Posted by czwalga 
czwalga
steve czwalga
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

Lawn Mower engine problems....
June 19, 2014 11:50AM
Alright obviously this topic is way off in left field, but I figure some of you guys would be able to help me out with this one. Lawn mower just shut off didnt hit anything, was running fine.

No compression in the engine, take the head off. Intake valve is leaking pretty bad. I take the valve out clean it and the seat, push the valve back in and hold it shut pretty tight with my hand, still leaking horribly.

Everything looks fine, the seat and valve, but obviously not sealing. Could be as simple as just replacing the valve? Anything else I should think about? I was going to buy a new valve, head gasket. I have to order the valve. Or should i just try to lap the valve and seat? I've never done it before, so i'm wondering if its worth trying, or if i'm potentially going to make things worse.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
danster
Haggis Muncher
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

Re: Lawn Mower engine problems....
June 19, 2014 12:10PM
What engine type and spec?
Have you got oil in the engine? How much boost was it running when she blew?
You didn't try and add a sly shot of nitrous to speed up the process of cutting the lawn so you could grab a cold one all the sooner?

I'll go with burnt head gasket, tight valve clearance if OHV engine / or burnt exhaust valve, and a wild card of melted piston or thrown rod.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

June 19, 2014 05:58PM
I burned a valve in my 12 hp Briggs lawn mower. I tig welded material back onto the valve took it to the local engine machine shop he reground the valve for free and wished me luck. I lapped it in with a valve grinding compound threw it together and its ran fine ever sense. That was 4 or 5 years ago at least. Yes lap the valve in you can see how its sealing in the seat. I took the suction cup off there little lapper tool and stuck it in a drill. Tim Allen style binford valve grinding!

Not sure I would recomend doing that but for a cheap get it threw the summer lawn mower it works!

This year my mower kept quiting on me. First thing I did was check compression. nope all good. Turns out it was that dumb little fuel sylinoid under the carb.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 19, 2014 06:06PM
danster
What engine type and spec?
Have you got oil in the engine? How much boost was it running when she blew?
You didn't try and add a sly shot of nitrous to speed up the process of cutting the lawn so you could grab a cold one all the sooner?

I'll go with burnt head gasket, tight valve clearance if OHV engine / or burnt exhaust valve, and a wild card of melted piston or thrown rod.

Aye, doubtless too much boost on a too big turbo...So the things a dog and sputters like Elmer Fudd then once it hits 4800 KA-BOOM 3 bar boost all at once..
The root of all unhappiness is desire..
Wanting to do the whole lawn in 4 minutes while sideways is the real problem.
Lawnmower should pull a lot stronger with a Garrett T15.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 19, 2014 07:19PM
We do the drill powered valve lap also. Works pretty well most days. Mower carbs and the new gasoline sure don't get along well either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login