Posted by crankshaft 
crankshaft
Aaron Gibson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Cars are lame, I have a motorcycle

Sprint car chassis, mated to euro trash power plant-hillclimber
December 27, 2013 06:11PM
Been trying to think of ways to get to the starting line of the Mt Washington Hillclimb on the cheap(ish). Caging a car seems like a big pain in the ass, so I've been online looking at Sprint car rollers for sale. They're fairly simple, crud even and realtively cheap on the used market. I have an Audi 1.8T power plant and driveline on my radar and even found a bellhousing adaptor to mate a T5 gear box to a VAG product. Obviously, RWD.

The 360 ci engines are good for..300-500 hp running on methanol and the rules I'm reading states that the complete race car with driver, less fuel needs to be 1370#'s. That's really light! If I added a 1.8t that is boosted to 250hp, it could be a very fun hillclimber.

The whole thing is crazy, I know but just trying to come up with a solution to my urge to race. Thoughts?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

Re: Sprint car chassis, mated to euro trash power plant-hillclimber
December 28, 2013 01:15AM
do sprinters have suspension, or rely solely on the chassis like my kart?
danster
Haggis Muncher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

December 28, 2013 06:52AM
crankshaft
"Caging a car seems like a big pain in the ass"

Ain't that the truth.
eye rolling smiley Hmm, I wonder if that line would be enough to get a car through tech / scrutineering.....
"Hi Mr Scrutineer, you may not dig this but I'm a biker and live my life without the need for superfluous safety shit, and seeing as caging a car seems like a big pain in the ass I am just going to drive without one mkay".

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
crankshaft
Aaron Gibson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 28, 2013 10:05AM
danster
crankshaft
"Caging a car seems like a big pain in the ass"

Ain't that the truth.
eye rolling smiley Hmm, I wonder if that line would be enough to get a car through tech / scrutineering.....
"Hi Mr Scrutineer, you may not dig this but I'm a biker and live my life without the need for superfluous safety shit, and seeing as caging a car seems like a big pain in the ass I am just going to drive without one mkay".

Wow, you totally misunderstood what I was saying and you're a dink I guess.
crankshaft
Aaron Gibson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 28, 2013 10:10AM
Paddy1337
do sprinters have suspension, or rely solely on the chassis like my kart?

Here is a shot of the rear suspension, looks like a 4 link and I think they refer to them as a "live axle"..I think. Simple, adjustable and the AFCO stuff is cheap.

Front end....

The latest rage is to make them street legal, which is cool. Possible Rally solo car?
If you look closely, you'll see it has a cage smeared all over it hahaha
crankshaft
Aaron Gibson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 28, 2013 10:21AM
I watched this and it helped me understand what is going on inside these beasts...

Found a trans adapter for a VAG powerplant that would allow me to use a T5 transmission. APR has a "chip" for the stock ECU that will eliminate the immobilizer and need for the cluster. Set of injectors and a K04 turbo and I'm in the 300HP range.
Spoke with one of the RA guys yesterday and they thought it would be fine for the hillclimb classes.

OR.... I could just write a check for a caged Subaru and blend in. Nah
danster
Haggis Muncher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

December 28, 2013 11:22AM
crankshaft

I think I understood fine, it was more my lacklustre attempt to sarcastically diss the rule makers that seems to have been misinterpreted. winking smiley
In the UK imo there have been several recent rule changes to rallying that seem to lack objectivity. EG> Some seats are now no good for rally, yet fine for use in circuit racing and sprints and hillclimbs. Fireproof helmets now needed instead of fire retardant, yet no rule requiring the mandatory removal of plastic dash parts that burn...
It all just adds to the overall cost of competing in rally when other similar motorsports disciplines do not need such financial commitment.

What's a dink?

crankshaft
Aaron Gibson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 28, 2013 12:19PM
danster
crankshaft

I think I understood fine, it was more my lacklustre attempt to sarcastically diss the rule makers that seems to have been misinterpreted. winking smiley
In the UK imo there have been several recent rule changes to rallying that seem to lack objectivity. EG> Some seats are now no good for rally, yet fine for use in circuit racing and sprints and hillclimbs. Fireproof helmets now needed instead of fire retardant, yet no rule requiring the mandatory removal of plastic dash parts that burn...
It all just adds to the overall cost of competing in rally when other similar motorsports disciplines do not need such financial commitment.

What's a dink?

hahaha, foot meet mouth! You Brits always throw me online, which is sad because I do the same thing. I agree 100%, I see it all the time in the construction industry. Codes are a funny thing and interpretation is a problem. Dink- Dual income, no kids....
danster
Haggis Muncher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

December 28, 2013 12:32PM
Ha ha right back, I really need to work on my persona if I come across as dual income no kids! eye popping smiley
Now if you'd said drinks income no kids then that would be closer.

Back on topic over here in sprinting and hillclimbing there is a class called sports libre where a lot of crazy contraptions compete.
Checkout this vid for the "how to beat turbo lag" tip. lol

EDIT, better vid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 12:51PM by danster.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 28, 2013 01:02PM
danster

What's a dink?

a knob, an oaf, a git, a chav, a plonker, a yob, a wanker...

but it least it ain't a dork.

Don't worry, its just the ol' "Two great nations separated by a common language" thing

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 28, 2013 08:26PM
Link to the bell housing adapter?
I'd get in touch with Todd Cook at TCE in az. Successful sprint car hill climber.

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 28, 2013 08:27PM
Personally I'd find a 92-95 BMW 325 and build it for mt Washington and Chumpcar.

Grant Hughes
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Professional Moderator

December 29, 2013 01:21AM
There probably isn't enough room to fit a t5 between the engine and the rear center section. The driveline is really short on sprint cars. To address an earlier post: The rear end is a center section (fully locked) with two large axles coming out the side. The large axles (3in) spin through the outboard bearing assembly called a "bird cage".

Sprint cars are super adjustable as far as suspension goes. This also means that they can be adjusted very poorly, very quickly. Car setup would be key on one of these cars. Also, most sprint stuff is super light and easy to mangle/bend. Most guys that race seriously have complete front ends they can swap out in a few minutes if they get tangled in a race, and if there just so happens to be a restart.

Sprint cars are awesome, and this could be a lot of fun. There are a few rounds round guys on this forum that can possibly help you with questions.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 29, 2013 11:52AM
Here's Todd's onboard from Mt Washington

After lots of hill climbing, the way to drive a sprint car is to charge the straights, try and get through the corner without spinning, then floor it through the straights again.
I think a decent hill climb Sprint car around here goes for $15-20k for any I've seen for sale.

A BMW Chumpcar can be built for under $10k. It wouldn't be a winning car but you could have fun with it and be able to take it out to track days and races. Build it right and you can do rallies in it also.

Caging a car is much easier than a Sprint car that has to have every mount in precisely the right spot if you want the geometry correct.

You're picture looks more like what we call Champ class or I call them stupid upright things. Basically a drag race in straights and slowly through corner trying not to loop it. Shit, I just described the same thing twice...

Grant Hughes
crankshaft
Aaron Gibson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 29, 2013 01:14PM
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. I do under stand the limitations and I understand that I'm ramming a round peg in a square hole but I always do things like that hahaha. I found some older dirt track chassis that are longer, like this style....
http://www.babineaumetalworks.com/Projects_2.html
The guy is a crazy craftsman, way over the top for me obviuosly.

The idea of a tube frame is cool to me, easy to work on and cleaner. Here is some video from Mt Washington of my buddy Paul....

I've driven the Super chicken a few times and I've actually helped him over the years work on it and crew at times. It's actually my footagethumbs up smiley
Anyway, to keep it simpler-ish... Welded diff in stock quattro trans, stock rear diff from an A4 with a shortened driveshaft. A local truck place builds them quick actually.
I could buy a caged car today if I wanted to but I think a custom buggy would be more fun. Maybe I'm just an idiot?

Here is another tube frame car owned by Gerry Driscoll, a local hillclimber folk hero. As I recall, he held the fastest trap speed at the straight away. He may still have it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login