wildert
Brian Klausen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

Farm jack for rally car?
April 21, 2014 08:39AM
So... I've been thinking...

I am trying to come up with the ultimate compromise for lifting the rally car, that is compact, portable, fast liftning and doesn't take up any (or at least too much) space.

Currently I use a regular trolley jack - liftning height about 20 inches. I have it set up so the handle is easy to remove, it is not too heavy etc., so it fits in my station wagon (our DD doubles as service van). Portability- and compact-wise it works well.

But since it only lifts about 20 inches, I have to lift at the cross member, to get the car high enough into the air to get at least reasonable space under it.
When the car is on the ground, I can't get the jack under the skid plate (we rally on tarmac, so I don't have that much clearance, though it's no road racer).
Currently I solve that by either driving up on two ramps. But they have to sit just right, and always move about a bit, they take up space in my not too big garage, and it's just one extra step that I could do without. Particularly at service.
If i lift at the front, I can't get the car high enough into the air to get the jack stands under the mounts that are behind the front wheels (Mk II Golf).

I used to have a high lift trolley jack, but it takes up a lot of space in the garage, and is too big and heavy for me to bring to races.

I have pondering a million solutions, and the last one is to use one of those farm/off road jacks.
I would build some sort of adapter bar of sorts, to put into the back and front of the respectively, and then put the jack into that.

I figure that the 48" variety of those jacks would be pretty good, and if not, the 60" is always a possibility. The 48" inchers seem to weigh in at around 30 pounds - that should be better than the current trolley jack.

I am concerned about two things though:

1. Are these jacks stable enough for jacking a regular car that high. Or can they be modified in some way to stabilise?

2. Are they worth the while when it comes to the speed and effort of jacking?
I have been watching videos of 4x4-guys using them, but those cars would be quite a bit heavier, and also they may be exaggerating the movement for instructional purposes. Also, I can't seem to figure out if it will take for ever to get the car to a reasonable height.

So - how does the plan sound? Doable? Anybody done something like this?
Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Brgrds
Brian

Please Login or Register to post a reply
corax
Keith Fritzinger
Infallible Moderator

Re: Farm jack for rally car?
April 21, 2014 01:32PM
I don't know about its use on a rally car, but I've used these jacks off-road many times. They have the nick-name of "widow maker" from people not using them correctly or just not being careful around them, so caution and respect for the tool is in order.

A couple different companies make a spiked base foot that should make it more stable in dirt/gravel, and there is also a plastic base that would help keep the jack from sinking in soft surfaces.

There's also this product, but it doesn't look like it's meant for quick setup
http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tech-travel/2012/12/15/transform-your-hi-lift-jack.html

Oh yeah, don't let it get away from you when lowering, and if you like your face, keep it away from the handle (skip to 3:20)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 01:36PM by corax.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

April 21, 2014 02:40PM
Hi-lift makes a 36" version that will fit in your trunk without problems: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-HL364-Black-Steel/dp/B000CMDSOG

You can also go with the VW/Bilstein type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Quick-Lift-Rally-Car-Jack-VW-Bilstein-Type-410mm-/290705748347

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
wildert
Brian Klausen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

April 21, 2014 04:00PM
wvonkessler
Hi-lift makes a 36" version that will fit in your trunk without problems: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-HL364-Black-Steel/dp/B000CMDSOG

Yeah, I found a 33" version from a european supplier as well. Dirt cheap I must say.
It would probably suffice depending on the "adapter".
I'm still kinda worried about stability, etc. I know all the guys that like the jack say that they are just fine when used correctly. While I don't doubt that, I'm a bit wary that I would mess something up when in a hurry - for instance at service.

My own research brought me by those as well. They seem to be quicker as well, and I have a feeling that the mechanism is a bit safer.
Is that correct?

Thanks for the input so far.

Brgrds
Brian

wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

April 21, 2014 07:02PM
Look on page 7 here: http://www.doublegmotorsport.com/rsprep/12-General.pdf

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login