Posted by phlat65 
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

John, pics of arms?
March 12, 2014 10:04AM
John, can you link to, or snap a few pics of what Ford did to strengthen the stock rear arms? It seems Dave has bent both sides to the point of 4 degrees of camber at ride height...
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: John, pics of arms?
March 12, 2014 10:10AM
phlat65
John, can you link to, or snap a few pics of what Ford did to strengthen the stock rear arms? It seems Dave has bent both sides to the point of 4 degrees of camber at ride height...

OK, gotta get the girlies to school and call Bistein first...

Has he been practicing? It funny he lives less than 6-8 miles from where I know some really great roads: no ditches and great sight-lines = SAFE

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

March 12, 2014 12:02PM
I don't know how John does Ford arms, but we do BMW E30 rear trailing arms like this. Though if you are going the BMW route, I recommend going E36 instead...

And another shot from the back showing both the rear reinforcements. That bottom bolt hole is the shock mount.

Jason McDaniel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 12:04PM by modernbeat.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

March 14, 2014 09:44PM
Johhny, any progress on those pics?
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

March 24, 2014 09:30AM
John, is there a chance you can snap those pictures today?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 24, 2014 10:14AM
phlat65
John, is there a chance you can snap those pictures today?

I can try --I did look thru the repository of piccies at www.rallyrace.net/jvab and I know what I'm looking at but they're not so clear if you don't know already..

Thing is there is James Bass in MO and Hille in CT, and whassis name in MN and my man up in Calgary and maybe a few others who would like to benefit also---and me, too.

Now I wanted to do the "let's be smart and mod what needs to be modded--and add to the original thing" idea---and everybody decided to go to somebody who deciuded that you guys needed 100% fabricated arms---and yeah yeah intitially they didn't wok so well...could mount the shock ....little annoying things..
But it was the idea...Lets do as much as we can as a standardised thingso the COLLECTIVE numbers are larger and the unit costs lower...mini series production...
But as soon as the other guy ---who I help get started---begins talking to you guys-- and convincing you guys he can make bitchin-er stuff---even though he never did 1 mile of stage---

You guys went there---and doubtless paid ridiculous prices---which is fine for you, but it cracked the 'small series thing" and THEN I'm wary of spending any time or effort on shit that does me no good AND doesn't help more than one guy----

I know you know I think the one man artiste thing making one custom part for one person is madness...But short runs takes commitment and cooperation---longer term shit.

So who is going to fab the shit that I post up?
How many ? Anything for the others?
Is somebody going to take the idea and begin manufacturing them for profit---cutting me out and copying stuff I did the homework for? Like has happened already?

What I'm saying is I expect something back..
ALL you guys I've been helping make a lot more money than I do, ALL you guys have been out in the woods playing.....and I want to make more and make enough to do some skidding around.
I've tried to do that by helping select people...and then doing short series.. It has not worked.

I share contacts and move jobs in people's direction, sometimes thousands of dollars of labor---and none similar comes back---indeed those I've helped have vacuumed up jobs for themselves--when they previously weren't in the branch..

See?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 24, 2014 03:13PM
john vanlandingham
Is somebody going to take the idea and begin manufacturing them for profit---cutting me out and copying stuff I did the homework for? Like has happened already?

I know I have a rear beam reinforcement kit that was designed by Sean and manufactured by William.
So, I would imagine Sean is wanting to see the images and then use that to copy.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 24, 2014 04:43PM
NoCoast
john vanlandingham

I know I have a rear beam reinforcement kit that was designed by Sean and manufactured by William.
So, I would imagine Sean is wanting to see the images and then use that to copy.

Sorry, since the last 4 guys i wasted tons TONS of time trying to get an affordable square beam done was proving to be so difficult, I suggested years ago we could just do a quick burn out to double the boxey shit..as a cheap couple of buck stop gap...
But we were trying to herd kittens 5-6 years before Sean went to William to zap them out.

COPYING Fords stuff, suggested HERE, not "designed by" Sean, he cut out some templates..William merely burned them out..

Fuck me "designed by" and "manufactured"
You talk like that?

And I didn't get any despite pleading and wasting so much time trying to get guys to think of doing something---that nobody else, none of the fuck-tard Xratty "heroes" nobody even thought of.
Thanks. Good example.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 24, 2014 04:55PM
john vanlandingham
I suggested years ago we could just do a quick burn out to double the boxey shit..as a cheap couple of buck stop gap...

You talk like that?

You suggested. Sean did and had William cut them for him. I was already getting some other shit I designed cut by William and knew he had the files so asked him to cut me out a set as well. We designed templates and used that to build boxes for cage feet. Though I now have them cut by a local guy up the road with a plasma table. By your logic, should I go back and find out who first suggested to put the main hoop and half laterals up on boxes and pay them a royalty since I've now used that idea in ten roll cages I have built, some of those for money.

Sean - Contact ATM Sport and see if they have any for sale? Ask for pictures? Or maybe that outfit out of Italy with all the 909 stuff? I think they list alot of it on european ebay sites.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 24, 2014 05:38PM
NoCoast
john vanlandingham
I suggested years ago we could just do a quick burn out to double the boxey shit..as a cheap couple of buck stop gap...

You talk like that?

You suggested. Sean did and had William cut them for him. I was already getting some other shit I designed cut by William and knew he had the files so asked him to cut me out a set as well. We designed templates and used that to build boxes for cage feet. Though I now have them cut by a local guy up the road with a plasma table. By your logic, should I go back and find out who first suggested to put the main hoop and half laterals up on boxes and pay them a royalty since I've now used that idea in ten roll cages I have built, some of those for money.

Sean - Contact ATM Sport and see if they have any for sale? Ask for pictures? Or maybe that outfit out of Italy with all the 909 stuff? I think they list alot of it on european ebay sites.

Snippy answer. ATM Sport aka the criminal Andrew Thompson is notorious as a bandit, routining quadrupling quoted prices once he has a credit card number, including VAT and quadrupling the Postage..
You're not helping anybody with advice like that, Grant.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 24, 2014 07:01PM
john vanlandingham
Snippy answer. ATM Sport aka the criminal Andrew Thompson is notorious as a bandit, routining quadrupling quoted prices once he has a credit card number, including VAT and quadrupling the Postage..
You're not helping anybody with advice like that, Grant.

Oh yeah, don't try to buy anything or give that guy money for sure! But Sean just wants pictures to have some informed suggestions before he starts welding stuff onto the stock arms.

Grant Hughes
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

March 25, 2014 09:04PM
Wow..... I think I can figure it out. Thanks.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 25, 2014 09:23PM
phlat65
Wow..... I think I can figure it out. Thanks.

Well Sean to take photos I'd have to climb up in the loft, un-bury them, carry them out, take piccies if the batteries work---they're always dead---unl;oad, upload, host them, copy and paste them..All told maybe 45minutes...

They've been here for years.. You could zip down and look in the same amount of time..

I ask a few questions like who's going to make some--and is any body else going to get some---since theres some other guys needing now..
No answers..

What can i say?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
MarkHille
Mark Hille
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
I have two crap boxes

March 26, 2014 07:23AM
I like benefiting. I also don't mind paying someone for work they did that I don't have to do, such as designing or fabricating something. I tried going through william and got nowhere. I don't mind sharing it just seems you guys are better at making crap and a few years ahead of me. I'm still looking for solutions for front arms (missed that one, my fault), rear arms, and rear beam reinforcement. So far I just have some internet pictures and a pile of spares.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

March 26, 2014 09:14PM
John, I have 2 sets to do for Dave, and would happily do more for you if you want. I am not in the buisness of making parts, I dont have time for that shit. I have shared ALL of my ideas with anyone that has ever asked. You know I have always been appreciative of your help and guidence, just seemed like your response here was a bit out of left field.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login