Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

1983 VW Rabbit GTI Rally Car For Sale

Posted by btlzbub 
btlzbub
John Zima
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Something ghetto when I get a garage again.

1983 VW Rabbit GTI Rally Car For Sale
April 07, 2008 06:22PM
Howdy All--

I have a 1983 VW Rabbit GTI Rabbit for sale.

It has been on specialstage and rallyclassified, and I've just got a bunch of flakes to respond to the ad, so I figured, "What the hell! Let's try something different."

83 Rabbit GTI---OPTION 1 = $4000/obo
Fully caged, including door bars, sill bars, gussets, and diagonals. 1.5" DOM tubing. FIA roll cage padding.
Rally-America Logbook--it is all up-to-date and legal to race.

Seats: 2 OMP Record 2 steel framed seats with head restraint wings on them. FIA 8855-1999
Belts: 2 sets of 6 point camlock M&R Safety Harnesses. SFI spec 16.1, mfg dated June ’07...so they should be good for another season or two.
Suspension: Bilstein HD’s for suspension with ground control coil-over adjustable perches (not a rally suspension--but something to start with)
Motor: 1.8L decked with a 2.0 ABA head.
Gearbox: Stock 5 speed close ratio GTI
Lights: 4 qty Hella 1000FF

Terraphone Intercom
TerraTrip 202 plus rally computer
Deka Initimadator AGM battery mounted at rear
Custom intake and Megasquirt fuel injection
Pacesetter headers, cherry bomb muffler.
Quaife LSD

4 Hankook rally tires mounted to 14" wheels (they only have like 20 rally miles on them--plus like 20 road miles)
4 regular tires on VW teardrop 14" wheels

Reinforced jacking points under the sills

The car runs right now, but one of the motor mount bolts (but not the mount) broke right before it got put in the garage for the winter. So it isn’t driveable this second, but it isn’t dead. It starts up and runs strong...maybe a bit rich, but strong.

The rear right brake line is crimped and needs to be fixed. This was a "my rubber hose sprung a leak and we crimped the line to restore braking elsewhere" kinda thing.

Also included: paint to put on it (Nason Ful-Thane 2k Acrylic Urethane in metallic green, all the reducer and hardener too)

Other than that, it is a capable car. At 1800 lbs it is lightweight and the motor is more than enough to make it scream. It has a steel skidplate at the front, and UHMW at the rear.

It was a hillclimb car prior to its current rally life, and only made it halfway through Black River Stages before we lost our alternator tensioner and therefore our alternator and water pump. That is all fixed. It is solid, with a good cage. It won’t take much work to have a decent starter car.

We’re selling because I’m moving to Seattle next week and the co-owner moved to Albany...so it will be difficult to work on and race from opposite coasts. I can take pictures of anything you are more interested (some already taken at www.zsrallye.com/carpics). My email is johnzima@gmail.com ... The car is currently in North Chili NY

Also included:
Extra hood, spare transmission, exhaust, clutch, cv shafts and whatever else random I have for the car. The original dash is here, as is the original instrument cluster--if you want that hot 1983 look.

So OPTION 2 is the "just the car" option (don't call me bitter). Everyone that has come to look at it seems to not care about the $700/ea new seats or $200 in-date-belts or the $300 rally computer or $100 intercom or $400 in driving lights. They don't care about the $850 Quaife with 100 miles on it or the practically new $500 in tires and rims(we were slow driving it---and so they look pretty much like new). They don't care about the spare transmission or extra axle beam or extra set of tires and rims...or that I even have a spare car lying around until it goes to be crushed tomorrow. They think it is a 1983 VW Rabbit GTI with a nice motor and a sweet cage, that is worth about $1000 or $2000...Maybe it isn't worth more...and so this is the "John...try to be more sane" option...moving away from trying to sell it for less than the cost of the nice stuff (I was never diluted into thinking we would get near the much much more than $4k we have into the car out). So option 2 is the "you just get a car with a cage, and a logbook, and a nice motor, and a quaife, and the sweet Audi 4000 rims with Hankook rally tires. The nice/safe/prep stuff is NOT included. Well--maybe a fire extinguisher. I might even be willing to pair it with the two extra older Corbeaus I have lying around, and the out-of-date 5 point harnesses (Simpson) if you feel that a car can't come without seats and belts. It runs, has a good base fuel map on the megasquirt. I'll even throw in the AGM battery with it (my moving company won't let me take my sweet sweet battery with me). This option would be $2000/obo. Professionally caged car and Rally America logbook...runs...will drive with a bolt...steel and UHMW underbody. Bring your lawnchair if you want to sit in it.

johnzima@gmail.com
585-506-6226

John Zima
KC2QIS
Please Login or Register to post a reply
btlzbub
John Zima
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

Re: 1983 VW Rabbit GTI Rally Car For Sale
April 21, 2008 11:28AM
Sold the shell. Yay!

So the only things left to go are a set of 4 Hankook rally tires on 4 x 100 Audi rims... 2 qty OMP Record 2 seats ... 2 qty harnesses ... 1 terraphone ... 1 terratrip.

John Zima
KC2QIS
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 21, 2008 12:30PM
btlzbub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sold the shell. Yay!
>
> So the only things left to go are a set of 4
> Hankook rally tires on 4 x 100 Audi rims... 2 qty
> OMP Record 2 seats ... 2 qty harnesses ... 1
> terraphone ... 1 terratrip.
>
>
>
> John Zima
John,

just where are you now?
And what are you going to do now?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Mega Moderator

April 21, 2008 12:53PM
Terraphone/trip how much for them?

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 21, 2008 01:26PM
Dazed_Driver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Terraphone/trip how much for them?
>
> Feisty Peacock?
Yopu DO NOT want Terrible-phone or Terror-trip Tim.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mack73
Jason Wine
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Started a Golf... Never Finished It

April 21, 2008 05:23PM
Where are the wheels and tires? How much for them?

-Jason
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

April 21, 2008 06:40PM
If mack doesnt end up with wheel and tires i wouldnt mind getting em. I am on the east coast btw. I was running the white gti at BRS last fall

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
btlzbub
John Zima
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

April 26, 2008 10:34PM
Crap. I've been moving and shaking, so I haven't seen your posts!

I just moved up to Seattle. I'm in an apartment on Capitol Hill--and they won't let me have more than my two cars! I figure I've gotta take a break from dumping my money into race cars for about two or three years until I'm finanically set and back into a house again. So I guess it is back to working at the races again.

I've got the wheels and tires and seats and terratrip and terraphone and harnesses in my apartment (I moved in with a roommate, and he freaked out when my 2 stall garage showed up in our living room on Thursday). Deliverable very easily to anywhere in the Puget Sound region....will ship if people want...or pickup also available if you feel like it.

So here are my asking prices (OBO for all). I don't really know how much these things go for so this is my shot at pricing:
Wheels and tires: $400 --they were used for 4 stages at Black River Stages last year...they look pretty nice still -- little dirty but we were real slow and I don't think they are in bad shape...all mounted and balanced. The rims were spray-painted, so they don't look super great, but they're just for a rally car, right?
Terraphone Prof Amp: $75
Terratrip 202+: $200 -- I'm still unpacking, but I still have all the manuals and everything for both of these. I also have new wires and connectors for them

Oh yeah, I also have a sweet Autometer Phantom Memory 5" tach (no stupid shift light) I was hoping to maybe get $60ish for (it is exactly like the one at http://www.atlanticspeed.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1025&idcategory=0 )

I am going to post some pictures in the next day when I find my camera. Right now I'm trying to bribe my roommate with booze so he doesn't kill me.

John Zima
KC2QIS
mack73
Jason Wine
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Started a Golf... Never Finished It

April 27, 2008 12:08PM
Edit: nevermind on the wheels. Forgot about my large brakes. Probably won't fit under 14's.

-Jason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2008 12:12PM by mack73.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login