Posted by vbares 
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

Dealing with the restrictor rule
June 07, 2014 08:03AM
Last event - we had some challenges (blew up a turbo and cooked the motor) - so the opportunity presented itself to build it better than it was smiling smiley

Subject: 2.2L 5pot Audi motor w/20v turbo head

J&E Rods
Weisco 81.5mm flat top pistons
coated bearings
Balanced rotating assembly

3-angle on the head
light skim
guides and seals

CC'd the head - looks like we're at 9.48:1 CR - I wanted to get to 10:1 due to the 34mm restrictor on the turbo.

Restrictor will limit flow to ~29 lb/in - so we're looking to produce torque at the bottom end and give up hp at the top (basically limited to a theoretical 290chp) - we saw 240whp on the dyno with a GTX2862 @3400 rpm with stock pistons and stock CR (9.3:1).

I have a guy looking into a custom turbine starting from a GT2871 - from what I've read/studied having close to zero trim on the turbine wheel should allow quicker spool at lower rpm and thereby more torque at the low end, giving up top end...which is restricted anyway.

But, I digress - that said, I'm looking for the vast wisdom on this forum with regards to cams...

It has been suggested that if I were to use 7a cams and advance the timing on both exhaust and intake I could pop more exhaust into the turbine, thereby getting boost sooner as well as suck more fuel/air into the chamber - oh yeah, and I'd like to run pump gas...

I found this nifty piece of data in the pic below...

Many Audi folk will add the 7A exhaust cam for high end power enhancement - I'm not convinced with my application, restrictor and goals this is the best way to go - but I am thinking that using the stock 3B cams and adjustable cam gears could give some benefit in the low end without compromising my restricted power limit on the top - what say you?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - Valves.jpg (38.6 KB)
Valves.jpg
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

Re: Dealing with the restrictor rule
June 07, 2014 08:09AM
oh - and anyone think its really worthwhile to try to get from current 9.5:1 CR to 10:1 CR by having a custom headgasket made that is 0.5mm thinner than current (still need to clay the head to even find out if I have clearance doing so)...
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

June 07, 2014 08:55AM
vbares
oh - and anyone think its really worthwhile to try to get from current 9.5:1 CR to 10:1 CR by having a custom headgasket made that is 0.5mm thinner than current (still need to clay the head to even find out if I have clearance doing so)...
Make sure you dont thin out the gasket too much and get the quench pad too tight, the piston to head clearance should stay around 1mm (40 thou)
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

June 07, 2014 09:36AM
Lets just say that i wouldn't be investing too much $$$ in optimizing for a 34mm restrictor at this point.

Chris
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 07, 2014 09:57AM
Do It Sidewayz
Lets just say that i wouldn't be investing too much $$$ in optimizing for a 34mm restrictor at this point.

Sounds like a broad hint... do you think you could hint just a little more why he should not?
All in hinty hint type tone...You can tell us, we won't tell anybody....

all as hint naturally

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

June 07, 2014 10:14AM
Just thinking we will see the mandate of a 32mm before too long!

Chris
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 07, 2014 11:46AM
Do It Sidewayz
Just thinking we will see the mandate of a 32mm before too long!

Since we have ample evidence that with enough money spent the restrictor doesn't slow anybody down---except the poorer privateers----and we see other bigger countries going to larger restrictors for the National cars ----why would Canada be doing something in the opposite direction than these other countries with more and longer experience?

Look at the way Australia has adopted the idea of choice: people can choose either full FIA Group N rules to the T including FIA spec fuel--and 32mm soda straw or they can choose no restrictor and run on pump gas.....and its working fine...and it seems about 3/4 have chose the smarter choice: pump gas and no restrictor..

Shirley Canada can learn for others and craft something that serves the majority and saves huge amounts of money.

Presuming CARS gives a shit about the well being of their series--because when the Aussie foolish went to straight GpN and 32mm their series suffered a huge loss of entries and interest..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

June 07, 2014 01:58PM
John GrN has been 33mm for the last few years, which provided about a 15-18hp increase in power and better powerband spread.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 07, 2014 04:29PM
Cosworth
John GrN has been 33mm for the last few years, which provided about a 15-18hp increase in power and better powerband spread.

then wtf is anybody yammering about 32 for? Seems a number of places allow 36mm for National cars...
The rationalizing that USA and or Canada should adopt FIA spec for anything is truely stupid when nobody is dragging the club spec Blue Subie to rallies in Portogallo or Italy or Bulgaria...

THEY, those especially in smaller (geographically/population) countries might want to do some events in other countries just casue their own country might no have so many rallies or the level is low so some kind of common spec is understandable...But "we" don't even speak with our cousins to the South so its just USA and Canada..

Its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupide have now 2 decades showing restrictors only hurt low budget teams.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

June 08, 2014 06:59AM
Well you're both right (I'd rather see pump gas as the only allowed fuel) - now with fluctuating restrictor requirements one would want to build for flexibility.

Lets review - money spent on optimizing for restrictor so far in the motor:

uhm zero...

I've also decided to leave the HG alone as the 0.5 CR gain really isn't worth the effort, dollars or potential reliability.

On the cams - Audi made several motors with the same bottom end but different heads. The cams in two of the motors ares described in the chart above. The 7A is a 20v NA head and the 3B is a 20v turbo head.

7A has cams that have a longer duration (not sure about lift) and start a bit earlier than the 3B - These cams can be acquired for a couple hundred bucks. If we add another couple hundred bucks for adjustable cams - would it make sense to:

a) Go with the 7A cams and longer duration
b) index the cams for more advance to improve spool

My thought is that this could provide for a very flexible platform that can be adjusted for different intake limiting rules.

(if we could stay focused on the technical merits of this approach it would be appreciated smiling smiley )
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

June 08, 2014 08:25AM
vbares
Well you're both right (I'd rather see pump gas as the only allowed fuel) - now with fluctuating restrictor requirements one would want to build for flexibility.

Lets review - money spent on optimizing for restrictor so far in the motor:

uhm zero...

I've also decided to leave the HG alone as the 0.5 CR gain really isn't worth the effort, dollars or potential reliability.

On the cams - Audi made several motors with the same bottom end but different heads. The cams in two of the motors ares described in the chart above. The 7A is a 20v NA head and the 3B is a 20v turbo head.

7A has cams that have a longer duration (not sure about lift) and start a bit earlier than the 3B - These cams can be acquired for a couple hundred bucks. If we add another couple hundred bucks for adjustable cams - would it make sense to:

a) Go with the 7A cams and longer duration
b) index the cams for more advance to improve spool

My thought is that this could provide for a very flexible platform that can be adjusted for different intake limiting rules.

(if we could stay focused on the technical merits of this approach it would be appreciated smiling smiley )
Vitorio, more duration and lift isnt particularly preferable on a restrictor car. It tends to raise the powerband in the rev range and decreases port velocity. So on the exhaust it will hurt spool up in the lower rpms. Also it will effectively decrease your dynamic compression ratio. I'm sure those stock cams are still small enough not to hurt the performance but I'm sure John will know more about this.
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

June 08, 2014 12:33PM
Cosworth
Also it will effectively decrease your dynamic compression ratio. I'm sure those stock cams are still small enough not to hurt the performance but I'm sure John will know more about this.

I'm not at all knowledgeable in the dynamics of engine speed and what happens as you approach TDC - but I would imagine both valves would want to stay closed for as long as possible during the compression stroke to get as much bang as possible. Given that, I don't see how the suggesiont of advancing cam timing, opening the exhaust early would be good...???

Just trying to understand the dynamics and inform my choice - this is good - thank you!
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

June 08, 2014 12:48PM
Advancing the intake does increase the DCR.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 09, 2014 09:59AM
Some missing info_

170HP( 7A ):
In open before TDC 6
In close after BDC 38
Ex open before BDC 42
Ex close before TDC 3

Lift intake=10,5mm and lift ex=10,5mm

S2/S4/S6(AAN/ABY):
In open before TDC 3degrees
In close after BDC 25
Ex open before BDC 42
Ex close before TDC 9

Lift intake=9,5mm and lift ex=8,6mm
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

June 09, 2014 10:31AM
I run a GT2871 setup on my street car (1995 S6 Avant with the 2.2L 20v 5-cyl) and it is no spool monster. I get about 5-6psi at 3000rpm even in 4th and 5th gear and about 26psi by 3700RPM. Not sure how much of this is a tuning problem (off the shelf 034 tune for the GT2871) but I have tried running a manual boost controller in lieu of the N75 valve and it made little difference in spool rate. Of course, I know nearly nothing about turbo setups and this is the first car I have ever owned with one. Not sure it is helpful but below is my current setup---no restrictor. If you have similar performance, it would be pretty awful with a restrictor.

Details:
Wagner HO RS2-style exhuast manifold
Stock cams
0.5mm oversized exhaust valves
3" downpipe and exhaust with hi-flow cat
GT2871 (obviously with kkk flange) AR .63

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login