dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

'84 Scirocco Gp2 rally car
March 18, 2010 08:48AM
details on the car...
'84 Scirocco - Group 2 (relocated battery, non-stock brakes)

-stock 1.8L 8V CIS engine; head was pulled before I ran Pines 2007 to fix some broken exhaust studs. Got new injector seals and all that stuff.
-Bilstein coilover suspension... but it's not a proper rally suspension. Road-race suspension, short stroke. And the springs are too stiff.
-aluminum skidplate under engine and under fuel pump
-HDPE underbody panel between floor and rear axle to protect fuel tank
-braided stainless fuel lines running through cabin (proper AN bulkhead fittings)
-brake lines inside cabin w/ adjustable proportioning valve to limit rear.
-bigger 10.1" brakes up front, stock drums in the rear.
-battery relocated to rear trunk/hatch... heavyduty battery cable, 150A manual trip/reset circuit breaker (incase of a major electrical short), Hella kill switch in dash panel. Marine battery box + Optima red-top sealed battery. (manually trip-able breaker is nice... want to do electrical work, pop the breaker instead of unhooking battery cables)

-CARS cage installed in early 2000's (forget exact year). Car ran GCFR once, then was sold to a few different people. Logbook was lost (Warren Haywood IIRC), but was replaced by Rob Metcalf when I bought the car and updated the cage (yes, it has the roof-bar update, so the cage is updated)

-Sparco seats. co-driver is fixed, driver is on Sparco seat track for adjustment. (Seats are FIA I believe)
-Leaf Racing belts (IIRC they are 6-point... but I think they will be expired)

-New windshield with minor cracking in one corner... it's a pop-in type, not glued in... so my window guy broke the glass 'popping' it in. Passed certification no problem, and the scrutineers at Pines gave me no issues (can't be easily seen, not in field of vision). Also have spare new windshield in the basement.

-Terraphone Professional with the kit to interface to a 2-way radio, and audio in/out.
-wiring for Terratrip, and mounting bracket. Buy/borrow a terratrip (I borrow Leo Url's 202+)... plug it in, turn it on, works great.

updated some wiring... aluminium switch panel in dash w/ resettable circuit breakers. Not a cheap Canadian Tire circuit breaker/fuse panel... proper breakers, good switches, etc. Wired for driving + fog lights, and extra pre-wired for spots.

Lots of little things...
-switch to bypass rad fan to run all the time
-switch to bypass the "high-beams for rally lights" rule (up = power to aux light switches with high beams, middle = off, down = power to aux light switches at all times)... great for when you need to shut off the engine on-stage, but want to still have lights.
-bright interior light mounted to cage, with lit switch in dash panel that driver/co-driver can reach.
-roof-mounted popup vents for driver and co-driver... open forward or backward. BRAND NEW... installed after Pines to replace older leaking vents.
-fuel tank was removed after Pines and cleaned, along with the pre-pump strainer/filter replaced... it was filled with rust, which strained the pump, which is why the car ran so poorly at Pines.
-freshly build exhaust
-MOMO steering wheel adaptor + momo wheel.

STRONG floor... when I bought the car it was very rusty, and had been poorly patched. I spend HOURS AND HOURS welding on the floor, reinforcing/strengthening it. This included the seat mounting points.

TONS of spares... including:
-2.0L ABA engine (no injectors though)
-transmission (2 I believe)
-axles
-suspension bits
-'83 parts car
-fenders
-full set of 14" wheels with street snow tires (only ran Pines... almost no wear on them... no flats)
-14" wheels w/ old Michelin gravel tires (got used, ran them at the rallyX on my Fox)
-tail lights

BRAND NEW Hella H4 high/low beams... never installed... They didn't show up till Saturday afternoon at Pines (delivered by Paul Henshall... HSLrallysport)

Not included... no lights... I will include the light bar and all the wiring, but I'm keeping the lights!

Don't really have any pics handy... couple shots from Pines '07... http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?D=Doug_Tompsett

Asking $5000, but open to offers. All the car really needs is a better suspension. Located in Norwood... in a garage, up on stands, where I left it when I moved almost 2 years ago.

I will be at the farm on Easter Weekend; if you are interested in the car, please let me know. It's stored in the garage. Extras can be discussed, including Audi 2.0L (3A) engines + rebuild parts, etc.

dtompsett -at- hotmail.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: '84 Scirocco Gp2 rally car
March 18, 2010 12:15PM
dtompsett Wrote:
--
> Asking $5000, but open to offers.

All the car
> really needs is a better suspension.
Located in
> Norwood... in a garage, up on stands, where I left
> it when I moved almost 2 years ago.

>
> dtompsett -at- hotmail.com

Well that's easy enough!
>

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

March 18, 2010 12:39PM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well that's easy enough!

And thats why it's "open to offers", cause a good suspension is a valuable component to a rally car, and a prospective buyer needs to factor that in when buying.

I spent a lot of time sorting out all sorts of problems with the previous owner's work... and rigged up a suspension to run Tall Pines... but it's just not the right setup.

I still loved the "fire extinguisher bracket fastened to the floor with self-tapping screws... right through the floor, and into the gas tank." Fixed that! (including patching the hole on the gas tank when it was professionally cleaned AFTER Pines... in-tank pre-filter was completely clogged.)
hudson
Andrew McNally
Ultra Moderator

March 19, 2010 06:58AM
> I still loved the "fire extinguisher bracket
> fastened to the floor with self-tapping screws...
> right through the floor, and into the gas tank."
> Fixed that! (including patching the hole on the
> gas tank when it was professionally cleaned AFTER
> Pines... in-tank pre-filter was completely
> clogged.)
>

That's special!

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

March 19, 2010 08:43AM
hudson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> That's special!
>

Oh no... "special" is discovering the little mistake they made when the welded the passenger rear cage foot...

The vent piping (with roll-over valve) is up in the wheel well... and when I pulled off the rear fender liner to remove fuel tank hoses (to remove the tank) I discovered they had essentially melted through those vent hoses when welding the cage in.

Imagine trying to figure out why flames are shooting out your rear fender while you're inside the car welding the cage in! (burning off the fuel vapour from those hoses)

Fixed that too. winking smiley
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

March 30, 2010 03:05PM
Bump... I will be at the farm in Norwood over Easter. Friday to Sunday.

Planning to button it all up, throw some tires on, fresh gas, battery, and take it for a spin. (The perks of having a bit of land to drive on).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 09:52AM by dtompsett.
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

Photos!
April 07, 2010 08:41AM
Had it out and running this weekend. Started fine, ran great! Note the brand new roof vents; just washed the car, and not so much as a drop of water came in.

Photos!

Set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtompsett/sets/72157623790865066/

Note, only drivers seat shown... passenger seat is identical, and tucked away in the basement for safe-keeping. It IS included.

I updated the roof bar when I got the car:

(look carefully... remove two bolts at top, whole panel pivots on hinge mounted to floor... easy access)

dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

May 23, 2010 08:39PM
Sold! Please feel free to delete.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login