Posted by WRCWRXSTI 
frumby
Jason Hynd
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

Re: wrapped my GTX around a tree.
October 20, 2011 04:37PM
1/ Despite the hand wringing I suspect that most of us have made similar mistakes with regard to driving impaired at least once in our lives. I did twice, and that was MUCH less than many of my other college friends. Doesn't make it right. The fact that someone gets caught means that they either were drunker, the unlucky percentage, or do it more often thus upping their chances of getting nabbed. The act of DUI is a terrible decision, and shatters so many lives... but be careful about throwing stones in a glass house.

2/ Family is all you got. In the very end no one is going to care if you rallied for a few years. If it's fixable then fix it.

3/ Military recruiters can get 'waivers' for alcohol and drug related offenses. It goes in your record, and if you get in trouble down the line your Commanding Officer can use it to establish a pattern of misconduct. Regardless, military service shouldn't be a decision based around the desire to get out of DUI reprecussions. It has many benefits, and many drawbacks. It's not social welfare. You have to actually work, and work hard to stay in. Now there is this thing called Perform To Serve, and it's really affecting our retention. There are some good people we can't keep around because of it, and if you're not at least trying then you won't stay in.

4/ Unfortunately a lawyer might be a good place to start. This DUI will affect you for the rest of your life in ways you can't predict right now. Not getting into Canada is just the start. Part of the application process for every airline asks if I've had a DUI. Do you think I'll get hired if I check yes? Remember that there is a line of people behind me trying to get the same job... no way I get to an interview! Now consider that I've spent over 13 years of my life flying in the military. To get hired by a Major Airline (not a Regional) that kind of experience is basically required. Thousands of hours of time in the sky and an entire carreer. All gone if I get a DUI. Many places are the same way. Want to work in the Merchant Marine as an Officer? You get the picture. You can pay a bunch of fines, or you can pay a bunch to a lawyer and maybe not have a stain on your record forever.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 20, 2011 08:50PM
Thank you Frumby. And gawddamn Gene too.

The military-industrial complex is an evil to our American economy and our civil liberties and never put better than by former General of the whole stinking mess that was Allied forces in ETO in WWII then 2 time President Dwight Eisenhower, a Republican no less.

But whatever the reasons a person wants to serve in the military, and note well that is just one way to serve the country, getting a get out of jail pass in my book should instantly disqualify you.

Recognising you need an external structure to impose disciple, OK, fine.
Or as a junior Lieutenant in the rangers I used to ride with, you really just "love blowing up shit....why filling a 55 gal drum full of waste oil and diesel full of 50 cal tracer rounds till it just blew up" I can see that.

But what I don't understand is how any healthy person who claims they want to "go racing" cannot figure the trade off deal "I wanna go racing, therefore I need to___________________". For me at 17 it was to work and save money then get on an airplane, fly to England and buy a cheap car, then get myself to Sweden. So much did I want to get good that i left friends and family and all the comforts of USA and worked in heavy industry and lived like a peasant (lost a lotta weight the first couple of years cause quite literally it was a choice of food or gas for the bike--any left over gas went in the car.
Simple prioritizing. To do this I must do that. No beer till I was getting paid to ride when I was 25 or 26. No vacations, no nice car, hell no car more than $175 tops!
But I went racing, hard racing, got my ass massakrated badly, but I learned disciple, prioritizing what yields results, what's fluff, got insane physical condition (10 years later a friend from California who had visited in summer '76 dropped by and had some photos and I swear to god I did not recognize myself in a photo, a different animal. Lean. Muscles! I am not joking). I learned to work on cheap cars, learned diesels, gearboxes, and evidently I learned a wee bit about suspension, in addition to welding and lathes and mills which "merely" paid the rent. And I learned philosophy, and languages, and politics, and class consciousness---who really makes the value in a society.
So it was initially a simple trade off, but became more complex.
And i think for many the military can also give those coplex results..

But you have to WANT it, not as some lousy get outta jail free or like my own brother, join the Navy to avoid getting drafted during the Vietnam fiasco. For him the Navy taught him some skills but since he entered it 'with ill intents", he didn't benefit, and remained to this day ignorant and a bullshitter--as if i wasn't listening to his weighing his choices in the same room..

Serve if that's your intention, but just as well find something that does more good than just an escape from some, unfortunately, typical stupidity..

We're all stupid in our own ways..

(apologies to Leo: All happy families are ...how's the line? Tolstoy: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way ..."winking smiley

(see!? I even learned some gawddam cultcha!)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 20, 2011 09:41PM
HiTempguy
Dazed_Driver
although, it will take more than more teachers with better pay to fix our education system

Pay has nothing to do with it. The number 1 education improvement is better teachers, which is affected by pay nil. No different than business people or anything else, its not the pay which makes someone great. Does it increase the likelihood of better quality candidates wanting the job to begin with? Sure. But the whole attitude towards teaching needs to be changed in general.

This PSA brought to you by someone who reads The Economist too much smiling smiley

And what happened to bashing the OP? I've saw John get madder about sillier things on SS...

Actually repeated studies world wide have show aside from extremely simple repetitive manual labor, that increasing pay has a not dimishing affect on performance but a revese effect..
I'll look for links to the studies...And a Youtube piece.
Wifey worked for years in top US accounting and management firm in China in human resources management, I showed her thios stuff so its saved somewhere.
Increasing pay has revese effect on productivity..

Increased passion for the work= unlimited effort and huge increases in productivity--particularly in "intellectual" areas

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 20, 2011 09:41PM
I agree with Jason..get an attorney. Damage control is paramount at this stage.

Yes I'd guess many of us have taken chances , some get caught, some don't. Make a mistake, man up, move forward. Mistakes are stupid if nothing is learned. Hopefully you learn from these last few weeks and things get better. Work at patching things up with your dad. Chin up lil' buckeroo, at least you had a rally car than ran.....
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 20, 2011 11:44PM
the surprising science of motivation only 11 minutes
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com

cf
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
Author(s) Daniel Pink
Language English
Genre(s) Non-fiction
Publisher penguin group
Publication date 2009
Media type Print (Hardback), E-book
ISBN 978-1-84767-888-1

Drive is a book by Daniel Pink. In it, he suggests that motivation with rewards or fear of punishment, dominated by extrinsic factors what he refers to as money is broken. The book claims that we have now moved into an era where motivation is inner thing, and that to work it needs to be actioned through autonomy, mastery and purpose.[1]
[edit] Twitter summary

In his book Daniel Pink has made a Twitter summary of what the book is about.

"Carrots & Sticks are so last Century. Drive says for 21st century work, we need to upgrade to autonomy, mastery and purpose."[2]

[edit] References

1. ^ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=mind-reviews-drive-the-surprising-truth
2. ^ Pink, Daniel H. (2010). Drive - The Surprising Truth about what motivates us. 2815 of 3967: Canongate Books. ISBN 978 1 84767 888 1.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Drive:_The_Surprising_Truth_About_What_Motivates_Us&oldid=453900876";

Daniel H. Pink is an American author and journalist. From 1995 to 1997, he worked for Vice President Al Gore in the capacity of chief speechwriter from 1995–97, and before that as an aide to Secretary of Labor Robert Reich.[
Pink received a Bachelors degree from Northwestern University and a degree in law (JD) from Yale Law School, although he has never practiced law.
[edit] Professional background

Pink is the author of four books that focus on the changing workplace: New York Times bestsellers, A Whole New Mind:Why Right Brainers Will Rule the Future and Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us as well as Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself and The Adventures of Johnny Bunko: The Last Career Guide You'll Ever Need."
London 2008

His articles on business and technology have appeared in The New York Times, Harvard Business Review, Fast Company and Wired.
[edit] Published works
[edit] Books

* 2009: Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, ISBN 978-1594488849
* 2008: The Adventures of Johnny Bunko: The Last Career Guide You'll Ever Need, ISBN 978-1594482915
* 2006: A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future, ISBN 978-1594481710
* 2001: Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself, ISBN 978-0446678797

[edit] Articles

* Japan, Ink: Inside the Manga-Industrial Complex (Wired, November 2007)
* What Kind of Genius Are You? (Wired, July 2006)
* Pomp and Circumspect (New York Times, June 4, 2005)
* The Book Stops Here (Wired, May 2005)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 11:46PM by john vanlandingham.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

October 21, 2011 12:03AM
What I mean by that Tim, is your argument is that people will loose their jobs. I pointed out that just the money from the top 20 would supply 3+ million people with a paycheck with out doing anything. Do those 20 company employ 1% of the US population? This country is in a sorry state, but OUR government spends 60% of our budget on defense? And universal health care is a loosing proposition? People are homeless, kids are hungry ect... Bullshit.

Dazed_Driver
phlat65
Well Tim, if you took the money from the top 20 companys and divided it by the median income of a US adult resident, it would supply 3,225,806 people with an annual salary. Thats roughly 1% of the us population.

If you took the money from the top 10, and divided it equally amongst all 307,000,000 Americans, we would each get $230.

I'm not sure I follow. What are you getting at? (not trying to be an ass, I'm confused by your post)

All I'm saying is that if the government is paying those companies to make missiles/planes/rockets/etc, someone has to be in there churning them out. They may have crazy profits, but they're also providing jobs (the people churning them out). So, if you took away the contracts, there is no longer need for those employees.
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 21, 2011 10:25AM
And they are spending money they/we don't have on stuff that really doesn't have a solid benefit to most people stateside. I think they should change the term from defense spending to offense spending. I didn't pay much attention in history but it seems like I think most of the warrior nations that did much business outside their own borders ended in collapse in fairly short order.

phlat65
What I mean by that Tim, is your argument is that people will loose their jobs. I pointed out that just the money from the top 20 would supply 3+ million people with a paycheck with out doing anything. Do those 20 company employ 1% of the US population? This country is in a sorry state, but OUR government spends 60% of our budget on defense? And universal health care is a loosing proposition? People are homeless, kids are hungry ect... Bullshit.

Dazed_Driver
phlat65
Well Tim, if you took the money from the top 20 companys and divided it by the median income of a US adult resident, it would supply 3,225,806 people with an annual salary. Thats roughly 1% of the us population.

If you took the money from the top 10, and divided it equally amongst all 307,000,000 Americans, we would each get $230.

I'm not sure I follow. What are you getting at? (not trying to be an ass, I'm confused by your post)

All I'm saying is that if the government is paying those companies to make missiles/planes/rockets/etc, someone has to be in there churning them out. They may have crazy profits, but they're also providing jobs (the people churning them out). So, if you took away the contracts, there is no longer need for those employees.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Godlike Moderator

October 21, 2011 01:54PM
Oh, well, first off, I wasn't arguing. Or at least, I wasn't trying to argue? I reread what I wrote, and I see where I said "MY POINT WAS THIS"

I was just stating that at least people are having jobs from it.

Then I said that the money could be used better. I then asked a question, where might the people go?

See? No arguing. Stating an opinion, an agreement, and then asking a question.

Then everyone thought I was promoting spending far too much on building military items.

And BTW, I just think teachers should be payed more, personally. It find it ridiculous you can make millions a year to hit a ball with a stick or tackle people (although, football players should be paid more than baseball!) but you hardly make anything being a teacher. Just my opinion.

so yea. Hence my confusion.

I guess now rereading what I wrote, the one think I was trying to convey would be the people who were working at those companies would be out a job... which would add to the unemployment.

And for the record, I am not for spending 60+ % for military stuff nor do I think everyone is motivated by money.

Seriously you guys. I'm not out to argue about EVERYTHING.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

October 21, 2011 06:55PM
Not arguing with you Tim, just trying to clear up my quote that you did not understand.

BTW, I hate pollitical discusions. So I am out.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

October 21, 2011 06:58PM
Get a lawyer.

Join the military if you want to straighten out and you have the least motivation to do so. It won't be wasted time.

Whatever you do, try to get out of the DUI one way or another. It, or any other criminal past, will kill you in the future.
SeanP
Sean Lane
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Dodge Neon G2, bruised

October 21, 2011 07:10PM
Most bizarre for sale thread ever. I will up my offer to $250.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Godlike Moderator

October 21, 2011 08:10PM
Ok, now I am officially confused! hahahaha

I'm out too.

To the OP, I'm 22. It's not hard to NOT do what you did. Seriously.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 21, 2011 09:53PM
Dazed_Driver

Wait, did you finish your rally car? Kinda hard to get a DUI in a rally car if yours is on jack stands. winking smiley

Dave
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Godlike Moderator

October 21, 2011 11:02PM
Ooooooooh....

I see what you did there!
Morison
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

October 22, 2011 11:16AM
Dazed_Driver

Actually - it's extremely hard to not do what he DID.
First thing would be figuring out time travel...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login