WTB: VW 020 RnP

Posted by BobOfTheFuture 
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

Re: WTB: VW 020 RnP
December 17, 2014 06:13AM
danster
The 3.89 final drive was fitted to some mk1 Golf / Rabbits and that gearbox casing does not have the mounting bosses cast into it to attach a mk2 / 3 rear gearbox mount to the diff casing. And that type of casing will also not accept 100mm inner CVs.

I thought the 100mm drive cups would fit the transmission but the outer CVs did not fit the upright without clearancing.

(This may also be a US market GTI thing, since ours always seem to be different in some way. And all of the restoration products seem to be made for Golf GTI not "Rabbit" GTI, but that's a topic for another thread/forum)

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 06:16AM by Pete.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

December 17, 2014 03:38PM
RnP is here already. MTS works quick!

Enablers, All of you.
Towona
Tony P
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

December 18, 2014 11:32AM
Pete
danster
The 3.89 final drive was fitted to some mk1 Golf / Rabbits and that gearbox casing does not have the mounting bosses cast into it to attach a mk2 / 3 rear gearbox mount to the diff casing. And that type of casing will also not accept 100mm inner CVs.

I thought the 100mm drive cups would fit the transmission but the outer CVs did not fit the upright without clearancing.

(This may also be a US market GTI thing, since ours always seem to be different in some way. And all of the restoration products seem to be made for Golf GTI not "Rabbit" GTI, but that's a topic for another thread/forum)

I bought a MK1 trans once (back in the days before I knew the difference), and found out that it had 90mm cups and no way to mount the case to the subframe. I did manage to put 100mm cups on after filing down the case a bit, and I made myself a custom bracket to join the Mk2 trans mount to the Mk1 case, and it worked out just fine.

Runamuck Rally
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login