Posted by Tom B 
Tom B
Tom B
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

Megasquirt
October 05, 2007 01:55AM
so I only have good things to say about it...super easy to wire...only two sensors to make it run really well...awesome throttle response with only a couple hours of tuning.

should have some wicked good power out of this setup after we get it all dialed up...little bit more wide band a little bit of wot dyno time.

LSPR is going to be fun

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fridgewagon
James Kramer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
??....81 Volvo 242GLT?...??

Re: Megasquirt
October 05, 2007 03:56AM
Bitchin bud!

I have an MS&S to wire up and a beater laptop to setup. Was your car full of the k-jets (I think the VW guys call it CIS) like mine currently is? (I say k-jets because it sort of sounds like an STD...as in "better avoid her...she has the k-jets".

The k-jet in mine works fine, amazingly. Then again, it only has 2 wires...one for the CPR, one for the cold start off the starter. Thankfully volvo was sane enough to leave it at that on the early models. It is more responsive than the MAF EFI in my other brick, but the MS seems like a good way to go...even though mine being N/A could really be happy with a pair of 40mm DCOEs...shame I no longer have a set and have the MS&S box...yet not really in that the MS&S makes so much more sense in the modern world.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 05, 2007 10:52AM
MSnS is a great little product. The non-turbo DSM community has been getting into this for a couple years, now. The open source nature of the code and super helpful community make it supremely useful. That kind of tuning power for scarcely more than an SAFC is wonderful. If I didn't have the ability to reflash the EPROM in the Gaylant, I'd be all over it.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Tom B
Tom B
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

October 05, 2007 02:58PM
twas full of the K-jets, fuel lines were a slight pain, but I was able to make a decent solution since we switched the intake side.

the best part about the megasquirt setup is how insanely tunable it is....the car has some rowdy cams in it, but I was able to get it to idle better than a stock k-jet car....cold starts are no longer an issue, and the reliabilit is going to be fantastic. I never had one DNF with k-jet, but the tunability is worth the upgrade alone, plus the space savings in the vehicle is pretty dramatic as well, we were able to open up the engine compartment alot...my crew guys are way happy.

launch control and multiple fuel and ignition maps are in the works....all in a stupid little rabbit.

can't wait for LSPR

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks

Dazed_Driver
Banned
Super Moderator

October 05, 2007 04:13PM
This is all good news, I've got a few friends who love their megasquirt, and I based my decision to run it off them, but I'm always glad to hear others say it turned out well. I just need the engine for it to be run.... hahaha.

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Phlyan Pan
Travis Sleight
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Moved on....wasn't much of a rally car anyway

October 06, 2007 08:52AM
We have MSnS in our rabbit as well. Very tunable if you have everything set up properly. Just make sure you're getting advice from people who actually know what they're talking about. The open source nature of it means that there's about eleventy billion different opinions about what works and what doesn't. And we all know about opinions don't we?

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink.

Anyway, good luck on your megasquirt.

"Time to unpimp ze auuto."

sleightc (A.T.) Yahoo {DOT} com
Jay
Jay Woodward
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
October 10, 2007 03:51PM
This is encouraging news. I had heard rumors that rally guys were having trouble with megasquirt, running fine on transits then screwing up on stage because of vibration. I have an ancient haltech that needs replacing and not much cash, so MS looks good on paper.

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege
Chronologically, 46...
Phlyan Pan
Travis Sleight
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

October 10, 2007 06:07PM
Vibration is a concern. Ours was fine for our first race but we only made 4 stages because of other issues. In the future we're going to pot the board and any heavy components are going to get braced with hot glue. Supposedly that will eliminate any vibration gremlins.

Tom B
Tom B
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

October 11, 2007 03:25AM
nearly got the thing fully tuned....then the two month old timing belt jumped and ate the head and block....already sourced a nearly fresh balanced setup....should have it running by friday night....son of a bitch this is going to be bad for my credit....

-Tom

dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

October 11, 2007 07:53AM
Just to list an alternate... more expensive than the Megasquirt, but with more tunability and options (built-in wideband controller)... take a look at VEMS (http://vems.hu/) ; It's gonna ship out of Europe, and the Wiki is a pain to get used to and read initially... but until Megasquirt comes out with their MS3 setup, this one is looking like the most promising for a budget. I'm taking special note of it, because unlike Megasquirt, I can run 5 cylinder coil-on-plug (no distributor). To run a MS setup like this would eliminate almost all available inputs.
Phlyan Pan
Travis Sleight
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

October 11, 2007 09:06AM
You're correct. While you can take just about any wideband and feed it into the MS, coil on plug setups are definitely a weakness. 4 cylinder is do able. 5 is very tough. I think we're going to switch ours over to a wasted spark 4 cylinder setup before too long.

dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

October 11, 2007 10:01AM
Ya, the 4-cyl wasted spark setup works pretty well... has been proven out countless times by all the 4-cyl guys running MS. Steal the setup off a Ford EDIS, put a 60-2 (iirc) wheel on your crank pulley, mount a VR sensor, and you're off to the races.

The other issue I've run into is triggering the 5-cylinder engine... you end up having to use multiple sensors, since you can't run wasted spark. The Audi setup uses 3 sensors to do it, and VEMS is finally getting the support right to allow the AudiTrigger setup to work properly (they had issues with high-rpm... and sensors being "slightly" out of sync)...
135 tooth wheel + sensor (flywheel starter teeth ring)
1 tdc pin on flywheel + sensor
1 camshaft TDC single window + hall sensor

knows where engine is based on 135 tooth, then finds engine TDC based on both flywheel and cam sensors firing at the same time.

Then you get into turbo boost control, idle air control, temp sensors, etc... VEMS has some pretty cool add-on's to increase the functionality... information displays.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

October 13, 2007 01:11AM
Tom: Talk to Chris Blakely pronto. He's been fiddling with a Megasquirt for rallying for several years now, and ironed out a bunch of things that may not show up until you hit your first bump.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Tom B
Tom B
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

October 13, 2007 01:32AM
been talking with him for a bit, seems many of the vibration problems have to do with mounting and soldering...we have excellent ideas to quell both. Gravel testing starts on Sunday...I'm hoping we find any other issues prior to the event.

-Tom

hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

October 13, 2007 01:53AM
excellent.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login