John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Super happy fun Swift engine build time
October 20, 2014 12:33PM
tdrrally
those would look sexy on about any thing thumbs up smiley

Well those were made in just a few minutes...The guy who does flame cut stuff for me had some 25-30 foot long 5" steel pipe so we did a couple CAD parts to get the basic shape, laid out the cardboard on the steel and zapped out a rectangle, got the monster crane and lifted the pipe up, slipped the sheet steel under and dropped the pipe on it and I just grabbed the sheetmetal and bent it up and held it bent while he whacked it 2-3 times so the metal took a set.

Tops were just a long D in about 092 or 100" stuff and I scribed a line around the edge about 3/8" in from the edge, drill those little holes so it wants to bend on the dotted line..Very easy and universal...Speaking of which I found info on wheel travel for you Moose-angst..
You wanna put down power? then you want more travel---and this is the way...
Get around 9.5 travel and it'll work goood.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

October 20, 2014 12:54PM
If the car doesn't sell and it sits over the winter and I'm not in baby hell next year, then I think extending the towers is probably the way to go. I'm not going to look into it right now for Pines, I have too many things going on to take on a project of that size (think baby stuff and house stuff. every. single. night.), but if I end up keeping the car I'll probably pair up with Ryan Huber/Rally/Race Developments and talk to you John.

I honestly don't know why they kept having coilovers bust in the stock dimensions. I don't know if it is from the bottom getting murdered or if it is from the twisting/torque of the knuckle on the coilover. That's what Peter Reilly from HotBits said (the latter), but I don't know personally because I've always had the bored out knuckle config which was the cause of 2 of 4 DNFs. If I keep the car, I want to do a couple other things to it like electric assisted steering too. These two would be some nice projects intermingled with diaper changes and baby stuff thumbs up smiley

For now though, that other spring shop looks pretty decent. They have some pigtail options on their site. I'll give them a try and see, if I do run Pines that should make it easy to get on stage.

As for the rear of the car, I don't know the weight but it's pretty damn light. I usually only carry 1 spare and besides the battery there isn't much back there.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 20, 2014 02:17PM
AlexeiS
If the car doesn't sell and it sits over the winter and I'm not in baby hell next year, then I think extending the towers is probably the way to go. I'm not going to look into it right now for Pines, I have too many things going on to take on a project of that size (think baby stuff and house stuff. every. single. night.), but if I end up keeping the car I'll probably pair up with Ryan Huber/Rally/Race Developments and talk to you John.

I honestly don't know why they kept having coilovers bust in the stock dimensions. I don't know if it is from the bottom getting murdered or if it is from the twisting/torque of the knuckle on the coilover. That's what Peter Reilly from HotBits said (the latter), but I don't know personally because I've always had the bored out knuckle config which was the cause of 2 of 4 DNFs. If I keep the car, I want to do a couple other things to it like electric assisted steering too. These two would be some nice projects intermingled with diaper changes and baby stuff thumbs up smiley

For now though, that other spring shop looks pretty decent. They have some pigtail options on their site. I'll give them a try and see, if I do run Pines that should make it easy to get on stage.

As for the rear of the car, I don't know the weight but it's pretty damn light. I usually only carry 1 spare and besides the battery there isn't much back there.

Pray for cold for Pines and just run stock junk if its 0*C..
As for the baby stuff.....god it flahes by so cherish every sleepy moment... I was cleaning some stuff in between the final bit of painting---(1 June till now has been a giant remodel/rebuild like 100% re-do in the house and I have done TONS of work inside and out) and I came across a little folder with photos of my Annoushka and Ninotchka when they were about 2 1/2 and under 1 respectively..(they're 9 and 7 now) Holy sheet (sigh)...
Every week is more amazment---and really not in the watered down current sense, but really "where'd they come up with that... like when Anna was 3 she was saying 'we ought to do _____, otherwise....." Otherwise!? 3 year old saying otherwise??!!

Seriously open the eyes and brain and memory cells as much as you can, don't forget these moments..

By the way, I opted not to bore the ID of the knuckle cause i thing it was thin.

Also to consider, you bore that and if as i suspect they are really weak, then each time they bend you have machine operation to do again...

better to mod the body and be done with it.. Run Pines and that gives you time to measure 6 times and only cut 4 times.

Try and find the weight in the mean time..

(How much travel you have in front? Tavarich Kuligowksij will be upgrading to inverted 50s this winter so he'll maybe have some excess inverted 40s---the lower tube might be just the thing..zip zap 1mm and poke it in the back..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
cris519
Christian Arboleda
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Suzuki Swift Gti

October 20, 2014 09:51PM
Hey John!

Those are my towers =) I think never showed you the final result!!!

I thought it will be a good idea to show you the final results.
Attachments:
open | download - 10291072_10152778134997376_2368329216336476898_n.jpg (57.1 KB)
10291072_10152778134997376_2368329216336476898_n.jpg
open | download - GOPR0070.JPG (49.2 KB)
GOPR0070.JPG
open | download - GOPR0065.JPG (40.2 KB)
GOPR0065.JPG
open | download - GOPR0066.JPG (43.6 KB)
GOPR0066.JPG
open | download - GOPR0070.JPG (49.2 KB)
GOPR0070.JPG
open | download - 1959253_10152778135172376_2931111075303670843_n.jpg (58.2 KB)
1959253_10152778135172376_2931111075303670843_n.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 21, 2014 12:48AM
Damn Chris, looks fawking great!
I knew you were worried but it came out excellent. Tell your guys good work..

Have you had any chance to try it out? Rememeber I said we want to try differnt settings, like go a bit lower and see how it feels...

How did the motor turn out? y le cambio y differential autoblocante???

I want to see how this goes.

Hey you never guess where I got a request for suspension from....Not Ecuador...but 6000km further South.
Ushaia, in Tierra Del Fuego Argentina..End of the road! And those guys have rally there!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

October 21, 2014 07:53AM
Woah, that looks amazing. Colour me jealous! And so clean. Definitely let us know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure Tall Pines is out for me now. An expense we knew was coming was a lot more than we though it was going to be, and the van has some sort of new issue. It has become fairly anemic accelerating on the highway. Probably a problematic cat or fuel or something, it doesn't seem to be missing, just weak. So, fuck it probably. I should just save for a setup like that!

I take it you're running megasquirt or something else, yeah? What ignition coils are those?
cris519
Christian Arboleda
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Suzuki Swift Gti

October 22, 2014 11:42PM
Thank you guys!

I drove the car just one stage and then one of the engine mounts broke down and you can imagine what happened to the engine sad smiley

But the engine and the suspension were both working great. Now the engine is been fixed and I am hoping to participate in a rally in Las Vegas on November.

I'm running Haltech and the coils are from an Audi 1.8. Congratulations on the baby! We just had one too smiling smiley oh boy its expensive but at the same time very rewarding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 01:32PM by cris519.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login