Posted by fiasco 
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

XR4Ti shell, NH, $400 obo
July 10, 2008 10:28PM
I have a mortgage, one kid, another on the way, no trust fund, and I'm a stay at home dad. Unless a winning lottery ticket ends up in my lap, I'm not going to be driving a rally car any time soon. I figure I'm better off unloading this and buying a beater snowmobile to run on hot stages or something else to antagonize people.

So my eight plus year, never really gotten off the ground rally car project is up for sale. It's a stripped 86 XR4Ti, no sunroof, no glass, no motor, no trans, no brakes. The cage won't pass anybody's tech and needs to be popped out, as it has a halo hoop (roundy round design), the floor plates are insufficient and have rust holes where some moron (me) never got around to painting after the cage got (partially) welded in place. Also, the rear stays aren't right, and the roundy round guy thought a Y would be fine instead of an X in the main hoop.

There are many dents and dings, as the shell has been handled by backhoes, forklifts, bucket loaders and Subaru Legacies, usually with insufficient help to stabilize or steer the car or stop it from running into tree/woodpile/4Runner/etc.

I haven't really thought through what else I have that can go with it, but I'm fairly certain I can provide bumpers and covers, a spare steering rack, diff and core halfshafts, used brake calipers and cylinders (cores), I may even have a disassembled engine to send with it. I could also probably help with wiring, lights, etc.

Take a look at the pictures. No, it's not a project for the faint of heart. But scrap steel is at the point where I could probably load the car with the parts I listed above, haul it 30 miles to the scrap yard and get a check for $400 for it.

The wood pieces are not a NASCAR safety device, just add plywood to keep car cover from caving in...

mmmm, rust.

I also have an 87 shell, stripped, sunroof, red.

I also have a Sparco Sprint suit (mfg 2005 or 6), blue size 58. Only tried it on. $400.

andrewsteere (at) tds (dot) net

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2008 10:29PM by fiasco.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
pikespeakgtx
Michael LeCompte
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda GTX BPT - - - - - Not full-fledged - - - - - More like fledgling.

Re: XR4Ti shell, NH, $400 obo
July 11, 2008 03:00AM
Geez it doesn't look as bad as you made it sound. Good luck with the sale.

Michael LeCompte
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

July 12, 2008 12:15PM
pikespeakgtx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geez it doesn't look as bad as you made it sound.
> Good luck with the sale.
>
> Michael LeCompte

I'm not one to sugar coat stuff I'm unloading. I'd rather under promise and over deliver. I should get serious and post it on some other sites, probably best to see if somebody could make a roundy-round car out of it.

If I can't get near scrap metal prices for the shell, I'll drag it back into the woods and buy more lottery tickets.

--Andrew, not at NEFR

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
tedm
Ted Mendham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
once upon a time drove WRX, Sentra, SAAB 99

July 14, 2008 02:22PM
The floor plates are bigger than my FIA homo. ones.
Rally Anarchy needs to develop a free logbook download option.

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
Haztoys
David Rodgers
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Mitsu truck ..And needing something new just not sure what..???

July 15, 2008 12:56PM
tedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The floor plates are bigger than my FIA homo.
> ones.
>
>
> Ted Mendham
> www.rensport.net

Cage rules are nuts ... I can see needing an "X" brace in the middle.. But the hoop cage will work and did for alot of years... Just dumb...

Flame away..

vbares
Vittorio Bares
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

August 05, 2008 02:16PM
Ok - how about we make this an entry for next years 24 hours of lemons - the cage will pass their inspection - I guarantee it.

Andrew - you may not be able to rally right now - but let me tell you how much fun the 24hrs of lemons were - a freeking hoot! and more seat time than you can imagine...

I know Ted would be in on this - who else?
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

August 05, 2008 03:10PM
Well, LeMons 08 is in what two weeks? That's not going to happen. But maybe 09. I probably have enough parts to do it, although my dad just picked up another XR4 to resurrect, which may mean I just lost Fiasco's engine in a mechanic's lein (since it's been stored free in his barn for six years).

It's been really hard to get motivated to put this thing on a circle track website (I don't really want to give up on it), so I may also just put the thing in the garage and start putting a legal cage in it so I can not be able to afford rally entry fees anyway!

LeMons is a good backup plan. Earlier this year we talked of dragging a $50 Saab 900 ice racer down for it, but that never happened.

But I bet Ted, Mike, Brett, Sanborn and probably others would be interested.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

August 05, 2008 10:31PM
Participated in the Lemons south - was on the DawgHouse Racing team...

http://jalopnik.com/399755/the-24-hours-of-lemons-south-2008-uber-galle

You'll notice an XR4ti was down there too...

Agreed it would be for 09 - not 08

Boy that was the shizzle dizzle - 200 miles of seat time each!
tedm
Ted Mendham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

August 07, 2008 07:22AM
I like it. I'm in for 200 miles of rear drive stupidity. My 200 will be all donuts.

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

August 14, 2008 05:45PM
So what the F boyz - lets get it on!!

Setup some build nights - I'll come over and drink some beer - bang some mettle - whatevah!
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

August 14, 2008 06:09PM
I need to get my street cars together first! And I'm out of spare motors, so I'll have to build one...wait I know of one more possibility.

Got the street XR4 running, but no exhaust or bumper and lights or fans, horn, etc. I pulled it out of the garage so I could concentrate on other projects here in sunny Nude Hamster (it's made Seattle look like Arizona lately) and got my sister-in-law's Volvo springs swapped out. Then backed in my Legacy to swap out some suspect wheel studs. Found the left rear brake caliper had seized and the pads had gone metal on metal and the rotor was trashed.

So I said screw it, I've been putting off a bunch of maintenance for a year and the car is at the point where I don't let my wife drive it. So I ordered up brakes, struts, ball joints so I wouldn't have any issues come inspection time in three months. Fast forward to me trying to pull ball joint on left side. SNAP goes the bolt in the steering knuckle. Out comes the drill and a lot of swearing. Drilling not exactly successful, I should have pulled the spindle instead of trying to freehand with a cordless drill for an hour (over several battery charges).

Ouch goes my wrist from tendonitis to sprained (and not the one I nearly sawed off). So the car has been sitting a few days while my wrist heals up some. It's a lot better today, so I finished the rear brakes, and ordered a couple of junkyard steering knuckles that hopefully aren't rusted as badly as what I have. I need to go index the cam bolts on the front struts and go pull those bits so I can hopefully thrash it back together as soon as everything arrives.

But this doesn't have much to do with selling my rally shell. Not that I really expected to in the first place, especially with my "salesmanship".

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
tedm
Ted Mendham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

August 15, 2008 09:14AM
Ok, we'll wad up the Legacy at 24hours of Lemons then.
I have some r-compound tires that will bolt right up.

They shoot horses, don't they? ;-)

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

October 12, 2008 07:10AM
Hmmm, I feel snow in the air. Time to weeedwack out some space where I parked it last winter or dump it. As soon as I finish rebuilding the deck (another project that ballooned out of control).

Willing to trade for ratty ass snowmobiles that run, or maybe a 12 gauge pump shotgun. smiling smiley

But I'm probably just going to drop it back in the woods, put a bunch of tarps over and under it, and see about LeMons next year.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

April 11, 2009 02:44PM
I'm bumping this back up to the top. Make me an offer on the "caged" shell. I know the price of scrap metal took a major hit due to "too much recession, man".

I also have a red 87 shell and (possibly) a black no sunroof 85 (that IIRC has a nasty interior) available. The red 87 with sunroof is the best shell. The black 85 could be made a runner with the least effort (add drivetrain).

There are engines and transmissions kicking around amongst the piles, but I really can't quite remember what I have. I think the engine supply may be down to a couple disassembled blocks and Fiasco's old engine, which should be bronzed and displayed in my living room. Pretty sure there's a Turbo Chicken T5 that probably has no synchros left in it, think all the T9's are gone. I have a nice Hanlon built T5 with 2.95 first and a 0.80 (or so) fifth in it, but that's going to cost real money if I sell it.

John's going to wonder what I'm doing with the suspenders...I think I'm going to put my JVAB/FoMoSpo 41mm front Billies on my 88 street car, and see about redoing the rear disk brakes so the Coleman/Bilstein hybrid things you made will fit. But first I need to put the finishing touches on that car so I can get it inspected.

Yes, this is one disorganized listing. But I'm in a liquidating mood.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2009 02:46PM by fiasco.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

May 15, 2009 08:07PM
Piccies of the other shells. The black one might be spoken for, gotta check up on that.

kid and dog not included...

a rack and miscellany

a beat to snot front bumper

borla exhaust bits and other stuff

under the red car, the black one is much worse...

a beautiful (ha ha) fuel tank

Shells roll out on whatever mismatched/space savers I have unless you want to buy wheels...some parts I'd like a little cash for...the shells, well I just want them gone.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login