DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

Re: AWD to RWD conversion...of myself; a/k/a/ e30 gravel car
August 07, 2014 12:43PM
MConte05
What a lot of guys do (and I do too) is lawn edging. It helped a bit on my old OL legacy, as I had that floaty feeling past 80 mph or so as well, but in a frontal view, you could easily see the skidplate sloping down. Put on some stiff plastic lawn edging with some self-tapping screws, and made the car feel much better at speed.

We tried that on the edge of the splitter on my Evo at PPIHC one year. I thought it worked pretty well, but looking at pictures after the event even the stiff stuff really flexed at speed. In some high speed sections looked like it was folding back nearly 45 degrees from the static mounting position. No idea what that means in terms of how good/bad it worked, just and observation.

Dave
Please Login or Register to post a reply
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

August 07, 2014 01:30PM
What kind did you use? There is the type that has a bulb at the end of the extrusion, that seems to hold up at speed much better than the straight up lawn edging. Doesn't look nearly as pretty though!
DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

August 07, 2014 01:41PM
MConte05
What kind did you use? There is the type that has a bulb at the end of the extrusion, that seems to hold up at speed much better than the straight up lawn edging. Doesn't look nearly as pretty though!

I think that's what I used? Had a 90 degree lip on one side that we riveted into the top of the splitter, and then on the other end there was a round tube thingy that gave the lower lip strength. In the pic you can see the deflection from the way the shadow/sun is hitting it:

...and damn, I really miss the dirt up there!

Dave
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

August 07, 2014 02:02PM
I threw on the pretty one on the new Legacy. It's pretty much useless. However the skidplate is tucked up a lot tighter than my old one since I don't have to clear NA headers. So it still feels more stable at speed than the old car (diffs and proper alignment helps too).

I do want to find whatever the WRC or SRTUSA guys are using, at least in 4" wide rolls.
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot_2014-05-31-06-33-25.png (433.1 KB)
Screenshot_2014-05-31-06-33-25.png
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

August 07, 2014 03:20PM
One of these days I'm going to have to ask Ben what he had on the Focus, it seemed pretty robust, at least until you started slamming it into the ground...

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

August 07, 2014 04:21PM
all these years. i never new about lawn edging for my rally car... I've tried using it to Edge a lawn, but never lawn edging on it.. hmmmm
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 07, 2014 11:46PM
Dan McGinn

John, are you getting me that suspenion? Otherwise I'll have to figure out something asap. I could deal with the half-ass setup at Maine, but too many jumps at BRS for half-assery.

funny you should mention it...Was out in the heat doing this today--in between chasing some squirmy giggly girls, pushing on a several ton CNC mill, and packing for a campy trip up into the mountains to watch the meteor shower.

These should be ready to ship mid week---I'm probably going to revise the upper little ear mounts so they are 100% boxed (top and bottom)

Sure would be nice if the shocks order so long ago ever would comeconfused smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Dan McGinn
Senior Moderator

August 08, 2014 04:46AM
john vanlandingham
Dan McGinn

John, are you getting me that suspenion? Otherwise I'll have to figure out something asap. I could deal with the half-ass setup at Maine, but too many jumps at BRS for half-assery.

funny you should mention it...Was out in the heat doing this today--in between chasing some squirmy giggly girls, pushing on a several ton CNC mill, and packing for a campy trip up into the mountains to watch the meteor shower.

These should be ready to ship mid week---I'm probably going to revise the upper little ear mounts so they are 100% boxed (top and bottom)

Sure would be nice if the shocks order so long ago ever would comeconfused smiley

Thanks John, looking forward to getting them in
Dan McGinn
Senior Moderator

September 04, 2014 03:54PM
Got the struts John, thanks, now where do y'all recommend I get springs? 2800ish lb car, rwd, nose heavy pig with s50 in front. Some jumps coming up at BRS, so want to get it right and not bounce off the road on a landing.
Relative Noob driver, probably 25 stages under my belt now.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

September 04, 2014 04:16PM
Dan McGinn
Got the struts John, thanks, now where do y'all recommend I get springs? 2800ish lb car, rwd, nose heavy pig with s50 in front. Some jumps coming up at BRS, so want to get it right and not bounce off the road on a landing.
Relative Noob driver, probably 25 stages under my belt now.

My compact is about 2700 with nobody in it and no rally spares or tools. Also had heavy S50 up front and the car seemed great up front with 2.5" diameter 14" 300# springs on the 40mm JVABs.

I just ordered up another set with the same rates from a local roundy round shop earlier this week. The new springs are 2.5" barrel springs from Swift as a standard 2.5" spring didn't the spring perch. (Note: I asked for something weird from John, so your setup may require 3" diameter springs.)

Dave
Dan McGinn
Senior Moderator

September 04, 2014 11:33PM
Thanks, Dave, looks like I'm 3" springs, I'll go with your rates for BRS as I think our cars are similar weight and balance
Dan McGinn
Senior Moderator

September 05, 2014 02:32PM
Also, John, where are the knuckles I sent you, need those to do the install, wheels up in 14 days for BRS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login