Posted by BlackWidow 
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

Gas tank
January 07, 2014 02:31PM
$$$$$ sad smiley . I feel deflated about my build some times. I dont have an original gas tank for my Datsun. And the prospect of spending the money on a fuel cell makes me a bit unhappy. Why can one use a OEM fuel tank but not one of the many alum. or steel tanks in the stock location? I have an Alu. RCI tank in the exact loacation as the stock tank. Its plumbed good, Doesnt leak and is pleanty strong. Why cant I use this? Its furstrating seeing the cost of some of the parts I have to purchase. I know I could NOT RALLY but then if everyone took that stance there would be no Rally. I am just curious as to why its Either OEM or Fuel Cell.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 05:37PM by BlackWidow.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Gas tank
January 07, 2014 02:55PM
becuz

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

January 07, 2014 04:37PM
LOL thanks John. I still need to call you again and get some more info on the toyota diff. Have a great day.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

January 07, 2014 05:00PM
Who is inspecting your gas tank? Who is going to be knowledgeable enough to know it isn't oem. I've yet to have my fuel cell in the celica checked for FIA certification even though it is.
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle (Historic)

January 08, 2014 09:02AM
czwalga
Who is inspecting your gas tank? Who is going to be knowledgeable enough to know it isn't oem. I've yet to have my fuel cell in the celica checked for FIA certification even though it is.

Yeah, I could have save hundreds if I had just purchased the red FIA can and a cheap plastic drop in cell. No one, not even the damn FIA techs at Mexico, asked for FIA papers.

http://www.huebberally.com
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

January 08, 2014 01:17PM
LMAO, I bet they will be asking now.
starion887
starion887
Elite Moderator

January 09, 2014 12:05PM
^^^ LOL.....

Any reason to not put in a stock tank? Too costly? OEM tanks have been proven to be pretty durable in rally use, and the bladder cells certainly are a known proven quantity. A straight AL tank can be problematic as AL is not as good with flexing and resisting fatigue cracks as steel. An AL tank with a bladder would be OK, but what cost advanatage would there be?

The straight plastic tanks don't carry any approvals that I know of. You can get JAZ Pro Sport cells SFI certifed for an extra $50 to JAZ. These have the poly cell inside of a steel case. That would put the cost at approx $280 for 12 gal and $380 for 16 gal. It saves some but not a ton.

But, we need to have SFI 28.1 standard adopted to use them. I don't see a good reason to not do that.

And as to why have an approval? Making a field judgement on cages is something we do all the time; cages designs and meterials performance are well established and pretty inspectable. Fuel cells themselves are not, and their actual performance is highly dependent on materials. No one can field test materials as part of tech; so it is kinda like helmets and belts and such. And if you don't have some standard, then the next thing is that folks will show up with god-knows-what fuel cells made in China. I keep an eye on the seats and I shudder to imagine what the cheap Chinese race seat knocks-offs are made of; non-certified fuel cells would be the same.

And as for inspections of fuel cells or not, those who have FIA fuel cells get them inspected, only you don't see it perhaps.....the bladder-in-a-red-steel-can with a certain mfr's label tells you most everything you need to know....so a quick glance tells the story.

Mark B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 12:07PM by starion887.
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

January 09, 2014 02:05PM
So who is the best person to contact at NASA and RA to get the SFI tanks approved? Has this been asked for in the past?

As for the OEM fuel tank. Very very difficult to find (although i found one on ebay for 150.00 which is not common). In my case the 1.5 inch tube is now welded between the rear shock towers would have to be removed to fit a stock tank. The Stock tank would have to have a return line added to it (Is that leagal with in the rules ?) because I have a KA24E fuel injected engine.

Can a stock fuel tank be modified ? If it can how much modification can be done ? IE streched and shortened (to fit under the 1.5 inch tube )
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

January 09, 2014 02:30PM
You could run your return into the filler neck, that isn't technically the tank....
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

January 09, 2014 02:49PM
I think i found a good solution the ATL saver cell. ATL SA112. I can build the container myself and add the FIA sticker to that.
starion887
starion887
Elite Moderator

January 09, 2014 05:21PM
Good deal; glad you found something. Hoche (the SRDC), Gene M, and myself are NRS techie guys; I know I will speak to Anders about the SFI 28.1 standard. It makes sense to me. But I'll also do some more research to make sure it is appropriate. Any commnets appreciated. Mark B.
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

January 09, 2014 06:33PM
The "well cell" also looks like a good idea for the cars that it will fit.

http://pitstopusa.com/i-13859655-atl-well-cell-fuel-cell-8-gallon.html
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

January 09, 2014 07:27PM
I think that most stock tanks are in a better location that the spare tire well in case of the spin off the road and back into a tree. I know I wouldn't want 6 gallons of fuel erupting from the cell.
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

January 09, 2014 09:36PM
One of the reason i love the bar between the shock towers in the Datsun and the tank i currently have is that it provides so much protection for the tank. With out the bar and the stock tank i still think there is better protection then using the well. Anyway i still am curious to see if a SFI tank could be used.
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

January 10, 2014 02:00AM
phlat65
I think that most stock tanks are in a better location that the spare tire well in case of the spin off the road and back into a tree. I know I wouldn't want 6 gallons of fuel erupting from the cell.

True moving it inside does cause some problems. The fuel tank position on the mk2 golf sucks. If you want to reinforce the beam to keep it somewhat durable, the stock tank is in the way.
The tank in the well with a nice cover would not seem any less dangerous to me then a stock tank next to a hot exhaust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login