Buy, Sell & Trade
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Anarchists Group Discount on Ring & Pinions and other transmission parts!

Posted by ElectroTech 
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

Anarchists Group Discount on Ring & Pinions and other transmission parts!
March 25, 2016 01:55PM
Hey guys Giulio at Bacci Romano has agreed to offer a 10% discount on their in stock transmission parts, ring and pinions etc. Shipping is very reasonable, 56€ from Italy to the middle of nowhere Alberta.
Bacci Romano
Just mention "Rally Anarchy" to get the deal!

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 01:59PM by ElectroTech.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Erik Christiansen
Erik Christiansen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VW GTI

Huge thanks to Steve for working out this deal! I just bought some transmission parts from Bacci Ramano and got the 10% RA discount. Combined with the strong dollar it was an amazing deal!

Communication via email was excellent and shipping was very fast. I wired them payment on a Monday and by Thursday I had the parts in hand! Awesome!
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

Right on! What did you end up getting and what do you think of their parts so far? Pics would be nice.

Erik Christiansen
Erik Christiansen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VW GTI

8v gearset! I'm busy prepping for HDT but here is a teaser pic.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1192.JPG (52.3 KB)
IMG_1192.JPG
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

Re: Anarchists Group Discount on Ring & Pinions and other transmission parts!
July 06, 2016 06:36PM
It all went together well?
Trying to work out a similar RA discount with 3J Driveline for their line of plate diffs and other driveline parts. Regardless $730 right now for a diff is pretty awesome.

Erik Christiansen
Erik Christiansen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VW GTI

ElectroTech

Well, not quite... I hit one snag. It turns out the input shafts Bacci provide with the gearset are 25mm in diameter where they pass through the large ball bearing in the case. VW has been using 26mm bearings since about 1984, and the 25mm bearings are no longer available. FAG, Timken, etc... don't even manufacture them in that size anymore. Even 020 guru Broke can't source them. I ended up paying $200 to buy a new old stock bearing off ebay Deutschland. That stung even more because I had already bought the 26mm bearing which is not cheap (although I bought that bearing using the $500 hush money gift card from VW courtesy of my wife's TDI so I guess it's a wash). I did not figure this out until I went to press the case halves together which required no effort at all. Luckily I recognized the shaft should press fit into the bearing, and knew this was not normal!

For future reference, the part number for the 25mm bearing is 020 311 123 J. I can't figure out why they would use this bearing unless all their gearsets are new old stock from when this bearing was readily available.

Since it took me a while to source the bearing I just used 3-4-5 from the kit and ran with a stock 1-2 at High Desert Trails. I then pulled the tranny back out of the car took it all apart again and reassembled with the full gearset. I just put the transmission back in the car last night and should take it for a test drive this weekend.

In the photos below you can see the bearing does not fit tight on the shaft. The second photo shows the Bacci shaft on the left and the stock shaft on the right.
Attachments:
open | download - Bacci Shaft IMG_1288.JPG (41.8 KB)
Bacci Shaft IMG_1288.JPG
open | download - IMG_1296.JPG (45.1 KB)
IMG_1296.JPG
Pete
Pete Remner
Junior Moderator

July 07, 2016 11:53AM
Is it a press fit or a slip fit?

Seems to me if it's a slip fit, a spacer could be made, maybe something to press over the shaft and then cleaned up to the correct OD on the lathe.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

July 07, 2016 11:57AM
Erik Christiansen
ElectroTech

Well, not quite... I hit one snag. It turns out the input shafts Bacci provide with the gearset are 25mm in diameter where they pass through the large ball bearing in the case. VW has been using 26mm bearings since about 1984, and the 25mm bearings are no longer available. FAG, Timken, etc... don't even manufacture them in that size anymore. Even 020 guru Broke can't source them. I ended up paying $200 to buy a new old stock bearing off ebay Deutschland. That stung even more because I had already bought the 26mm bearing which is not cheap (although I bought that bearing using the $500 hush money gift card from VW courtesy of my wife's TDI so I guess it's a wash). I did not figure this out until I went to press the case halves together which required no effort at all. Luckily I recognized the shaft should press fit into the bearing, and knew this was not normal!

For future reference, the part number for the 25mm bearing is 020 311 123 J. I can't figure out why they would use this bearing unless all their gearsets are new old stock from when this bearing was readily available.

Since it took me a while to source the bearing I just used 3-4-5 from the kit and ran with a stock 1-2 at High Desert Trails. I then pulled the tranny back out of the car took it all apart again and reassembled with the full gearset. I just put the transmission back in the car last night and should take it for a test drive this weekend.

In the photos below you can see the bearing does not fit tight on the shaft. The second photo shows the Bacci shaft on the left and the stock shaft on the right.
What did Bacci Romano have to say? Seems like an easy fix on their part on the next run of parts. I agree with Pete, it's snug but wouldn't call it press fit. I might be interested in your 26mm bearing.

Erik Christiansen
Erik Christiansen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VW GTI

Pete
Is it a press fit or a slip fit?

Seems to me if it's a slip fit, a spacer could be made, maybe something to press over the shaft and then cleaned up to the correct OD on the lathe.

It certainly seems like a press fit to me. The bearing always pulls itself out of the case instead of off the shaft when you disassemble the tranny. And it takes a good amount of force in my press to put the bearing on the shaft. I thought about a spacer, but it would have to be 0.5mm thick and not deform when pressing on the bearing.
Erik Christiansen
Erik Christiansen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VW GTI

ElectroTech

What did Bacci Romano have to say? Seems like an easy fix on their part on the next run of parts. I agree with Pete, it's snug but wouldn't call it press fit. I might be interested in your 26mm bearing.

When I purchased the gears I asked if they had any tips or tricks to the install, but they said it goes together like any other 020. When I discovered this issue, they just told me I had to find the 25mm bearing, which they said was "stronger."

Overall it's still a good value for a full vwms gearset. Just need the right bearing. The 5th gear housing needed some minor clearancing but other than that it was straightforward.
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

July 07, 2016 11:26PM
Erik Christiansen
Overall it's still a good value for a full vwms gearset. Just need the right bearing. The 5th gear housing needed some minor clearancing but other than that it was straightforward.
How do you like it? Pretty tall first I'm sure in the pits maybe a little har on the clutch. What motor/mods are you running?
Pretty sweet deals with some discounting and a strong greenback. Under $3500 for VWMS gears, a R&P and a plate diff giving more performance than any mod one could do to a NA motor, a bargain as far as I can see in the FWD world......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login