NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: E36 BMW chassis parts list
March 25, 2014 12:24PM
Andrew_Frick
Grant you had mentioned stock A arms. I have read that the M3 ones have larger ball joints. Is this is a good upgrade or not?

No clue if they are larger but pretty sure they are $200 instead of ~$100 per arm and with two ball joints per arm and being aluminum I figure they are a regular service item, maybe magnaflux every few events, replace every 5-10 events preventatively?

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DaveK
Dave Kern
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

March 25, 2014 12:41PM
I don't think I'd want aluminum mounts on a rally car, but a good stiff urethane with no voids sounds like a good plan.

I'm with grant on the control arms. Just plan on replacing them fairly often. We noticed some slop on the 328 at 100AW and replacing those is part of my re-prep on the car as it gets ready to tackle PPIHC. I am going to go to a more solid mount on the rear attachment point for the control arm, because the stock one is pretty mushy.

The one thing I would make sure of when ordering arms is to get the ones that don't have the vibration isolator on them...looks liek another potential failure point. On my Compact I put E46 "sport" arms on my car so I could have a little more room for crazy amounts of steering articulation. They've held up pretty good so far, but that car hasn't seen any rallies yet...just a season of local hillclimbs.

Dave
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

April 01, 2014 08:37AM
What is the race weight of the E36 cars that have been prepped to date?
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

April 01, 2014 09:32AM
Highly recomend doing the rear subframe attach point strengthening kit to any E36 driven mildly hard. We have fixed 3 or 4 at my shop that have torn the mount out. Street driven, 2 were 325's, adult owned.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 01, 2014 10:21AM
Not sure on race weight, but in hillclimb spec, my 6-cyl compact was 2675 at one point. Still full glass and no lightweight body panels. I think we added another 10 lbs of reinforcement for the rear diff since then. Only real difference for hillclimb spec is no spare or tools.

Dave
tamgaz
Hakan Okcuoglu
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
DSM GSX

April 01, 2014 08:27PM
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 02, 2014 12:07AM

That would be a good deal---for about half that price

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 02, 2014 12:21AM

It certainly would save someone some time in terms of being stage ready now, but at a pretty damn hefty premium. It does have a fast paint job! smileys with beer About the only good deal in that ad is the S52, assuming it comes with the transmission and both have less than 50k on them....otherwise that too is overpriced.

Dave
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

April 02, 2014 08:59AM
That is also an e30, and this thread was intended to be about the more modern e36.

I saw that car in person at Sandblast, it looks like a nice build. No idea on if that price is good or not as the market for used rally cars seems to be all over the place.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

April 02, 2014 09:02AM
phlat65
Highly recomend doing the rear subframe attach point strengthening kit to any E36 driven mildly hard. We have fixed 3 or 4 at my shop that have torn the mount out. Street driven, 2 were 325's, adult owned.

Hello Sean,

Thanks for that. I have read that as well.

Who is best source for those parts?

I have also seen that the shock towers need reinforcements.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 02, 2014 05:36PM
Turner Motorsports is a good source for most of the reinforcement bits I think.

I finished our first prototype skidplate last night. Crossmembers and skidplate, weld on turret, crossmember bolts on or welds on. Few minor modifications left to do on it but will be available for around $400+$50 core (for rear cross piece.)

Last file shows a stock oil pan that was hit by me with a sledgehammer to see how easily I could break it. The car with the skidplate pictured has an S50 swap with a JB welded oilpan. He is planning to replace it soon.

Grant Hughes
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0617.jpg (18 KB)
IMAG0617.jpg
open | download - IMAG0618.jpg (20.4 KB)
IMAG0618.jpg
open | download - IMAG0616.jpg (42.2 KB)
IMAG0616.jpg
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

April 03, 2014 07:59AM
Grant. Nice design. I am assuming the wider sections at the back are protecting the rear A arm mounts?

How much transmission protection does it provide? A related question is how much is needed?

I have a very similar design on the my focus right now. The modification I made that I really like is a small vertical section welded along the sides for about he front 3rd. This has hugely stiffened the plate.
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

April 03, 2014 09:19AM
We use the Turner kit for E46. We use a combination of the OEM BMW parts and some parts made in house for the E36. We use the Rally Road parts on the E36 front subframe. None of these parts are hard to make, but in a shop we have to look at the time vs cost factor.

Here is a gallery of what we typically do to an E46. Very similar to an E36.

E46 rear subframe mount reinforcement

Not as detailed, as it's a whole car build, you can see some prep for a high powered road race car in the Vorshlag BMW E36 LS1 ST2 Build. We would do some additional things for a rally car, but this is a starting point.

The front subframe

The reinforced rear subframe mounting points

Jason McDaniel
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 03, 2014 11:38AM
Andrew_Frick
Grant. Nice design. I am assuming the wider sections at the back are protecting the rear A arm mounts?

How much transmission protection does it provide? A related question is how much is needed?

I have a very similar design on the my focus right now. The modification I made that I really like is a small vertical section welded along the sides for about he front 3rd. This has hugely stiffened the plate.

Not much trans protection but trans is fairly high up on these cars compared to others.
Yeah, will likely add a little boxing in on the sides and a bend on newer versions. This was prototype and went on car for rallycross Saturday. S50 powered Compact with JB weld on oil pan where it was cracked already. So just wanted to get some protection on ASAP!

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 03, 2014 12:18PM
NoCoast
Andrew_Frick

Not much trans protection but trans is fairly high up on these cars compared to others.
Yeah, will likely add a little boxing in on the sides and a bend on newer versions. This was prototype and went on car for rallycross Saturday. S50 powered Compact with JB weld on oil pan where it was cracked already. So just wanted to get some protection on ASAP!

You really ought to a) fold the very leading edge up maybe the last inch give it an angle so it never is lower than horisontal--ie with suspension fully collapsed. and b) zap a hunk of 3/8 x 1.5 aluminum bar right in front of those exposed bolt heads as a deflector so the bolt heads don't get destroyed or cleaned right off. Hack the front , the leading edge so its has an angle..

Unless you enjoy fighting with rounded mangled bolt heads.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login