Posted by A1337STI 
mekilljoydammit
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

Re: AWD and LSD or spools - discuss !
August 11, 2014 11:35AM
Pete
Have you priced how much new production car diffs cost? They're freakin' expensive too. They are only cheap if you get them used. I bet if KAAZ made 150,000 diffs per year, 20 year old diffs would be cheap...

I'm not much of a Subaruologist anymore. Is the front diff at all related to the Hitachi rear diffs so you could make something from a Nissan rear-driver work?

Well, I'm seeing stuff like Eaton and Auburn Posis, Truetracs, and Ford TracLocs in the $400-600 range, new. None of them are Salisburies though; clutchpack load is just from springs so it's not apples to apples. Seems weird that they don't make Salisbury style diffs though - it's not like they're some newfangled technology or anything.

Precision Gear has a line of diffs called Power Brutes that look like they're Salisburies in a bunch of interesting applications and apparently reasonable prices (at resellers who I have no idea if they have any stock) but I can't find much in the way of folks who've used them. Apparently a Legacy application for the rear diff. May have to give them a call. I know there's the OEM R160 Salisbury available, but they're pretty rare these days.

Enh. Affordable Salisbury diffs will save rallying?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

August 11, 2014 12:44PM
mekilljoydammit
Well, I'm seeing stuff like Eaton and Auburn Posis, Truetracs, and Ford TracLocs in the $400-600 range, new. None of them are Salisburies though; clutchpack load is just from springs so it's not apples to apples.

Look closer. They use the tooth angle of the side and spider gears to add load to the clutches. Load on the spider gears tries to push the side gears outward, into the clutches.

Yes, the axle end float gets to be obscene when the clutch packs wear out on a C-clip rearend. I had one 8.8 rear that had 1/4" of end float on the axles. Good thing it was a drum brake car.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

August 11, 2014 05:59PM
Are the stock OEM R160 Salisbury available, rare these days. ? i keep finding them in pick n pulls.

could help that the reno/tahoe area gets a lot more subarus than some other areas

though like colorado / pacific north west should all have a bunch of cars in their yards.
mekilljoydammit
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

August 11, 2014 07:35PM
I've been watching forums and ebay for one to turn up as a cheaper alternative to a Cusco; around here, there never really were Subarus in the boneyards, and what there were got turned in for scrap value years back.

And yeesh, I forgot about that aspect of domestic posi diffs. I can't imagine that the spreading gears are at all easy on the spider gears.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

August 11, 2014 10:12PM
heymagic
I have a nearly new Cusco clutch pack out of Dave Hintzs Impreza , the carrier was broken at a side bearing if anyone needs parts btw...at least I think it is Cusco..Mr.Clark, paging Mr.Clark.

I'm pretty certain that was a KAAZ.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

August 12, 2014 05:24PM
Nothing in my In box yet Gene .. then again i'm not in a rush so .. meh .. smiling smiley

Daniel are you in need of a R160 lsd for your car (rally?) soon as i figure out which rear ends i'm going to use i could sell you one
mekilljoydammit
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

August 12, 2014 06:30PM
Alex: I'll take that specific one to PM to not keep the thread going offtrack. Like any other thread on here.

As a more general thing though, why aren't Salisburies used more, and for that matter, are there more companies making them than the Japanese ones and Gripper?
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 12, 2014 09:15PM
Alex, I'll get it..been busy getting everything ready for my sons wedding this Saturday.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

August 13, 2014 02:56PM
oh wow congrats! guess your sons wedding might need to be up on the priority list a bit higher than parts for my lawn ornament winking smiley

Daniel, do you mean in a production application? i think both drivers and manufacturers are getting lamer.

point in case, even Subaru did away with the viscous rear end . now you get that electronically controlled "we apply the brake to the inside wheel" CRAP. customers don't even know. the car producers know how stupid we are so why bother. sad smiley

lol but really with all the sensors and ecu controlled braking that's in place by ESC (probably federally mandated??) its so easy for the car companies to introduce fake LSD by re-using that same system..

even with the trac and ESC turned off my wifes car feels nannied when you do donuts ... feels like the ECU is giving me some power cut. sad smiley lame

wow i just thread jacked myself! lol
mekilljoydammit
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

August 13, 2014 04:02PM
Well, companies that make stuff thats fit into production housings / transaxles - I've been trying to figger out decent diffs for some other racey stuff and been coming up dry. I mean shit, I have a 3/4 finished chain drive Salisbury diff housing for a roadrace thing sitting under the milling machine at home - it's not like it's that damn complicated, just more hours than I really want to do again myself if I have other options.
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 13, 2014 10:57PM
Alex,
PM me your shipping addy. I got it boxed up today. I'll ship it and you can send the freight cost back whenever...
FunctionAuto
Tyler Patik
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 IMpreza

September 16, 2014 02:35AM
Alex, did you ever do anything about your center diff- having it repacked? I believe at 170k mine is dead/dying anyway so that might become thing I am interested in.

Welded center does alright for dirt but not snow?
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

September 16, 2014 12:56PM
No i have yet to do anything with my center diff. have yet to start the rally car tear down... I should have a viable center.. just need to make sure i have an upgraded one to go in there before i take mine out..

a fully locked center diff works great in the snow.. you didn't want to Turn did you? tongue sticking out smiley

You have to either drive more aggressive or more grandma . found some situations where on "auto" i could take a turn at 15 , but on fully lock it was 10 or 20+ (and sideways) fun in the middle of no where.

public nuisance in even a small ski town. you have a WRX, so chances are you don't feel like driving like grandma in the snow ... I'd stick to a 4kg .
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

March 13, 2016 02:05PM
I came back to this thread because I am putting a Detroit Locker in the RX-7 and I wondered if there were setup tips since there are different springs available to change how easily the ratchet mechanism can break free.

heymagic
The Chevy tech school used to have a vicious coupler out of an AWD supercharged Blazer. They pulled the rear driveline I believe , not sure why, and went to do burnouts. Factory guys have all the fun...anyhow they lit it off and proceeded to so over heat the coupler that the outside shell split all the way around . Made it a good tool for the classroom....

All the fun...

Edit: Forgot I made that video private. Imagine a 8000lb truck with the front driveshaft disconnected doing a huge smokey burnout...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2016 02:07PM by Pete.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login