Posted by Paddy1337 
unfast
Chris Clark
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Yeah right

Re: My Galant VR4 build thread
June 19, 2014 06:35PM
Have you thought about using Ecmlink for your engine management?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

June 19, 2014 06:59PM
it was one of the options. but i found a decent deal on a package of AEM v1 and a double pumper (for e85 plans), and since we're familiar with AEM v2, it seemed logical. Not that we can't do any of the links
unfast
Chris Clark
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Yeah right

June 19, 2014 07:12PM
Perfect, I'll stop cluttering up your build thread. If you need any misc. 5 speed stuff let me know. I have a bunch of stuff just sitting since I went auto in my 1g. No $ needed.
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

June 19, 2014 07:16PM
lol, well now that you mention it... my trans has to come out. No idea what all it'll need. It's driveable, but only goes into gear when it decides it's ready.

I have a 4bolt rear sitting around to put in, so I'm heading the right direction I think.
mekilljoydammit
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

June 19, 2014 07:31PM
Funny thing about the Ford stuff is that I've seen it for sale at various UK places. Apparently they're slightly special injectors to be able to run without fuel cooling them. Cool setup IMNSHO. May be fundamentally better ideas nowadays.

It sorta seems like cams for restrictor use are on the "lotsa lift for as little duration as possible" vein, from looking at what info I could find for Subaru crap for restrictor use. Kelford TX258, GSC S1... Cat Cams has an interesting looking one but rotsa ruck finding folks running Cat Cams over here. No direct experience, just food for thought.
RileySteenFRT
Riley steen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Focus ZX3

July 10, 2014 12:52PM
That's a good chunk of what's done
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (42.1 KB)
image.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 10, 2014 01:38PM
RileySteenFRT
That's a good chunk of what's done

OOOOps...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
RileySteenFRT
Riley steen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Focus ZX3

July 10, 2014 03:49PM
Its a little Glitchy maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. that doesn't go here
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

July 16, 2014 04:34PM
First... I just now noticed this thread and this picture in particular stood out. Makes me smile.

Paddy1337

Second...

john vanlandingham
I talked to the OP and stressed he doesn't need to worry about anything except reliability and getting the right gears

Once upon a time, JVL, you and I had a chat on the phone. Years ago. We talked about the old days, of rally clubs, bartering, and events which began when teams left their garages and drove across continents to the starting line. Of liberté, égalité, fraternité, though not necessarily in a sense of Franco-envy. It was a good call; reminded me I wasn't insane, or the only dreamer who still believes in the simple nobility of the everyman and his trusty machine. Many airplanes took off and landed in the background, no doubt to the chagrin of some cats, whilst I suspect we both smoked several cigarettes.

And I was sitting in the driver's seat of this car. Funny how things turn out, isn't it?

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 04:35PM by DR1665.
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

March 14, 2015 12:19PM
have not forgot about the Gay-lant! even if it is the "side piece" right now in my racing life.

anyway, after not a lot of info in the restrictor realm, i found that there are a million weber venturi/choke makers out there. Ended up ordering a 34mm venturi today. Hoping I can make it work, at about $20 shipped it's well worth it to me. i've seen the off-the-shelf suby restrictos sell in the hundreds, lol

wish me luck...
Attachments:
open | download - weber choke venturi 34mm.png (216.4 KB)
weber choke venturi 34mm.png
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

March 14, 2015 12:30PM
Also, with the concept of get on stage first, then make changes I'm going to try and get my Evo's stock Bilsteins on to the Galant. Supposedly it's a pretty darn simple modification to make them fit.

I still don't get the OEM concept of gigantic springs up front, and normal looking in the rear. But, simple install, MUCH newer, and with the fancy Bilstein name I figure it should be enough to get me on stage (at the low low price of free). Get the seat time, learn the car, then when I go to a builder, like JVAB, I'll have some input on what the car does, and what I'd like it to do differently. Not to mention, with a usable suspension on the car, fabrication delays can't hold me up.
Attachments:
open | download - P1020306.jpg (49.2 KB)
P1020306.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 14, 2015 12:47PM
Paddy1337
have not forgot about the Gay-lant! even if it is the "side piece" right now in my racing life.

anyway, after not a lot of info in the restrictor realm, i found that there are a million weber venturi/choke makers out there. Ended up ordering a 34mm venturi today. Hoping I can make it work, at about $20 shipped it's well worth it to me. i've seen the off-the-shelf suby restrictos sell in the hundreds, lol

wish me luck...

Nice idea for inspiration but the dimensions will not meet the rules...
The rules state distance from compressor wheel and that the 34mm bit must be a straight section 3mm long...

Now enforcement is lackadaisical to say the least so who knows, maybe you can get away with it.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 14, 2015 12:58PM
Paddy1337
Also, with the concept of get on stage first, then make changes I'm going to try and get my Evo's stock Bilsteins on to the Galant. Supposedly it's a pretty darn simple modification to make them fit.

I still don't get the OEM concept of gigantic springs up front, and normal looking in the rear. But, simple install, MUCH newer, and with the fancy Bilstein name I figure it should be enough to get me on stage (at the low low price of free). Get the seat time, learn the car, then when I go to a builder, like JVAB, I'll have some input on what the car does, and what I'd like it to do differently. Not to mention, with a usable suspension on the car, fabrication delays can't hold me up.

Travel is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay short---I have some of those fronts and it isn't even 150mm travel..
The fronts are also valve softer than peeeee so you really can't up the spring rates or you'll be waaaaaay underdamped.. Rears probably same thing...

And worse news is that new policy means if a unit is an OEM type thing---like the ones I have (that I bought thinking to swap out the roda for a 190mm travel rod and revalve for gravel spec, and be able to offer them to broke ass guys needing a lower priced alternative----they will not mod or revalve them...
I do have a plan up the sleeve but not sure I can swing it....

Unasked for advice: Galant is a good car, the motor is fine, needs minimal fiddling to make it a good 34mm restrictor motor...So low cost there. Trans has the same crap ratios as Eclipsed/Talhoons---no easy fix without $pending beaucoup dollar$...
Suspension there is no real substitute for at least: right travel and right valving.
It is a central and key thing that makes a car a gravel car, and not a road car (like that stuff you have) or a tarmac car..

You said you have lots of sponsors for engine work etc.
That means you don't have to lay out cash there.

That means you have cash for those things there is no substitute for..
Suspension and ratios...

Then that leaves just the other critical things: Brakes to slow the damn thing down..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

March 14, 2015 01:07PM
john vanlandingham

Nice idea for inspiration but the dimensions will not meet the rules...
The rules state distance from compressor wheel and that the 34mm bit must be a straight section 3mm long...

Now enforcement is lackadaisical to say the least so who knows, maybe you can get away with it.

Believe it or not, I read the rules before i clicked buy. but I didn't ask the seller for exact dimensions due to the low price. For what it's worth, my plan is chop off the bottom/skinny section where the slot is machined. Then machine my compressor cover inlet to the OD of this venturi, until the venturi is close enough to the compressor fins. I think it was 15mm or less.

Am I still off-base in my thinking it will work when adapted that way?
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

March 14, 2015 01:18PM
john vanlandingham

Travel is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay short---I have some of those fronts and it isn't even 150mm travel..
The fronts are also valve softer than peeeee so you really can't up the spring rates or you'll be waaaaaay underdamped.. Rears probably same thing...

And worse news is that new policy means if a unit is an OEM type thing---like the ones I have (that I bought thinking to swap out the roda for a 190mm travel rod and revalve for gravel spec, and be able to offer them to broke ass guys needing a lower priced alternative----they will not mod or revalve them...
I do have a plan up the sleeve but not sure I can swing it....

Unasked for advice: Galant is a good car, the motor is fine, needs minimal fiddling to make it a good 34mm restrictor motor...So low cost there. Trans has the same crap ratios as Eclipsed/Talhoons---no easy fix without $pending beaucoup dollar$...
Suspension there is no real substitute for at least: right travel and right valving.
It is a central and key thing that makes a car a gravel car, and not a road car (like that stuff you have) or a tarmac car..

You said you have lots of sponsors for engine work etc.
That means you don't have to lay out cash there.

That means you have cash for those things there is no substitute for..
Suspension and ratios...

Then that leaves just the other critical things: Brakes to slow the damn thing down..

First, I honestly hoped you'd chime in. but I didn't want to be needy, especially considering my proposed interim solution means not buying your product yet winking smiley

travel was main concern, for sure. They essentially ride on bump stops from the factory, before being compressed. I planned to try and up the spring rate, and ride height a little. [and really beef up under-car protection, lol]

You're 110% right on trans ratios. My current proposed solution (on a budget) is using the lowest 1,2,3rd gears that'll drop in- while also keeping tires as short as reasonably possible. Without messing with final drives I save a TON of work in matching diffs to the new final drive. downfalls are abundant still, but better than nothing. the 3-4shift will be a big drop.

The brakes are better than what came on the same era DSMs. Sufficient I don't know, but I'm hoping yes.

I do agree, my sponsorship is a big plus. Cheaper parts, and free/cheap labor on mechanical and tuning. Can't argue it, no reason to make defense to the contrary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login