. Its still the same crappy 11.02 from last years 6+ inchs of sleet.
si
John Farnsworth
Elite Moderator

si
February 26, 2014 09:44AM
cmm7v3
We didn't receive one. Its still the same crappy 11.02 from last years 6+ inchs of sleet.

You will for sure (by the rules) - but I'm sure they haven't actually adjusted them yet. I don't know how far you have to go to get one, wondering if they will give us one from the 5 stages we finished, or give us another one because we wrecked.
cmm7v3
Chris Martise
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Impreza wagon

February 26, 2014 09:55AM
Guess Ill just have to wait and see then. Still soar from the wreck? I have already been looking for other possible cars for Bass lol have to get another car to Izzy quick so you guys can make perryville.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

February 26, 2014 10:33AM
You got one.

100 Acre Wood Rally 2013-02-22 11.02
100 Acre Wood 2014-02-21 22.51
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login