Posted by dirty_d 
dirty_d
Brandon B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
wabbit season

Datsun 210
February 21, 2014 05:03PM
So I sent out a check yesterday for that Datsun 210 that was on special stage.

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?61321-1979-Datsun-210-Rally-Car

Needs sill bars but other than that and rewebbed harnesses it's "ready to rally"

hahaha.

The good

It runs pretty good. It's a datsun. ka24de. msd ignition. mikuni carbs. The cage looks well built for a grandfathered cage. dana30 rear end from some volvo, tri-linked, 4.88 gearing. it's a datsun. tidy pile of spares. many wheels. did i mention it's a datsun? i like datsuns. did i mention that mikunis don't scare me? they don't.

The bad:

needs a gearbox rebuild. 2nd gear synchro not so good. comes with a spare gearbox with the same problem.

helical lsd - does anyone make a clutchy limited slip for these things?

Front suspension was converted to 240sx stuff - steering rack made manual, 240sx hubs & adjustable control arms, customized tie rod ends to fit. kludgy fitting of tension control arms. geometry was not well planned. 240sx is wider track than the 210 by an undetermined amount. bumpsteer weirdness is assumed.

Tell me i'm dumb for not flying out and driving it. also tell me of reliable auto transport companies you admire. uship is not giving me warm fuzzies at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 05:04PM by dirty_d.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

Re: Datsun 210
February 21, 2014 05:31PM
dirty_d

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?61321-1979-Datsun-210-Rally-Car

Needs sill bars but other than that and rewebbed harnesses it's "ready to rally"

While I'd want to add them for my own sake, I'm still not 100% convinced that they "have" to be added - it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a scrutineer (even Mike Hurst) contradicting themselves and/or the rules.

Tell me i'm dumb for not flying out and driving it.

You're not dumb. I said 'no' to towing it up to run 00 at Idaho 2 years ago with it because I wasn't 100% confident in it.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 21, 2014 06:42PM
dirty_d

hahaha.

The good

It runs pretty good. It's a datsun. ka24de. msd ignition. mikuni carbs. The cage looks well built for a grandfathered cage. dana30 rear end from some volvo, tri-linked, 4.88 gearing. it's a datsun. tidy pile of spares. many wheels. did i mention it's a datsun? i like datsuns. did i mention that mikunis don't scare me? they don't.

The bad:

needs a gearbox rebuild. 2nd gear synchro not so good. comes with a spare gearbox with the same problem.

helical lsd - does anyone make a clutchy limited slip for these things?

Front suspension was converted to 240sx stuff - steering rack made manual, 240sx hubs & adjustable control arms, customized tie rod ends to fit. kludgy fitting of tension control arms. geometry was not well planned. 240sx is wider track than the 210 by an undetermined amount. bumpsteer weirdness is assumed.

Tell me i'm dumb for not flying out and driving it. also tell me of reliable auto transport companies you admire. uship is not giving me warm fuzzies at the moment.

ROADTRIP!

DO IT!

There are excellent all steel LSD for Dana 30, that's the good news..
Bad news is nearly $2000.

Powah steering mitigates a lot of mistakes.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dirty_d
Brandon B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
wabbit season

February 21, 2014 09:26PM
Sent the email with pics to mike hurst to be sure before i did the deal. He says sill bars. I say yes sir. I think i would like X bars in the doors actually. Would like to have at least a bar in the roof but no easy way to do that without having a bad time with a hole saw or removing the roof skin.

i will take the power steering under advisement. I do not possess gorilla arms. easy enough to dig up a pump and a rack for that. the existing rack is supposedly a power rack anyway but there was mention of "welding" in conjunction with blocking off the places where the PS juice goes in and out.

I can't realistically do the road trip. thats quite a haul from my neck of the woods. 26 hours one way and somewhere north of 1k in fuel for ye olde family truckster. maybe more if i take the enclosed trailer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 09:37PM by dirty_d.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 21, 2014 09:55PM
dirty_d
Sent the email with pics to mike hurst to be sure before i did the deal. He says sill bars. I say yes sir. I think i would like X bars in the doors actually. Would like to have at least a bar in the roof but no easy way to do that without having a bad time with a hole saw or removing the roof skin.

i will take the power steering under advisement. I do not possess gorilla arms. easy enough to dig up a pump and a rack for that. the existing rack is supposedly a power rack anyway but there was mention of "welding" in conjunction with blocking off the places where the PS juice goes in and out.

I can't realistically do the road trip. thats quite a haul from my neck of the woods. 26 hours one way and somewhere north of 1k in fuel for ye olde family truckster. maybe more if i take the enclosed trailer.

Fly out, drive back!
Adventure!
I drove in a serious blizzard from Amsterdam to Stockholm in a Mercedes 220s I got for the cost of the train ticket one way for one..And there was 2 of us and we had to stop for a 36 hour thing, temps in the teen, to pick up our kitty Manyard G Krebs who was flying in the Copenhagen---and had been delayed by the storm..

Live a little!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

February 24, 2014 09:39AM
when was the caged built out of curiosity?

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

March 14, 2014 11:40PM
If I remember right, that was Todds old 210? you could ask him about it

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
dirty_d
Brandon B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
wabbit season

March 17, 2014 12:23PM
First logbooked 4-11-1997 according to the book here. first ran wild west iin 97
Cage is all 1.75 x .125, which is nice.

edit: confirmed todd's old car per logbook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 12:24PM by dirty_d.
dirty_d
Brandon B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
wabbit season

April 19, 2014 02:01PM
Well it's here.

got a couple things to fix right quick.

wheel studs front right seem like they were tacked into the hubs lightly and broke loose. wheel loosened up and threads are all trashed. i didn't check it before doing a loop round the lot. dumb. dumb. dumb. Have a spare stud, but it's loose when i put it in the hole so i'm probably not going to find the same size stud to press fit back in.

Is it kosher to tack weld studs to the hub? makes replacing future fuckedup studs a little more difficult if i tack em' lightly.no guarantee they're not gonna spin in the future when i try to rotate the tires in a short service window.

edit: can't press in 14mm. I have to use the goofy datsun lugnuts that center the wheels. they're for 12 x 1.25.

No reverse gear either, so i've got that going for me, which is nice. I have a spare gearbox but it has a bad 2nd. I also have another unknown condition gearbox but it's from a sr20 so i need to swap the bellhousing with the one mated to the KA in the car.

That is today's progress. finding problems. fixing problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 02:02PM by dirty_d.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

April 19, 2014 02:02PM
dirty_d
finding problems. fixing problems.

That's every days progress owning an old rally car.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
dirty_d
Brandon B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
wabbit season

April 19, 2014 02:04PM
i should say finding problems. finding more problems, figuring out how to fix problems. nothing is actually fixed yet.

finding studs with wider knurl. that should do the trick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 02:11PM by dirty_d.
Creech
Scott Creech
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

April 19, 2014 02:26PM
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/2006_hardware.htm

"Section 10 - Wheel Studs and Nuts"

IIRC, there are diagrams and dimensions of the parts.

Catalog home page is here:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/dispstatichtml.aspx?PageName=HD_catalogs.html

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 02:27PM by Creech.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Godlike Moderator

April 20, 2014 07:30PM
Summit has a great search function, and you can filter studs by knurled size and thread pitch.

Are you running the 4spd or the dog leg 5? I just gave away a dog leg and a 240Z 5spd. If you need one I can try and see if they're available. Shipping is probably $150 for freight.
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

April 20, 2014 08:12PM
Once you figure out a few tricks the Summit search is really good. It's amazing what they have.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
dirty_d
Brandon B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
wabbit season

April 21, 2014 08:56AM
Ordered some studs on ebay. Summit wanted like 24 bucks a pop for the specific ones i wanted. I love summit as their main location in the east is 1/2 hour away from me so i can actually GO there and get stuff, or go there and check stuff out to make sure it will work.

I typed another post that got spamflagged or something, but basically i found a suitable dorman lugbolt that has a 14.xx mm knurl which is oddball but what i need. they're like 46mm long which is shorter than i wanted, but should be workable. i tried to find something long and rally-friendly but it doesn't exist with that knurl. not from arp or anyone anywhere. I'm stuck with 12 x 1.25 because i have to use these stupid nissan specific centering lugnuts for all the wheels I have.

The car has a FS5W71 5 speed gearbox they used in about every 240sx in the world among other cars, and it's mated to a KA24de 2.4 liter twin cam motor that's the same deal. These gearboxes are all beat on by every wannabe dor-ifto dork in the universe so finding a good junkyard version is a bit of a crapshoot. thus the bellhousing swap with a gearbox i have on the shelf. (also a crapshoot, but i don't have to buy anything)

OSgiken makes a nice close ratio gear$et for these. you can replace gears 1 through 3 for about 2k. Would be nice to find a cheaper alternative if i have to rebuild a gearbox anyway, but thats about 3x what i would consider reasonable for (MAD TITE JDM GEARZ YO)

Nissan stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login